Author Topic: Military Engineer Needed  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Dark Dagger (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
Military Engineer Needed
« on: April 16, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
Good morning,

I love the story telling, the colonization, and exploration of this game.  However, I am completely lost when it comes to building military ships.  I can build a colony ship, survey ship, tanker, a cargo ship, and that is about it.   I always play with conventional start with 5000 starting tech points to get trans-newtonian tech free.  I like to think I am starting the game with the discovery of these new minerals. 

My real questions are, I guess, how to design missiles, get a ship to shoot missiles, fire PDCs, release lasers, read sensors, trick enemy sensors, and generally killing the enemy.
What makes a good missile? What is the difference between a BC Battlecruiser and a BB Battleship? How do you design a cylon basestar or the Rocinante?

FYI have yet to get passed nuclear pulse engines so that is where my knowledge level is at.  I have been avoiding looking at old VB stuff as I am unsure how much of it is still relevant.  So if there is a good guild out there for VB that still applies to C# please point me to it.   

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Re: Military Engineer Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
Good morning,

I love the story telling, the colonization, and exploration of this game.  However, I am completely lost when it comes to building military ships.  I can build a colony ship, survey ship, tanker, a cargo ship, and that is about it.   I always play with conventional start with 5000 starting tech points to get trans-newtonian tech free.  I like to think I am starting the game with the discovery of these new minerals. 

My real questions are, I guess, how to design missiles, get a ship to shoot missiles, fire PDCs, release lasers, read sensors, trick enemy sensors, and generally killing the enemy.
What makes a good missile? What is the difference between a BC Battlecruiser and a BB Battleship? How do you design a cylon basestar or the Rocinante?

FYI have yet to get passed nuclear pulse engines so that is where my knowledge level is at.  I have been avoiding looking at old VB stuff as I am unsure how much of it is still relevant.  So if there is a good guild out there for VB that still applies to C# please point me to it.

You came to the right place, the Bureau of Design is the best Aurora ship design guild out there!

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:38 AM »
My recommendation is be a part of the discord and use the ship repository for guidance, also you can look at my AAR or steves in ship design parameters and what works and doesnt.

Online non sequitur

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »
So, last question first. The various ship class labels are purely up to you. Technically they don't affect things. So if you want to label your colony ship a "battleship" you can. This is all to say that Aurora is what you make it. So the difference between what a "battlecruiser" and a "battleship" is in your navy is completely up to you and the story you have constructed around your navy. In history, a battlecruiser was lightly armored fast capital ship with big guns and a battleship was heavily armored and slower. Sometimes it helps to look at real navies and see what they did for their classes.

As to missiles, again, it's partly what you make of it. What makes a good missile is that is accomplishes the goal you have for it. Is it an Anti-missile missile? a Anti-ship Missile? Is it meant to take down capital ships or small strike craft? In general the rules of thumb I use are
1. half of the missile is engine (this was true in VB6. I'm still sorting out the new system).
2. You are aiming for warhead strength 1,4,9, 16, 25 etc... because missiles puncture armor levels at those damage levels.

In general for military ships you have a couple basic roles you need filled
1. anti-ship
2. missile defense.
3. scouting (passive sensors)
4. target lock (aka active sensors).

how you accomplish those roles is completely up to you. Some people make each role it's own ship and some combine roles.

The following users thanked this post: Mastik, Nori, Dark Dagger

Offline Dark Dagger (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=10786. msg123925#msg123925 date=1587048638
My recommendation is be a part of the discord and use the ship repository for guidance, also you can look at my AAR or steves in ship design parameters and what works and doesnt.

Do you have a link to the discord? Looking at disboard. org the largest one is Aurora Gaming Community, is that it?

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:48 AM »
I'll say this. Aurora is like Dwarf Fortress in that you learn as you die/lose. My first few VB games saw my ass handed to me as far as combat went. So I kept tweaking and working on it and now I think I do ok.

That being said, there isn't one right way to build ships, but there are some guidelines and design decisions to consider.

• Make ships you intend to travel together the same speed - A easy way to do this is to standardize on a mass and a specific engine
  • Early on, try to specialize your ships - Not every ship needs big sensors, but you also want some redundancies - In VB I had dedicated anti-missile ships, dedicated anti-ship ships (missiles) dedicated sensor ships (was also my jump tender and had backup PD)
  • Armor is your friend - Shields are cool and all, but armor will be your primary defense, don't skimp
  • Dedicate at least 25% of space to engines 33% if you want/need faster ships.
  • Standardize your equipment for easy of use, a couple engines a couple launchers, a couple sensors and you are good

As for a design decision.. I have used multiples of 9000t (so 18k, 27K, 36k) and it makes it easy to do 30% engine. 3000t of engine. 12k is another nice one, 3000t of engine for 25% or 4000t for 33%.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:01:48 AM by Nori »

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
A few considerations to start with.

Deployment times
There's three different things to look at here, and you usually want them to more or less line up. Specifically, morale, maintenance, and fuel.
- Fuel is the only one that matters for commercial ships. Naturally, you only burn fuel when moving, so you don't need a lot for ships that idle a lot (asteroid miners, jump-point guards, etc.). But for ships intended to deploy and be moving the whole time, try to match fuel endurance to deployment times. You can refuel at tankers or colonies.
- Morale is the "Deployment time" option at the top of the class design. Higher numbers result in more space being used on crew quarters. If your ship has been deployed longer than that, your morale (and thus combat performance) will suffer. You can regain morale by idling the ship at a colony, or a station with a Recreational Module.
- Maintenance needs are based on the number of engineering spaces and maintenance storage bays you have. The longer a ship is out, the faster things will break. Engineering spaces reduce breakage rates, and Maintenance Supply Points (MSP) repair broken items. You'll see a line like this in ship designs:
Maint Life 1.55 Years     MSP 1 033    AFR 442%    IFR 6.1%    1YR 491    5YR 7 368    Max Repair 200.00 MSP
That means:
> The ship will last an average of 1.55 years with its MSP before it's unable to repair further breakowns.
> It carries 1,033 MSP.
> It has an Annual Failure Rate(AFR) of 442%, which is more of a baseline than a hard and fast number (since failures get more common with time), but it'll give you an idea of expected breakdown rate. 
> It has an Interval Failure Rate(IFR) of 6.1%, which is the same thing, but for a five-day tick.
> It will consume an average of 491 MSP in a one-year deployment, and 7,368 MSP in a five-year deployment.
> The most expensive single item on this ship costs 200 MSP to repair. So if I have at least 200 MSP on hand, I can repair anything.

To get a ship's maintenance life up, add engineering spaces until the AFR/IFR is low-ish for your desired deployment time, and then maybe add some maintenance bays to increase lifespan from there. You'll want to play with it a bit in practice, see what gets you the best lifespan for the least tonnage and MSP. You can refill on MSP from supply ships, but to get your deployment time down, you need to overhaul at a colony or ship with a maintenance module.

The ship I pulled that line from is a 20,000 ton cruiser, designed for a 12-month deployment. Because it's a beam cruiser, and beams sometimes break when firing, I added extra MSP. To get those numbers, I have 7x Engineering Spaces and 1x Maintenance Storage Bay, for a total of 400 tons, or 2% of the ship.

(There's more I'd like to post, but some subreddit stuff ate my whole lunch break, so I'll just leave that here for now)

The following users thanked this post: Dark Dagger

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
Ok here is an idea.

State the following for me:

Purpose of the ship (cargo, survery, combat, mixed, etc)
Travel range
Time range (deployment time)

and I will make you a very simple low tech version of what you want and explain all the parts and why they are like that.

In general you can design all your components at once but I recommend designing and researching everything but the jump engines and Beamfire controls, design the ship sans these and then make these as you need to match the ship. This is because you can never be sure of your final size in tons (for jump engine) or your final speed (which is important to match with your BFC if your weapons are not turreted).

I like to put STR 1 EM and Thermal sensors on all my ships as they cost almost nothing and let you see colonies and stuff.

Your active sensors want to be minimum ranged to match your longest range weapon (usually a missile). I generally put the active sensor on my combat ship but sensor specialty ships work and are probably better.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=10786. msg123925#msg123925 date=1587048638

I keep seeing this "AAR" mentioned alot.  Can someone please tell me what it means
Thanks

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
AAR are After Action Reports, it is basically fiction created while using Aurora. Relatively sizable AAR from Steve: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=266.0

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 01:09:24 PM »
My real questions are, I guess, how to design missiles,

Click the button at the top of the tactical map with the missile on it.  After that, experiment.

get a ship to shoot missiles,

The ship needs a missile launcher and a Missile Fire Control system.  If you want to fire that missile at anything other than a waypoint or a planet, somebody (it can be anybody) in your empire needs to see the target on their active sensors.

fire PDCs,

PDCs don't exist anymore.  Ground based STO (surface-to-orbit) waeponry fires on the ground forces tab.

release lasers,

On many windows, the option to fire your lasers isn't shown unless there is a hostile contact on sensors somewhere in the star system.

read sensors,

On the Tactical map.  You can display sensor ranges as rings, see contacts, and click on them for more information.

trick enemy sensors,

At the moment, you can't.  The best you can do is (permanently) appear smaller / quieter / colder / harder to hit.

and generally killing the enemy.

Shoot first, shoot often?  Out-build them?  Exploit known quirks in the software to easily win any battle with any opponent?  Cheat?  SM yourself nigh-infinite fleets?

What makes a good missile?

Whatever your fiction decides.  In my case, it's size 14, a massive warhead, and speed no greater than twice that of my fastest ships. . . because my missiles are Fouteen Inch Torpedoes.

What is the difference between a BC Battlecruiser and a BB Battleship?

Literally the name you call them (selected form the dropdown).

How do you design a cylon basestar

You choose your reference materials, translate the specs into Aurora terms, and design it on the ship design window.

For example, if your Cylon Raiders are going to be 500 tons, and your ref says Basestars ahd two hundred of them, you're going to need 100,000 tons of hangar space. . . plus some more for transports and cargo shuttles and so on.  If your specs say basestars carried ground troops, add some troop transport capacity.  Give them a huge jump engine because they are FTL capable.  Give them however many of whatever type of guns the specs call for -- maybe that's a huge spinal laser for anti-shipping, and massed gauss cannons for fighter defense.  Maybe they carried 400 nuclear missiles in fifty laucnh tubes.

or the Rocinante?

Point defense gauss cannons, a big rail gun, small troop bay, a powerful military engine, one missile tube and a small magazine, and a crew of legendary officers.

Experiment.  Push buttons and design stuff and seek out new civilizations and attempt to destroy them.  Watch your ships and even worlds die, and then do it all over again.

Aurora is not a game you can win.  You can only have fun playing.  Play it, and learn which part you enjoy.

Don't go look up some gallery of 'perfect' ships designs and build them, because then you'll play Aurora for a few hours, get bored, and quit.

- - - - -

Remember, Space Master is there to help you fix your mistakes.  How much and how often you use it is entirely up to you.  If horrible aliens are about to wipe out your entire civilization and you don't want to spend five hours building a new playthrough with all the same medals and ground forces and ships designs and what not, go ahead and SM yourself a brand new fleet (or ten) to stop them.  Only you are judging you.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 03:04:53 AM »

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 03:06:26 AM »
that one expired after 1 day my apologise,, https://discord.gg/7hHabpd will never expire

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 03:19:01 AM »
Nice link. I Can probably remember that one, 7 (H)our Orbital (Hab)itat (P)oint (D)efence
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "