Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 357909 times)

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2325 on: December 02, 2021, 06:19:49 AM »
Neutral cannot be NPR.

Neutral is for multi-faction Earth starts, where you might want to simulate the non-imperialistic, non-space faring powers. The neutral power can be named as "Rest of humanity" or whatever you want. It will never do anything except breed.

What's the use then? Immigration. Your civilian shipping lines will not carry colonists from the Neutral power but your government-owned colony ships can do so. This is to simulate the sort of immigration flux that the United States (to give the most prominent example) benefited from throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. It can also be a tool for RP, as you can get exact numbers for your story about immigrants coming from outside your actual nation/faction/power.

Just make sure that they are the same human race as your other faction. The most common mistake in multi-faction Earth starts is to have each faction be its own race which means that their colonies cannot be ever merged as Aurora always keeps races/species in their own colonies on a body.

How exactly can I order my ships to load colonists from this neutral pop? It only appears to me as a "contact", and there's no order to load colonists from a contact.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2326 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:24 AM »
You need to use SM to set open communications after you've "found" them via active sensors if I remember it right.

Actually, I don't know if they still work that way in C# as I've only used them in VB6 and haven't had the chance to run a C# campaign with them.

Offline dsedrez

• d
« Reply #2327 on: December 02, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »
You need to use SM to set open communications after you've "found" them via active sensors if I remember it right.

Actually, I don't know if they still work that way in C# as I've only used them in VB6 and haven't had the chance to run a C# campaign with them.

The neutral doesn't even detect my race, though. I'm not sure it'd work if one side doesn't recognize the other.

Offline Gabrote42

• G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #2328 on: December 02, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »

The neutral doesn't even detect my race, though. I'm not sure it'd work if one side doesn't recognize the other.
What if you SM'd them some sensor platforms so they can detect you and then force open comms?
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline dsedrez

• d
« Reply #2329 on: December 03, 2021, 07:15:50 AM »

What if you SM'd them some sensor platforms so they can detect you and then force open comms?

I tried that. In fact I even SM'ed them into alliance. Still, my colony ship doesn't recognize their colony as a source of colonists. They're of the same species and they detect each other's presence.

Offline LuuBluum

• L
« Reply #2330 on: December 03, 2021, 08:31:36 AM »
Ah, that's a shame. Oh well; I suppose I'll just work around that in the lore setup for that campaign, once 2.0 releases.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2331 on: December 03, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
I've never used them, but I thought neutrals were a source of colonists only for your civilian transports not your state owned ships. Is it possible they are actually working and you just didn't notice?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2332 on: December 03, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
I've never used them, but I thought neutrals were a source of colonists only for your civilian transports not your state owned ships. Is it possible they are actually working and you just didn't notice?

It's possible... I suppose the way to find out would be to set racial population growth rate to 0 (I take no responsibility for any bug this causes) and see if their population actually goes down once the civilian colony ships start running.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2333 on: December 05, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
Is there an easy way to make use of the more than 42 ground support fighters / orbital support that fits in the UI? ( Issue is I can't find a way to drag + drop and scroll the list at the same time )

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #2334 on: December 05, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Is there an easy way to make use of the more than 42 ground support fighters / orbital support that fits in the UI? ( Issue is I can't find a way to drag + drop and scroll the list at the same time )
You can have multiple ground combat windows open at the same time and drag and drop between them.

The following users thanked this post: alex_brunius

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2335 on: December 10, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »
When you discover an NPR generated during the game, not at world gen, is it a frontier system, or the alien's homeworld system?  Are mid-game generated empires given multiple systems on generation?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2336 on: December 10, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »
It is the alien homeworld. Aurora does not support generating multiple-system empires when a NPR spawns in.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2337 on: December 12, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
After many years, I'm back to Aurora.  This is my first C# game and I think I understand a lot or most of the meachnics (I re-wrote the wiki many moons ago), but some things are still worth asking:

1) I just realized that you can stabilize Lagrange points. Would you say it is worth the hassle of going through every high-traffic system to find opportunities, just to shave off a few days of travel?

2) I have a Battalion HQ with 10 HQ guys. Assigning stuff works just fine. But when I try to put it under a Brigade HQ (60 HQ guys) I get a message saying something about needing a higher rating. All my ground commanders have a command rating of 0, which seems somewhat low... Is there something I don't understand?

