Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359446 times)

Offline Cones2002

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3225 on: March 07, 2023, 10:31:43 PM »
Thank you :)

Seems like the Wiki can't load images on Google Chrome, so I'm having to open it on Microsoft Edge and change the address from https:// to hxxp:

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3226 on: March 08, 2023, 01:57:45 AM »
So I've got shiny new laptop and am encountering the usual missing dll issues for Aurora. I've downloaded and registered all the .ocx files that have been flagged but now I'm getting an error I didn't get last time I moved to a new laptop:

'2.1.1 function #139: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Data.SQLite, Version = 1.0.103.0 …..'

Any ideas what is required for this? I've gone to the SQLite webpage but it doesn't really help that much in terms of identifying what components I need to install (at least for my simple brain). 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3227 on: March 09, 2023, 03:09:21 PM »
So I've got shiny new laptop and am encountering the usual missing dll issues for Aurora. I've downloaded and registered all the .ocx files that have been flagged but now I'm getting an error I didn't get last time I moved to a new laptop:

'2.1.1 function #139: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Data.SQLite, Version = 1.0.103.0 …..'

Any ideas what is required for this? I've gone to the SQLite webpage but it doesn't really help that much in terms of identifying what components I need to install (at least for my simple brain). 

Welchbloke

This is extraordinarily unusual; you shouldn’t have to register any OCX components, and the SQLite library is included along with the executable.

You must have done something horribly wrong.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #3228 on: March 09, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
If you have a parasite that has a ground unit inside it, and that parasite is inside a mothership, would the ground unit contribute to defending the mothership should it be boarded?
Yes it would.

Would the opposite also hold true? Would a boarded parasite within a hangar receive help from the mother ship and other parasites?
What if the boarding combat started before the parasite docked?

I'd be impressed to see how you'd manage that...

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3229 on: March 09, 2023, 07:39:25 PM »

Welchbloke

This is extraordinarily unusual; you shouldn’t have to register any OCX components, and the SQLite library is included along with the executable.

First thing to do is to unistall Aurora and any SQLite stuff you have installed. Then try installing Aurora again which will eliminate the possibility of something weird having happened during installation. Hopefully that works (Reboot the computer the equivalant of this solves 2/3 of help desk calls) if that does not work I am stuck and hopefully someone else has a better idea

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3230 on: March 10, 2023, 02:09:14 AM »

Welchbloke

First thing to do is to unistall Aurora and any SQLite stuff you have installed. Then try installing Aurora again which will eliminate the possibility of something weird having happened during installation. Hopefully that works (Reboot the computer the equivalant of this solves 2/3 of help desk calls) if that does not work I am stuck and hopefully someone else has a better idea
So something odd did happen, a complete reinstall fixed the issue - thanks. It looks like my AV software was doing something odd in the background, linked to the issue around aurora being reported as a trojan that other people have mentioned.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3231 on: March 10, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Get rid of your AV software, as Windows Defender is nowadays well and good enough to deal with any threats. A normal user does not need anything else and they can cause a cascade of issues, as you've just experienced.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3232 on: March 10, 2023, 12:25:02 PM »
Get rid of your AV software, as Windows Defender is nowadays well and good enough to deal with any threats. A normal user does not need anything else and they can cause a cascade of issues, as you've just experienced.

Seconded. Anti-virus software isn't -- and is frankly a virus itself more often than not, for any practical purposes.

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #3233 on: March 11, 2023, 01:30:27 AM »
Seconded. Anti-virus software isn't -- and is frankly a virus itself more often than not, for any practical purposes.
This was the case on my work laptop, after yet another software update one of the installed anti-virus products identified the other anti-virus software as a virus.

Why did the laptop have two bits of anti-virus software installed? I'm afraid that is a mystery known only to corporate IT departments.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3234 on: March 11, 2023, 11:44:42 AM »
Why did the laptop have two bits of anti-virus software installed? I'm afraid that is a mystery known only to corporate IT departments.

The answer is "because some executive looking to leave a mark thought it sounded good because two AV softwares obviously makes the machine twice as secure". Anyone who actually works in IT knows this is stupid, but anyone who works in IT also knows it is useless to try and stand against the deluge of stupid raining down from on high courtesy of bloated idiots who think they know about computers because they sent an email this one time.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3235 on: March 12, 2023, 10:04:40 AM »
You are too cynical the real reason is that the guy who left 3 years ago included an antivirus software in the starter package, no one still employed knows how to update it and when it is removed from the installation everything crashes so they leave it in and add another one they can update. Until Dave leaves then who knows

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3236 on: March 13, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »
How do you guys handle drop ships?
Like, with drop capabilities, why use a small drop ship rather than a lets say use a whole frigate to deploy a battalion?
And even then, would the troops stay "frozen" inside those drop ships? Meaning that it would replace the need for extra troop compartments?
Also, in that case, could a battalion be dropped in piece meal without having to make a company at a time?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3237 on: March 13, 2023, 10:38:09 AM »
How do you guys handle drop ships?
Like, with drop capabilities, why use a small drop ship rather than a lets say use a whole frigate to deploy a battalion?
And even then, would the troops stay "frozen" inside those drop ships? Meaning that it would replace the need for extra troop compartments?
Also, in that case, could a battalion be dropped in piece meal without having to make a company at a time?

Small drop ships died with C#. In VB6 we could use small drop ships because they could fit an entire battalion into, like, 250 tons of module space, and we cannot do that anymore in C#. Couple with the fact that the optimal formation size is roughly a regiment/brigade (10k to 20k tons) and small drop ships don't make any sense unless you really like micromanagement.

I usually go for the hulking, 200kton monstrosities with a lot of armor layers to be prepared for the event of a contested landing, which gives you in principle another approach to deal with STO clusters if you don't want to risk valuable warships against them. In this case you can probably fit something like 75k or 100k tons of troops inside which depending on your doctrine could be a division or corps of troops per transport.

Note that the VB6-era concept of cryogenic drop modules really does not make a lot of sense in C#, as the majority of tonnage for ground troops is not the soldiers but rather the equipment and there is not a sensible way to cut 5,000 tons of equipment down to 250 tons by freezing it really well.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, Warer

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3238 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:05 AM »
Maybe it can me done in the next version? Since we make whole templates and it is built in bulk, then i think it would be possible to move a entire battalion of light marines?
Another thought is, can a transport ship just transfers troops in a contested planet or does it need to have drop abilities?
And if so, does it need to actually land on the planet?

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3239 on: March 13, 2023, 12:04:13 PM »
Only fighter sized ships can land. And you can land troops on a contested planet without drop bays.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm