Author Topic: Repair Ships & Mobile SY's(Ships with Ship Yard in them)  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Repair Ships & Mobile SY's(Ships with Ship Yard in them)
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
to do Massive repairs take the Ship to a Dock/SY. But what about those small to Medium Repairs? I know you need Lots of Engineering Spaces and Or Maintenance Storage Bays, But what about Spare Parts? say the s-12 Missile launcher that You lost to the Last Missile before the Alien Ship died? do you need to Make a New One?, or do you need to make one and ship it out to the Front? or is there a way to Put Construction Factory's on ships?

Can Ship Yards now or in a Later Version be Put on ships?
1 it would allow the Moving of SY's a Bit easier than having 2-** Tugs move the Yard.
2 when it got to where you wanted it. you could convert it to a Full yard and Not just a Mobile one.
3 Full Ship Yards are So hard to Move that (i think ) it would not or Should not be Done unless You had lots of Time , resources & Cargo Ships to Move them(taking them down and putting them in cargo holds)

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
Re: Repair Ships & Mobile SY's(Ships with Ship Yard in them)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:52:06 PM »
Spare parts are represented by maintenance supplies. If you have enough, you can repair any internal damage (but not armor). I'm pretty sure you can't ship out new components and add them to your ships, and you definitely can't put a functioning construction factory on a ship (but you can, of course, store them in cargo bays).

Shipyards cannot be put on ships, but you can move shipyards by using tractor beams. I've never done it, but I assume it follows the same rules as tractoring anything else, and would be extremely slow.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
If you are just interested in repairs, you can create a carrier with a large hanger and lots of maintenance supplies.  You can then land our ship and conduct repairs inthe hanger. I think you can fix armor in a hanger too.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:20:35 AM »
The best option in my mind for this sort of thing is a huge ship that has a mix of things, firstly hanger space large enough to swallow even your largest combat vessels, secondly vast maintenance supply storage. Finally (though I do not know if this works or not) is to include a large number of damage control components which may reduce the time it takes to repair. Something else to consider is adding a large amount of extra crew berths so the crew of the docked ship do not suddenly cause life support issues. At a quick guess if you had a maximum combat ship size of 100kt then I would make my repair ship in the region of 200-250kt.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
Damage Control Modules do not, to my knowledge, speed up the repairs of vessels in hangars. You need one to cut down battlefield repair time of the ship itself from hours to minutes and a second one might slightly improve the rate of repairs but it's better to just upgrade to the improved and advanced versions when you can.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34:34 AM »
Damage Control Modules do not, to my knowledge, speed up the repairs of vessels in hangars. You need one to cut down battlefield repair time of the ship itself from hours to minutes and a second one might slightly improve the rate of repairs but it's better to just upgrade to the improved and advanced versions when you can.

I would have thought it was obvious that they did. In any case, here is the description of what is involved (the psuedocode is quoted from here). So yes, completely unsurprisingly, a better ability to do repairs does help you make repairs faster.

Also, "a second one might slightly improve the rate of repairs but it's better to just upgrade to the improved and advanced versions"? What? The only difference is that one higher-tech component would be smaller (And probably more expensive? I haven't checked.) than an equivalent number of base-tech components.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »
I do not know if having multiple Damage Control Modules stack their bonuses and if they do, if it's a meaningful advantage. If you have none of them, any repair will take hours. If you have one, it is cut down to minutes. The improved and advanced versions offer a better bonus. The wiki is wrong when it states that "Usually that works out to some hours, although a very large number of modules could shorten this time considerably" because even a single module will cut down the repair time significantly. Considering how much space they take, it isn't practicable, in my opinion, to stack DC-modules.

Furthermore, the wiki article that you linked did not specify whether DC modules help with parasites. They are automatically repaired in any case, just by being in the hangar. I do not know whether the host ship Damage Control Rating affects that.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
I do not know if having multiple Damage Control Modules stack their bonuses and if they do, if it's a meaningful advantage. If you have none of them, any repair will take hours. If you have one, it is cut down to minutes. The improved and advanced versions offer a better bonus. The wiki is wrong when it states that "Usually that works out to some hours, although a very large number of modules could shorten this time considerably" because even a single module will cut down the repair time significantly. Considering how much space they take, it isn't practicable, in my opinion, to stack DC-modules.

Furthermore, the wiki article that you linked did not specify whether DC modules help with parasites. They are automatically repaired in any case, just by being in the hangar. I do not know whether the host ship Damage Control Rating affects that.

(the psuedocode is quoted from here)

The psuedo code is as follows:

Repair Chance = Round Down ((Increment Length in Seconds / Item Cost) x Highest Damage Control Rating*)

If Repair Chance > 1000 Then
    Repair Done = True
Else
    If Random Number(1000) <= Repair Chance Then
        Repair Done = True
    End
End

* This is usually the damage control rating of the ship. However, if the ship is in a hangar and the mothership has a higher damage control rating, then the damage control rating of the mothership is used. This could be used by fighters on a carrier or it could be a huge repair ship that takes full size ships into its internal hangar. In this case, the maintenance supplies of the mothership are used.

Since you insist: there's the Word of God on how the whole thing works.

Now that wasn't enough last time, so I just checked - and as expected they work exactly as Cargo Handling Systems do. Adding more systems (and in fact there's nothing preventing you from mixing the various grades) stacks the bonus additively, so all types of Damage Control are the same size (3HS = 150tons), the Improved version is twice the cost of the basic component for twice the effect, and the Advanced is three times as expensive as well as three times as effective. Therefore giving your ship a rating of 100 will cost 250BP (excluding whatever Engineering Spaces you have), no matter what combination of Damage Control components you use - all that will change is the tonnage consumed.

For carriers/repair ships: if a ship is in a hangar, its Damage Control Rating is compared to that of the mothership and the higher one is used (the Maintenance Supply Points consumed are taken from the ship whose rating gets used).

For time to repair components: the time taken is proportional to the cost of the component being fixed and inversely proportional to the Damage Control Rating (though there is also an element of random chance involved). So if two of your ships both need to fix the same standard engine, and ship A has a DCR of 20 while ship B has a DCR of 40, A will usually take twice as long to finish as B will. If they are both landed in a repair ship with a DCR of 200 then (diceroll aside) they will finish at the same time - five times faster than B would on its own (and ten times faster for A).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 02:54:55 AM »
Since you have trouble reading my post, what I said was that Wiki is wrong with this sentence:

"Usually that works out to some hours, although a very large number of modules could shorten this time considerably"

Your quote does not change that at all. Steve does not address the time delay. The Wiki statement is incorrect because a single DC module will significantly cut down the repair time. You do not need "a very large number" of them.

You could have, in your very first post, written that mothership DCR will be used IF it is higher than the parasite DCR. That's the answer Tor Cha was looking for. Instead you linked to the Wiki page while telling me off.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
Hey People Lets Not start Flaming Please
You have a Difference of Opinion, Your Stating Rules or Statements Made By Others. Both are fine. You Both seem to Have a Better Knowledge of the Game than I do!! Please try and Keep Your Emotions out of the Game Unless Your RP'ing.
Both of you have Given Me the Info I was Looking for and More. Thank You

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »
I'm late to the party but I'll pip in. Having multiple Damage Control Modules do increase the repair rates significantly. Having more engineering spaces will also increase in the same way, but less effect.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.