3) I found out how to manually move stuff between units. But the reinforcements checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect. When are reinforcements being sent?

4) I've been neighbors with an alien race for ages. Language is understood and diplo ships are there. But our relationship is still 0. Are there some (non-spoiler) races which don't ever feel like getting friendly?

5) Is there a way to quickly find a system on the galaxy map when there's a hundred systems and more?

6) Do ELINT modules stack? If so, do they stack in regard to range or point collection speed?

7) I suppose there are no good tips on how to increase increment calculation speed, other than "get a REAL computer"...?

8) What determines the order in which medals are shown in the commander window?

9) I guess I could figure it out myself from the wiki documentation, but anyway:
- ECM makes my missiles harder to hit (beam hit chance/ MFC range)
- ECCM makes my missiles... what? I already have ECCM on my fire controls, do I need both? On offensive missiles and AMM?

10) Leftover damage (after destroying a ship component) is applied "sideways" to other components, or wasted?

11) With no water on a planet, terraforming is kind of pointless, right?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:45:07 AM by Zook »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #2338 on: December 12, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »

1) I just realized that you can stabilize Lagrange points. Would you say it is worth the hassle of going through every high-traffic system to find opportunities, just to shave off a few days of travel?
Meh. They are mostly useful for getting between distant binaries imo.

2) I have a Battalion HQ with 10 HQ guys. Assigning stuff works just fine. But when I try to put it under a Brigade HQ (60 HQ guys) I get a message saying something about needing a higher rating. All my ground commanders have a command rating of 0, which seems somewhat low... Is there something I don't understand?
Command rating doesn't do anything anymore (ignore it). However, multiple HQ units in a single formation don't stack. Instead, you need to change the HQ capacity of the unit in the design screen (it's the green number that defaults to 1000 tons). You also only need 1 such unit in the formation (multiple units decrease the chance of the commander dying if an HQ unit is destroyed, but they also increase the odds of an HQ unit being destroyed so it's a wash).

3) I found out how to manually move stuff between units. But the reinforcements checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect. When are reinforcements being sent?
Reinforcements happen during the construction cycle only. The process moves units from formations that are marked as a replacement source to replace any losses in other formations on the same colony.

4) I've been neighbors with an alien race for ages. Language is understood and diplo ships are there. But our relationship is still 0. Are there some (non-spoiler) races which don't ever feel like getting friendly?
The relationship you can see in the diplo screen is your opinion of them and only increases if the aliens have diplo ships with an officer with a diplo rating assigned that are hanging out where you can see them.

5) Is there a way to quickly find a system on the galaxy map when there's a hundred systems and more?
Not really. You can try using the automatic path to system finder thing in the ship orders (since the systems will appear in alphabetical order), then look at the path taken to figure out where the system is.

6) Do ELINT modules stack? If so, do they stack in regard to range or point collection speed?
ELINT modules stack in regards to range, but not collection speed.

7) I suppose there are no good tips on how to increase increment calculation speed, other than "get a REAL computer"...?
Delete civilian ships, muck around with automatic detection settings.

8) What determines the order in which medals are shown in the commander window?
No idea.
9) I guess I could figure it out myself from the wiki documentation, but anyway:
- ECM makes my missiles harder to hit (beam hit chance/ MFC range)
- ECCM makes my missiles... what? I already have ECCM on my fire controls, do I need both? On offensive missiles and AMM?
ECM makes missiles (or ships) harder to hit, as well as reducing missile fire control lock on range.

ECCM onboard missiles reduces the effects of ECM wrt. hit chance. ECCM on the missile fire control just means you can lock on at longer range, but your missiles still might miss!

There is also a bug right now where multiple ECM modules on a ship stack.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2339 on: December 12, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »
That was quick. Thanks!

Anyway, I don't quite get the command HQ system - if I can just enter any number (max. command tonnage), what's the point then?

edit: I think the penny is slowly, slowly dropping... thanks again.

10) Leftover damage (after destroying a ship component) is applied "sideways" to other components, or wasted?

11) With no water on a planet, terraforming is kind of pointless, right?

12) Are missile-based planetary defenses possible?

13) Can I scrap ground units and get minerals back?

14) Can I stop e.g. fighter factories from employing millions when I don't build any fighters, other than shipping them all to the next moon?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:10:06 PM by Zook »