Author Topic: Tentative Suggestions for Missile Rebalancing by Tweaking Launcher Size Rules  (Read 13134 times)

Offline EvadingHostileFleets

• Petty Officer
  • E
I may misunderstand something in game mechanics, but if box launcher is no different from 30% launcher except it cant be reloaded, somewhat cheaper and is prone to explosions, it makes box launchers not really worth it unless you field missile-heavy fleets and simultaneously face resource shortage. Also it may harm significantly missile fighters gameplay.

Offline nuclearslurpee (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
--- As a fighter centric player I vehemently disagree with box launchers being the same size as 30% launchers. Unless a Fighter Only Box Launcher was implemented.

If both changes are taken together, box launchers remain the same net size for 4-MSP missiles and become actually a bit smaller for larger missiles. Fighter-centric doctrines come out quite nicely here.  :)

--- That said I would prefer that Box Launchers simply used the linear scaling rather that the square root scaling.

I thought about this but it means that beyond some size mark box launchers are bigger than reloadable (30% size) launchers which is not very sensible.

Ah, I think I see where we've talked past each other.

Yes, I expected there would be some points I did not write very well, hence wanting discussion to clarify the ideas.  :)

Assuming launchers' minimum mass is equal to minimum mass, then the 'reduced size' launchers would also have the same mass as the standard size launcher. This was the issue I was trying to point out.

This makes sense now. I'm not sure what to do about this, but I do know that the 30% size only meets the missile size at 36 MSP, which is such a large an impractical size that I'm not sure it's worth worrying about at least for game balance.

Here's a plot of the proposed box launcher sizes (assuming I've understood nuclearslurpee correctly): https://i.imgur.com/kFAnjwL.png

This looks correct and your analysis is spot-on.

Interesting proposal. My first impression is that it is probably a good idea. I think I have already unconsciously accepted the underlying premise of the proposal based on the fact that I have gravitated toward beam-only fleets with the exception of box-launcher-armed small craft.

I have similar experience which motivates this idea. If I ever use missiles on large ships now I use only 30% size or box launchers purely for salvo size reasons, and the 30% size always disappoints me because after magazine space is accounted for I can only generate ~1/3 or 1/4 the salvo size of box launchers. This was what led me to think about messing with launcher size scaling, to get reloadable launchers closer to box launchers (though of course box launchers are the kings for single-salvo sizes). After that I spent probably too much time trying to sort out the practical game-balance issues.  :)

First though, I've created a table based on my understanding of the above to just check this is what you mean in terms of size. Cost for box launchers, as proposed, would be half the cost of the 30% launcher.

The tables on the right show how many launchers you could fit in 12 HS (600 tons) based on current and proposed mechanics.

This looks right to me! I will note that the "number of launchers in 12 HS" do not include the effect of additional magazine space, which along with the lower cost is what would make box launchers able to general larger salvo sizes than 30% size reloadable launchers.

Also, if you extend your tables out you'll see that the 30% size launchers have the same size as the missiles they fire, so this is where a switch to linear scaling is needed. Also at size 64 for the 40% size launchers the same phenomenon occurs. Otherwise there are no issues for MSP < 99 which is the current in-game limit.

As a side note about game balance, NPRs may have some difficulty with point defense in some cases as they do not use "sensor nets" of small craft/fighters to extend their effective AMM range, which is one of the key counters currently against box launchers (for player races). This means some testing will be needed to make sure NPRs are not too badly hurt by this change, although conversely they can take advantage of the smaller launchers to present a similar challenge to unprepared player races.

I may misunderstand something in game mechanics, but if box launcher is no different from 30% launcher except it cant be reloaded, somewhat cheaper and is prone to explosions, it makes box launchers not really worth it unless you field missile-heavy fleets and simultaneously face resource shortage. Also it may harm significantly missile fighters gameplay.

The key difference is that reloadable launchers require magazines. If you don't use magazines, then of course you want the box launchers which are cheaper. If you do use magazines, then the number of missiles you can launch from the same size of ship/fleet is reduced as each magazine takes away tonnage that could otherwise be a launcher.

(And if players find 50% cheaper is not good enough for some reason, we can always change it, but 50% cheaper keeps the cost in line with what box launchers cost currently.)

As has been discussed in the thread, missile fighters will generally benefit from these changes. Only small missiles (MSP < 4) are negatively affected and relatively few players use these small sizes on fighters. Missiles larger than 4 MSP can actually be mounted more densely on fighters with this proposal.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Yes, I think the key difference for box launchers would be they no longer offer a size advantage over the 30% launcher, but instead represent a design decision to forgo reloads in favour of the maximum possible alpha strike, with the side benefit or a 50% cost reduction. Box launchers would be the same or slightly better than before (except for missile sizes under 4), but full size launchers would be much better.

It also changes the current dynamic that favours smaller missiles, which adds more meaningful decisions on missile design.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

• Petty Officer
  • E
The key difference is that reloadable launchers require magazines.
I may have misread, but was this a part of suggestion? For now they do not really require them, they authomatically add magazine space to design equal to expected missile size. Was a great surprise for me when I built a vessel carrying three salvos worth of magazines and ended up with four salvos per vessel.
So it boils down to tradeoff between price and chance to explode when taking reloading out of picture. Which is not really making box launchers more viable than reduced launchers without magazines bar resource shortage, if your ships are expected to see combat and get shot at.

Edit: I will put it more bluntly. You can easilly match box launchers salvo size by reduced size launchers if they are the same size which defeats the whole purpose of box launchers. May remove them alltogether then, or make classical launchers actually require magazines to add secondary costs and essentially return to situation with box launchers being more compact but with extra steps.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:04:56 PM by EvadingHostileFleets »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
The key difference is that reloadable launchers require magazines.
I may have misread, but was this a part of suggestion? For now they do not really require them, they authomatically add magazine space to design equal to expected missile size. Was a great surprise for me when I built a vessel carrying three salvos worth of magazines and ended up with four salvos per vessel.
So it boils down to tradeoff between price and chance to explode when taking reloading out of picture. Which is not really making box launchers more viable than reduced launchers without magazines bar resource shortage, if your ships are expected to see combat and get shot at.

Edit: I will put it more bluntly. You can easilly match box launchers salvo size by reduced size launchers if they are the same size which defeats the whole purpose of box launchers. May remove them alltogether then.

Yes, using the mechanics of this proposal you could have a dozen box launchers or pay twice as much for a dozen 30% reduction launchers (without adding magazines) and consequently have the same amount of launchers in the same space. However, why would you choose the latter and pay double cost unless you also planned to add magazines?

Which is why I said above that the design choice changes to maximum alpha strike, or inclusion of magazines.

This proposal doesn't make box launchers any worse than they are now. It just makes the reloadable launchers a serious alternative option.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
As has been discussed in the thread, missile fighters will generally benefit from these changes. Only small missiles (MSP < 4) are negatively affected and relatively few players use these small sizes on fighters. Missiles larger than 4 MSP can actually be mounted more densely on fighters with this proposal.

In my current campaign, I have 2.5 MSP missiles on my bombers, so they would be worse off. I don't think that is a problem though as they are very powerful now.

Starhawk III class Bomber      500 tons       2 Crew       138.2 BP       TCS 10    TH 200    EM 0
20004 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0-0      PPV 4.56
Maint Life 0.19 Years     MSP 5    AFR 100%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 26    5YR 394    Max Repair 100 MSP
Magazine 30   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 2.4 days    Morale Check Required   

Ravenor AC-200-B Attack Craft Drive (1)    Power 200    Fuel Use 268.33%    Signature 200    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 29,000 Litres    Range 3.89 billion km (54 hours at full power)

Light Torpedo Launcher (12)     Missile Size: 2.5    Hangar Reload 79 minutes    MF Reload 13 hours
MK IV Light Torpedo Fire Control (1)     Range 44.8m km    Resolution 120
MK VI-B Light Torpedo (12)    Speed: 80,400 km/s    End: 2.6m     Range: 12.7m km    WH: 7    Size: 2.5    TH: 268/160/80

MK IV Starhawk Augur Array (1)     GPS 864     Range 31.7m km    Resolution 120

• Petty Officer
  • E
However, why would you choose the latter and pay double cost unless you also planned to add magazines?
I did not follow all changes - do box launchers still behave differently concerning chance of explosions of stored ordnance? If yes, I am sure as hell going for reduced launchers over box.

I made edit after you started your message, it all would make drastically more sence if non-box launchers dont add magazine space by themselves. At all. But it will come as nerf to classical launchers essentially subtracting one salvo which is probably not good thing.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
However, why would you choose the latter and pay double cost unless you also planned to add magazines?
I did not follow all changes - do box launchers still behave differently concerning chance of explosions of stored ordnance? If yes, I am sure as hell going for reduced launchers over box.

I made edit after you started your message, it all would make drastically more sence if non-box launchers dont add magazine space by themselves. At all. But it will come as nerf to classical launchers essentially subtracting one salvo which is probably not good thing.

All launchers would still add 'magazine space'. There is no proposal to change that.

