Author Topic: Minimum RPs for NPRs?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
Minimum RPs for NPRs?
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:21:23 AM »
Hi,

any idea what the lowest possible number of research points for manually created NPRs should be to prevent them from completely gimping themself (start with some engines and geo sensors at least)?

I want to start as conventional and do not want the other powers on Earth to be too far ahead, but they should still be able to build some viable explorers. Will the NPRs actually place a higher priority on geo sensors and engines or do I have to factor in that they will buy a couple of "useless"  techs?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Minimum RPs for NPRs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
Don't quote me on this, but I believe generated NPR empires get a random number of RPs (game generated), but you set the number for player generated NPRs (SM mode).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
The minimum tech an NPR can have is a Transnewtonian start with 0 rp. They are not programmed to be able to research anything below that. Do note that they will start with a large naval fleet (3x a normal player's starting OOB, if I remember correctly), and will expand as usual.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi,

any idea what the lowest possible number of research points for manually created NPRs should be to prevent them from completely gimping themself (start with some engines and geo sensors at least)?

I want to start as conventional and do not want the other powers on Earth to be too far ahead, but they should still be able to build some viable explorers. Will the NPRs actually place a higher priority on geo sensors and engines or do I have to factor in that they will buy a couple of "useless"  techs?
If you give them around 200-500k RPs there will be a good chance for them to research at least one tier of engines.

Unfortunately, there is no way to influence the priority of research to NPRs. There is always a possibility that they will direct all their RPs to something "useless", like sensors, missiles or logistics, and leave themselves with Nuclear Thermal engines.
And IIRC geo sensors are given to any starting TN empire.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
The first NPR that I ever found in Aurora had the best possible active sensor power, but were still cruising around with Ion Engines. ;) I think that is a noce thing though. Gives the NPRs some character, "the sensor masters/ eyes of the galaxy" etc. .
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:40:28 AM »
problem is they stick to their engines for ages
npr spotted in 2060 had their fleet running 3000km/s + and 40 years later when i wiped them out they had nothing faster
maybe they research tech but dont modernize designs ?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »
problem is they stick to their engines for ages
npr spotted in 2060 had their fleet running 3000km/s + and 40 years later when i wiped them out they had nothing faster
maybe they research tech but dont modernize designs ?
They could have had better engines on some, but the overall engine size was downgraded to keep a 3000km/s. I do that sometimes to keep fleet cohesion when I tech up my engines, ie new frigates/destroyers match the speed of outdated craft so I could add more armor/weaponry.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:25 AM »
they did not have ...
I salvaged all wrecks :D