Author Topic: Second Chance Campaign - Comments  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Second Chance Campaign - Comments
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:08:22 AM »
I thought it best to place this thread here so that we do not clutter Steve's sub-forum for the Second Chance story and so he can add new parts to a story without having to add a new thread if so needed. I tried adding it to the Second Chance sub forum but that option appears to be disabled.

I have one thought after reading Part 1:

Did the Professor not bring back any ship designs that 1900 Earth could use or tweak based on their performance in the field?

I know I am just nitpicking, but, I like to nitpick :lol:  
(you could class me as being from that community [and the official census does], but I do not adhere to a lot of the crap that comes out of the politicians mouths.)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Second Chance Campaign - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I thought it best to place this thread here so that we do not clutter Steve's sub-forum for the Second Chance story and so he can add new parts to a story without having to add a new thread if so needed. I tried adding it to the Second Chance sub forum but that option appears to be disabled.

I have one thought after reading Part 1:

Did the Professor not bring back any ship designs that 1900 Earth could use or tweak based on their performance in the field?

I know I am just nitpicking, but, I like to nitpick :lol:  
(you could class me as being from that community [and the official census does], but I do not adhere to a lot of the crap that comes out of the politicians mouths.)
The question of home rule for Ireland was a huge political issue around the turn of the century so I felt it had to be mentioned in the background, if only briefly. I wonder what the politicians of the time would have done if they had the knowledge of the next 100 years. My impression from the British political history of the time is that politicians seems a lot less self-serving than today and far more interested in trying to achieve what they believed was right, rather than what was politically acceptable. No TV, and no opinion polls probably helped a lot :)

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
I am adding the political structure for the League of Nations in 1906 (see the latest post) and I need a French member for the Admiralty. I have used Georges Leygeus but he is a politician rather than an Admiral. I have scoured the internet and my own history books but I am really struggling to find an influential senior French naval officer in the 1900-1914 period. An equivalent for Fisher or von Tirptiz. Any suggestions welcome.

Steve

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
I predict problems for that Council. Count Von Holstein was the classic behind-the-scenes string puller. And Woodrow Wilson! Send him back to Princeton, all he will ever do is preach his brand of holier-than-thou morality. Well, maybe Teddy can rein him in, although they certainly didn't see eye to eye in the original time-line. Might I suggest a revival of the Code Duello? Then someone could challenge Wilson and get rid of him. Roosevelt would do it at the drop of a hat, and he'd drop the hat.
Expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
Quote from: "TrueZuluwiz"
I predict problems for that Council. Count Von Holstein was the classic behind-the-scenes string puller. And Woodrow Wilson! Send him back to Princeton, all he will ever do is preach his brand of holier-than-thou morality. Well, maybe Teddy can rein him in, although they certainly didn't see eye to eye in the original time-line. Might I suggest a revival of the Code Duello? Then someone could challenge Wilson and get rid of him. Roosevelt would do it at the drop of a hat, and he'd drop the hat.
Holstein is a fascinating figure. He was a favourite of Bismarck's (until he didn't renew the secret reinsurance treaty with Russia) and seemed to be the principle architect of German foreign policy from 1890 to 1906, although he lacked Bismarck's ability to play everyone off against each other without getting burned in the process. I think if Bismarck had stayed a few more years there probably wouldn't have been a WWI. As you say, Holstein he was a "Grey Eminence"  behind the scenes character so its probably unrealistic to have him as a councilor but he is one of the most interesting people of the period so I employed some dramatic license :)

Woodrow Wilson was included because of his strong support of the original League in 1919 plus he makes a good counterweight to Roosevelt. I known he was at Princeton in 1906 but I am assuming that with the future history knowledge of Presidents to be, he would has become involved in politics much sooner.

Steve

Offline vergeraiders

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I am adding the political structure for the League of Nations in 1906 (see the latest post) and I need a French member for the Admiralty. I have used Georges Leygeus but he is a politician rather than an Admiral. I have scoured the internet and my own history books but I am really struggling to find an influential senior French naval officer in the 1900-1914 period. An equivalent for Fisher or von Tirptiz. Any suggestions welcome.

Steve

Augustin Boué de Lapeyrère - admiral  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustin_B ... yr%C3%A8re

Clément Ader - Avation Inventor   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cl%C3%A9ment_Ader

Émile Borel - Mathemetition, Naval Minister  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89mile_Borel

Raymond Abescat - Army , one of last surviving WWI vets

Émile Henriot - scientest

Dominique-Marie Gauchet - Admiral WWI

Ferdinand Foch - "the most original and subtle mind in the French army"

Jean-Baptiste Eugène Estienne - Artillerist and engineer

Gabriel Auguste Ferdinand Ducuing - Naval officer, second cousin to F Foch

Bernard Delaire - WI naval officer, long surviving vet

François Darlan - Naval officer, admiral, vichy supportor

Jean Cras - Naval oficer, innovator, composer

Jean Colin - Army general, "one of the brilliant members of the French General Staff before 1914."

Noël Marie Joseph Édouard, Vicomte de Curières de Castelnau - army general, traditionalist

Philippe-Jean Bunau-Varilla - soldier and engineer, helped influence panama canal construction

Louis de Broglie - scientist, radio, nobel prize winner

Gustave Bertrand - military intelligence, helped crack enigma code

Robert Benoist - fighter pilot, instructor, race car driver

Gabriel Paul Auphan - Admiral

Jean-Marie Charles Abrial - Admiral and minister of marine
Georges Thierry d'Argenlieu - Minor naval officer and priest

Pierre Auguste Roque - pioneer in french avation

Lazare Ponticelli - Army, last surviving vet (born in italy)

Jean de Lattre de Tassigny - Cavalryman, head of the war college

more info  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... i%2C+Simon

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
Quote from: "vergeraiders"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Augustin Boué de Lapeyrère - admiral  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustin_B ... yr%C3%A8re

(snip)
Thanks for the research! Admiral de Lapeyrère is ideal and I have edited the Admiralty list appropriately. He made Vice-amiral in 1908 so I'll move that forward a couple of years. I'll work my way through all the others too and build them into the story where possible. My usual internet sources seem weak on French personnel, although the hardware information is available.

Steve

Offline TrueZuluwiz

• Zulu
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »
One other thing: don't build any ships in French shipyards that you want to be able to use within the next 5-6 years. The French shipyards built a quality product but were infernally slow. Stick to the British, German, and American yards for warships. They were fast builders, especially the Brits. Send all the civilian shipbuilding out to the Russian, Japanese, Italian, and French yards.
Expecting the Spanish Inquisition