The box launcher explosion mechanic was intended to prevent huge ships mounting massed box launchers. I have a small number of the class below in my current game, which do mount box launchers, but I probably wouldn't mount them on anything larger because of that mechanic. However, if 30% reduction launchers are effectively reduced to the same size as box launchers, it probably doesn't make sense to retain that mechanic anyway.

Cobra III-D class Destroyer      9,375 tons       162 Crew       1,835.8 BP       TCS 187    TH 1,875    EM 2,550
10000 km/s      Armour 4-39       Shields 85-510       HTK 37      Sensors 0/14/0/0      DCR 6-6      PPV 57
Maint Life 2.18 Years     MSP 739    AFR 117%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 209    5YR 3,135    Max Repair 468.75 MSP
Magazine 375   
Commander    Control Rating 2   BRG   AUX   
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Morale Check Required   

Ravenor RDS-938-B Inertial Confinement Fusion Drive (2)    Power 1875.0    Fuel Use 30.26%    Signature 937.5    Explosion 12%
Fuel Capacity 332,000 Litres    Range 21.1 billion km (24 days at full power)
Valentinian-Stern VS-85 Void Shield (1)     Recharge Time 510 seconds (0.2 per second)

Light Torpedo Launcher (150)     Missile Size: 2.5    Hangar Reload 79 minutes    MF Reload 13 hours
MK III Light Torpedo Fire Control (4)     Range 34.8m km    Resolution 120
MK I Anti-Cloak Torpedo Fire Control (1)     Range 17.4m km    Resolution 15
MK VI-B Light Torpedo (150)    Speed: 80,400 km/s    End: 2.6m     Range: 12.7m km    WH: 7    Size: 2.5    TH: 268/160/80

MK III Cloak Detection Array (1)     GPS 420     Range 27.5m km    Resolution 15
MK III Frigate Active Augur Array (1)     GPS 10080     Range 95.4m km    Resolution 120
MK III Electromagnetic Augur Array (1)     Sensitivity 14     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  29.6m km
ECCM-2 (1)         ECM 30

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
BTW the only serious concern I have on the whole proposal is how to ensure NPRs deal with increased salvo sizes, but that is more about improving NPR ship design and tactics than an issue with the mechanics.

Although I suppose the situation isn't really any worse than now in terms of max salvo size - its more about larger reloadable salvo sizes.

• Admiral of the Fleet
BTW the only serious concern I have on the whole proposal is how to ensure NPRs deal with increased salvo sizes, but that is more about improving NPR ship design and tactics than an issue with the mechanics.

Although I suppose the situation isn't really any worse than now in terms of max salvo size - its more about larger reloadable salvo sizes.

This is my primary concern as well, but really any buff to missiles is going to come with a "but what about the poor NPRs?" question. For this reason I would certainly not expect to see this in v2.2, more likely 2.3+.

However...if we can already abuse the poor NPRs, what's one more new and exciting way to do it?  :P

Offline TurielD

• Petty Officer
  • T
This sounds like an excellent idea! Great job setting this out nuclearslurpee.

I've wanted to have star-trek style 'torpedo launchers' as secondary weapons next to beams on ships in playthroughs, but larger missiles and full size launchers are wildly impractical/space-intensive to have with a ROF which approaches beams. I had accepted that they are an active detriment to a ship design but it would be great if they wouldn't be... and I think this proposal would make size 8-12 missiles a viable possibility.

Indeed, it would actively incentivize the use of larger missiles! Why go for size 8, when you can use 50% larger size 12 missiles for only ~20% more hull space. Obviously this has a number of drawbacks, mostly economically, but the psychological effect shouldn't be understated and I think would make the consideration much more interesting!.

The most amazing part IMO is that MS1 spam doesn't get buffed by this. My greatest peeve is how Precursors are most dangerous when they make their AMMs into armor-abrading gattling-missile-launchers - wave size is king after all.

One point I would like to raise with the prospect of potentially buffing missiles, is that reduced-size launchers are linearly cheaper to produce than full sized ones, and that might deserve a commensurate (inversed) quadratic change - after all the materials for building a missile launcher don't evenly go into its reloading infrastructure:
  • Miniaturization technology should be somewhat costly to produce
  • The launch tube is going to require a minimum structure to actually hold the missile, provide exhaust flow, cover the missile ports etc.
  • Fitting dozens of launchers is complexer to implement, and should take more time to build
  • Volley size is king, increasing it by increasing your launchers by a factor of 6 deserves to cost more than 1x as much
Perhaps change build cost of reduced-size launchers to 1-(1-size)^2:

or even 1-(1-size)^3:

Obviously this is relatively minor next to the cost of the missiles, but again it has a psychological effect: guiding players to recognize that more launchers isn't without cost. 

