Author Topic: Insane idea looking for Feedback  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Insane idea looking for Feedback
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
Hi all,

I am after some feedback in case any of you have tried the following setup.

I was thinking of 1 unique system with 3 races and maybe a spoiler human controlled. All orbits will be fixed. The idea is to have perhaps 10 or 11 stars (maybe more if I go crazy) with decent planets and asteroids each. The main central star will have a series of Asteroids rings ensuring connections between the stars.

The dimension will be huge, light years huge. So you will be playing on fixed territory (outposts on asteroids will be crucial to expand and cross borders) in one unique map allowing for an extra layer of strategy. JPs in the system will be disabled along with LPs. Exploration will change as it will be more orientated on territory control and resource find rather than going towards the unknown. I don't mind it though.

My doubts are:

Speed? How much will Aurora be able to handle I wonder
minerals? Shall I keep random or ensure some vital amounts somewhere, I like the idea of not knowing at all what is going on.

Also, I have a question. Will stars still orbit? I can see the option to freeze Planets and such but no mention to stars. If so that would be not ideal and I don't know because I have never actually deactivated the orbital motions.

Eventually, to deactivate star orbit could go in the suggestion  8)

The following users thanked this post: serger

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Insane idea looking for Feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 10:02:49 PM »
I think stars will continue to orbit. The check options for body orbits are really intended to be used for reducing computational load of calculating all those orbits (so performance should actually improve, at least in that way). Stellar orbits are so few that they have a minimal effect anyways, which is why they aren't given as an option - I don't think Steve anticipated such an "insane idea"!  ;)

I would say to have most of the setup be based on planets orbiting a single star - three planets at the same radius with 120-degree offset is probably unrealistic but would be Fair and Balanced™. However a far-out orbiting star could be interesting as the home of a human-controlled "spoiler" race that periodically raids or attacks in-system, adding some temporal element to the proceedings although maybe it is too far away and the orbit would be too slow, so one race would suffer disproportionately.

In terms of performance the only concern I can think of would be sensors and detection, since everyone is in the same system detection would always be checked and this can be quite expensive especially with a lot of fleets...I think disabling civilian fleets is a must here.

I would also suggest to be aware of how small ranges can actually be... typical ships that players build have only 20-30b km ranges but also only 1:10 or 1:12 fuel-to-engine size ratios when using 1.0x EP modifiers, where 1:3 is optimal so ranges can easily be 3-4x this even with military engines. There are some interesting options in the DB modding direction you can try (or even combine) to make space truly feel smaller: cutting fuel efficiency (I have tried as much as 1/20 reduction and it certainly shrinks space when you cannot travel so far!) and/or cutting engine power - the latter I have tried at 1/5 vanilla values, and it is interesting but changes a lot of other balance aspects, notably beam weapon ranges become far more significant giving lasers and particle beams a much larger advantage over railguns for example, not to mention missiles being extremely vulnerable to area defensive fire. You can quickly get stuck down the rabbit hole of further balance changes, but it can also be quite interesting what kind of game results and the ship designs you develop.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:46:03 AM »

Yes I agree on the civilian but I am not using Civvies even in normal games recently. I had to stop my Political campaign due to personal issues and I am more doing small skirmishes when I can while waiting for 2.0 and eventually Distant Worlds 2 if 2.0 come late this year.

I didn't think of Detection, Thanks! Perhaps my 1 size commercial sensor RP mandatory in all ships may be ditched, probably that would help too. Eventually, DTS webs can provide the proper sensor coverage where required.

Perhaps 2 races only will work better...

If the Stars orbit, then the setup can be quite difficult as (if possible) I may need to sync all stars to keep the "map" consistent otherwise you right, outer stars may be disadvantaged by the slower orbit and lesser access to the "terrain" and resources.

I don't mind feeling the vastity of space and considering I can pretty much put stars light years away, I think it is just a matter of how big I want the map and the rest should sort itself out.

I am going to ask Steve if possible to introduce the remove orbit for stars.  ;D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:51:13 AM »
That's a pretty cool idea! Please try it out and let us know how it works.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:43:04 AM »
That's a pretty cool idea! Please try it out and let us know how it works.

I am thinking to set it up and eventually share the DB

The following users thanked this post: El Pip, alex_g