Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 18117 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: First impressions
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 03:54:51 PM »
You are correct on the basic mechanism.  If there is not enough damage left to reach the HTK amount then you have a chance of knocking out the system based on how much damage you did do.  Formula is (damage done/htk) so it is fairly straight forward.  This is important for meson users as they only do 1 point of damage.  If you are fighting a meson user it pays to think of ways to raise the htk of systems.  A good example is to group weapons in turrets as they sum the htk of the individual weapons in the turret.  Larger power plants are also a good idea, ect. 

Hope this helps

Brian

That would be for Aurora ;)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
Sorry, I missed the header that said it was Astra Imperia.

Brian

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
With the redundant life support systems is the size 1 for every 500 tons of total ship size? Also with the shield aspects say you have alpha shields, are the aspects the total strength spilt in four and distributed over the 4 arcs or is it the total strength on each arc? So say you had a strength 12 shield would each aspect be strength 3 or strength 12?

EDIT: AU is astronomical units and is the distance from the earth to the sun
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:20:27 AM by dalord0 »

Offline alanwebber

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:11:58 AM »
Erik

The information on power plants in tables 46-47 and 65-66 do not agree with each other.

Also, I can't seem to be able to design the ships in the examples to agree with the cost / tonnage totals etc. Please could you post a design from scratch including tonnage, cost, signature and power requirements for each system which would help a lot to clarify the procedure.

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43:40 AM »

Perhaps it would be better to say the minimum jump distance iis 10 LM rather than introducing another measurement scale.

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 05:38:51 AM »
Perhaps it would be better to say the minimum jump distance iis 10 LM rather than introducing another measurement scale.

Alan

Its actually a real scientific scale but yeah we should just stick to light minutes/seconds/years etc.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
With the redundant life support systems is the size 1 for every 500 tons of total ship size? Also with the shield aspects say you have alpha shields, are the aspects the total strength spilt in four and distributed over the 4 arcs or is it the total strength on each arc? So say you had a strength 12 shield would each aspect be strength 3 or strength 12?

Life support - yes.

Shields - Hmmm. That is poorly worded on my part. It is per aspect, so your strength 12 would be 12 in each aspect. One generator will provide shield coverage for all aspects.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »
Erik

The information on power plants in tables 46-47 and 65-66 do not agree with each other.
Yep. Tables 46-47 are the correct values. 65-66 are older values that I missed.

Also, I can't seem to be able to design the ships in the examples to agree with the cost / tonnage totals etc. Please could you post a design from scratch including tonnage, cost, signature and power requirements for each system which would help a lot to clarify the procedure.

Regards

Alan
I can do that. It'll be a bit later though.

*edit* Comparing the designs in the PDF with my spreadsheet, the PDF is outdated. I'll start a new thread with ship designs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:00:16 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
Its actually a real scientific scale but yeah we should just stick to light minutes/seconds/years etc.

AU is used extensively in the system generation sections, but I changed the minimum jump distance to 10 LM.

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
Erik

Thanks for the replies. Please can you explain inertial compensator rating. I feel that this is missing somehow. The rating is mentioned in the rules but doesn't seem to be defined.

Thanks

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
Erik

Thanks for the replies. Please can you explain inertial compensator rating. I feel that this is missing somehow. The rating is mentioned in the rules but doesn't seem to be defined.

Thanks

Alan

A ship may not exceed a Thrust of 1 without penalty, nor a Thrust of 3 with penalties. Inertial Compensators allow for Thrusts greater than 1.

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
Erik

Does that include all thrust related manoeuvres e.g. Turns, rolls, defensive manoeuvres?

Also, how do you determine the thrust for a type of ship? The maximum thrust used to be in the hull table but that no longer exists. Is 3 the normal maximum thrust rating? From what you said above, that would seem to be the case. I also notice that you changed the thrust rating from the examples in the playtest docs to the ones you posted on the board.

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
Erik

Does that include all thrust related manoeuvres e.g. Turns, rolls, defensive manoeuvres?

Also, how do you determine the thrust for a type of ship? The maximum thrust used to be in the hull table but that no longer exists. Is 3 the normal maximum thrust rating? From what you said above, that would seem to be the case. I also notice that you changed the thrust rating from the examples in the playtest docs to the ones you posted on the board.

Regards

Alan

Are you referring to Chapter 3, General Movement? That section states that ships cannot move faster than their Compensator rating, but each step past incurs penalties to hit and initiative. There is no "maximum" thrust, only the limitation of power you can cram into the hull. Inertial Compensators (IC) require power based on the Thrust.

Chapter 23, Inertial Compensators states that they allow a ship to exceed a Thrust of 1 safely. And basically states what I replied earlier about exceeding the thrust.

As for maneuvers, you are trading forward Thrust to turn, roll, etc. So you still need to be able to compensate for that thrust.

Offline dalord0 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »
I think what Alan is saying is that you say that each compensator has a rating that it can exceed, albeit with penalties, but nowhere in the rules do you actually tell us the thrust rating for each type of compensator.

Is the limiting factor the power consumed? Say when you design a vessel you put in a compensator with rating 3 and it consumes 4x3=12 power and then in a battle you can exceed that rating? If so you could make it a lot clearer than it is now.

Cheers,

Dalord 

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
I think what Alan is saying is that you say that each compensator has a rating that it can exceed, albeit with penalties, but nowhere in the rules do you actually tell us the thrust rating for each type of compensator.

Is the limiting factor the power consumed? Say when you design a vessel you put in a compensator with rating 3 and it consumes 4x3=12 power and then in a battle you can exceed that rating? If so you could make it a lot clearer than it is now.

Cheers,

Dalord 

If I design a ship with Nuclear Torch engines, they consume 10 power per thrust per 1000 tons. So 1-1000 tons = 10 power per thrust, 1001-2000 tons = 20 power per thrust, etc.

Prototype comps require 4x power per thrust. So if I put in enough engines for 4 thrust, I need 160 power per 1000 tons to compensate.

Higher techs reduce that drastically. I'm in the midst of designing the ships of the TFN and they are built on about 100k RP (compared to the 5000 RP of the sample starter ships).

I'll post some of those designs later.