P.S. I wish the website could handle showing all these images and tables without having to jump through hoops to stop browsers redirecting to HTTPS

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314, nuclearslurpee

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
One point I would like to raise with the prospect of potentially buffing missiles, is that reduced-size launchers are linearly cheaper to produce than full sized ones, and that might deserve a commensurate (inversed) quadratic change - after all the materials for building a missile launcher don't evenly go into its reloading infrastructure:
  • Miniaturization technology should be somewhat costly to produce
  • The launch tube is going to require a minimum structure to actually hold the missile, provide exhaust flow, cover the missile ports etc.
  • Fitting dozens of launchers is complexer to implement, and should take more time to build
  • Volley size is king, increasing it by increasing your launchers by a factor of 6 deserves to cost more than 1x as much

I don't hate your idea, but I don't love it either. Still trying to figure out what my opinion is.

Have you factored into your thinking the increase in magazine size and cost that goes with additional launchers?

I feel like we already pay a lot in increased reload time for increased number of tubes. If you measure in missiles launched per day (or some other suitably long time frame to let things average out), the reduced size launchers are much, much less efficient, ton for ton. So part of me says you're asking to make reduced size launchers pay twice.

On the other hand, I take your point about cramming more tubes in feels like it ought to cost more.

• Admiral of the Fleet
I like the justifications given and on the surface of it I like Turiel's idea quite a bit.

However, in practice I think we have to be careful with tweaking the costs too much as the strategic effects can be difficult. Missiles are already pretty expensive, both to build and to maintain the logistics chain for, so bumping up the cost for missile fleets would make it even harder to actually match a beam fleet ton-for-ton - how that balances against the intended tactical improvements which we hope make missiles more viable is unclear but it would pose an uphill battle for missile fleets. If we reduce the base cost to compensate then this is a bit of a buff for the AMM-spam tactics that most players do not like very much.

Given this I think keeping the cost mechanics as they are, aside from the proposed box launcher changes, is the reasonable starting point and then Steve can use cost as another knob to tweak if he feels the need in testing the changes.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J

Yes, using the mechanics of this proposal you could have a dozen box launchers or pay twice as much for a dozen 30% reduction launchers (without adding magazines) and consequently have the same amount of launchers in the same space. However, why would you choose the latter and pay double cost unless you also planned to add magazines?

Which is why I said above that the design choice changes to maximum alpha strike, or inclusion of magazines.

This proposal doesn't make box launchers any worse than they are now. It just makes the reloadable launchers a serious alternative option.

I think there is a point to this concern to some degree which is why I suggested that reducing the size of launchers should not lower the cost of the launcher so reduced sized launchers are more costly per size over full size launchers and then you give box launchers perhaps 25% the cost of regular launchers.

The cost of launchers are generally relatively cheap in comparison with many other components, especially later on when engines and other components go up allot in cost. It would also give some cost reduction for using the less efficient full size launchers in ASM configuration over reduced size launchers.

For larger ships there certainly is a point to mount 30% reduced launchers with no magazines in order to increase the size of the missiles you can fire, that is exactly why all naval ships today have just that kind of system installed on them. Being able to reload them in space without needing a hangar is good enough for 30% reduced launcher size for the most part.

If you make all launchers cost the same as full size launchers then launchers will be expensive and using box launchers ships will make sense sometimes. You will always want box launchers on ships you intend to carry in hangars no matter what, but for patrol ships and system defence ships there will now be more of choice and a real downside for both options.

I quite often use 30% reduced launchers without magazines even in todays game for the same reasons, larger salvos or just more space for other things. These launchers reload so slow anyway that you are not going attack based on attrition anyway. The only time I add magazines is if the ship also have AMM launchers... the magazines now can serve a dual purpose but primarily is for AMM missiles.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:02:25 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314, nuclearslurpee

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant

Assuming launchers' minimum mass is equal to minimum mass, then the 'reduced size' launchers would also have the same mass as the standard size launcher. This was the issue I was trying to point out.

This makes sense now. I'm not sure what to do about this, but I do know that the 30% size only meets the missile size at 36 MSP, which is such a large an impractical size that I'm not sure it's worth worrying about at least for game balance.

I've messed around with different functions, and I can see there are some that have an oblique asymptote that gets close to, but never quite reaches launcher_mass=missile_mass. But, it's messy, doesn't follow a simple progression from a gameplay perspective, and as you've pointed out probably doesn't matter: For size 64 missiles and above, 40% and 30% launchers will be the same mass. Yay for us. It'll probably never come up.