Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 10474 times)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »
I am enoying this very much  8)

I think you're going to have to choose quickly.
Either choose to invest in researching and then building grav survey ships, in hope of finding something good very close by,  OR terraforming. Either of them is not cheap to research.

Terraforming I think would take... too much time. You'd need to build a lot of huge orbital stations, in order to have an enormous amount of terraforming modules. Else it would be too slow, and I really don't think you could build terraforming ships. At any rate, if you want to go down the terraforming path, you need to do so very soon and decisively, in my opinion

The fact that you still have to convert a part of your industry does not help there.
I'm really loking forward to see what happens  ;D

Offline Vastrat

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
This looks to be a fun and challenging scenario, can't wait to see what happens. :)

Offline Mailo

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »
The physicist in me can't let this go uncommented . .  spiralling into the sun is physically impossible, it would require a constant force upon Earth.  A single impact would "only" send it on an elliptical orbit.  The geek in me reading Steve's stories since forever is telling the physicist to shut up and enjoy ;D

The following users thanked this post: Hawkeye

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
The physicist in me can't let this go uncommented . .  spiralling into the sun is physically impossible, it would require a constant force upon Earth.  A single impact would "only" send it on an elliptical orbit.  The geek in me reading Steve's stories since forever is telling the physicist to shut up and enjoy ;D

Yes, I know. However, Death Spiral Fun > Elliptical Orbit Fun :)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
There is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation:  Improper and unsafe TN mineral mining left a trail of raw material trailing behind Earth and the 'impact' was it finally snagging on the Sun.  The Sun rotates faster than Earth orbits, so every rotation wraps it a little tighter, pulling the Earth that much closer to its doom.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter, Warer

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
There is a perfectly reasonable and logical explanation:  Improper and unsafe TN mineral mining left a trail of raw material trailing behind Earth and the 'impact' was it finally snagging on the Sun.  The Sun rotates faster than Earth orbits, so every rotation wraps it a little tighter, pulling the Earth that much closer to its doom.
That sounds like an improperly configured mass driver.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
I wonder what will happen with orbital shipyards and orbiting ships when the Earth will reach the Sun? It could be possible to build cryogenic stations using construction factories to store humans before they can be transported to safe location with tugs.

But it seems that there is very little Mercassium in Sol, so it may not be viable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:13:18 AM by Black »

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
I wonder what will happen with orbital shipyards and orbiting ships when the Earth will reach the Sun? It could be possible to build cryogenic stations using construction factories to store humans before they can be transported to safe location with tugs.

But it seems that there is very little Mercassium in Sol, so it may not be viable.

I would assume Steve would destroy anything remaining in orbit, to simulate them being destroyed. But I'm sure he will move them all to mars well before it comes to that.

The cryogenic stations are an interesting idea that I had not considered. Not sure if feasible, but aside from the cost in mercassium it would be a really cool "emergency solution". Freeze everyone up, we will settle them somewhere once we can!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:45:31 AM by Zincat »

Offline punchkid

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 04:58:42 AM »

I would assume Steve would destroy anything remaining in orbit, to simulate them being destroyed. But I'm sure he will move them all to mars well before it comes to that.

The cryogenic stations are an interesting idea that I had not considered. Not sure if feasible, but aside from the cost in mercassium it would be a really cool "emergency solution". Freeze everyone up, we will settle them somewhere once we can!

I guess Mars can't support enough population anyway, so building some big orbital habitats in orbit of Mars might not be a terrible idea.
Looking forward to seeing how this pans out, it's a very exiting scenario. Might have to try one of these myself :D

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »
If Steve goes with orbital habitats then he can go for Venus or Mercury as those will be closer than Mars. :D

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
He could also dump a bunch of installations there to save fuel by moving them on later when more efficient engines are available. Interesting scenario with how to balance out all the limitations you have to work within. Miss just one and it can be total disaster  ;D

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
Is the distance of earth you give RP, or do you actually change the orbital distance in the DB?

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
Is the distance of earth you give RP, or do you actually change the orbital distance in the DB?
This is a new feature in 1.12.0

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2020, 07:29:13 AM »
Are Commanders tied to a certain location if they don't have a job?
If they do, most of them will be sitting on Earth when it falls apart, so you'll want to move them and I just had a quick look and I can't see a way to do that.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 02:01:16 AM »
Are Commanders tied to a certain location if they don't have a job?
If they do, most of them will be sitting on Earth when it falls apart, so you'll want to move them and I just had a quick look and I can't see a way to do that.

This is actually a super valid point!

I may be 100% wrong here but I always didn't understand why when you lose your homeworld by conquest or in this case because destroyed you still have access to the whole pool of crewmen and officers. It makes no sense, they should be killed or captured along with all the bonus due to interrogation etc.

Or it actually works differently?

This could finally give the pick up commander command more value than the RP one.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:03:18 AM by froggiest1982 »