Author Topic: What's Your Largest Empire?  (Read 6063 times)

Offline clew (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • c
What's Your Largest Empire?
« on: March 10, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
With 1. 12 out for a while, what's the largest empire anyone has run? Just Sol + a few terraformed colonies? Or a sprawling civilization with multiple sectors, regional bases, and industrial bases across a wide swath of the galaxy?

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: What's Your Largest Empire?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 01:32:25 PM »
Sol had Mercury, Luna, and Mars at ~200m people, Venus had a couple million in orbital habitats with forced labor mines.  Two other systems each had ~400m people.  One system had an alien homeworld I was harvesting for forced labor mines.  Few dozen automated and orbital mining colonies throughout my empire.

I find there's very little reason for more than one sector; sector commands are cheap to expand.

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »
https://imgur.com/XZYCQwJ

Here are the populated planets after almost 200 in-game years (plus quite a bunch of automines outposts)... It's still not much, but I'm getting there...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:31 PM »
https://imgur.com/XZYCQwJ

Here are the populated planets after almost 200 in-game years (plus quite a bunch of automines outposts)... It's still not much, but I'm getting there...

I'm curious how after 200 years you're managing to sustain 10b pop in Sol. After 200 years I would expect to have Sol basically mined out and the major population centers distributed across a few major sectors to make it easier to keep resources flowing in. I can see keeping some population in Sol for maybe major shipyards plus financial and research but I'm not sure that would be to the tune of 10b out of a total 16-17b.

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:14:00 PM »
If you saw the amount of industry workers that constantly build smeg at insane pace using all those resources coming out from mining colonies and all the colonists I consantly ship to other places... You'd understand I need them ::)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »
If you saw the amount of industry workers that constantly build smeg at insane pace using all those resources coming out from mining colonies and all the colonists I consantly ship to other places... You'd understand I need them ::)

I guess really my question is why you haven't moved all those factories and workers to new systems closer to the resources they use. Seems to me that a shorter supply line would let you pump out even more with your industry.

Then again, that might just be my "bad at economics, permanent duranium crisis" playstyle leaking out...

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:32:53 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/7GEd9nx

This is just Proxima Centauri. Alpha Centauri is also very good, saved my day early on after I developed FTL tech.

Besides, the distances aren't long. Moving all those people and installations somewhere else on the other hand... Tons of micromanagement. Tons of resources for colony ships. Huge slowdown as all those people travel instead of working. Having to rebuild shipyards from scratch elsewhere. It is all worth to save a few billion kilometers?... No thank you if the need arises I'll just build faster freighters. Way cheaper and easier that way. These people have stuff to do. A few hundred millions on Europa and Moon serve as a colonists reserve now, but those on Mars and Earth have a lot to do.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:42:23 PM »
'Best':

50 colonies (with 0.25 research, survey, teraforming, etc...)
3.7b population total across all colonies (75 non-populated colonies in addition)
145 years game time.
Admiral Adama as my race image because he's kinda awesome

125 colonized worlds
500k naval tonnage
160k commercial tonnage
400k ground troop tonnage

I am certain others have surpassed this, please report your imperial census statistics!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:52:26 PM by liveware »
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
'Best':

50 colonies (with 0.25 research, survey, teraforming, etc...)
3.7b population total across all colonies (75 non-populated colonies in addition)
145 years game time.
Admiral Adama as my race image because he's kinda awesome

125 colonized worlds
500k naval tonnage
160k commercial tonnage
400k ground troop tonnage

I am certain others have surpassed this, please report your imperial census statistics!

How do you spread to 125 worlds with only 160k commercial tons? That's, like, four standard freighters...

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
Do these include civilian mining and all that? Also how do people colonise so much with barely any population... Is it even worth it in the slightest?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:12:57 PM by Stormtrooper »

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 09:25:16 PM »
Sorry I missed an order of magnitude with commercial tonnage.

Commercial tonnage: 1.6M tons

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »
Do these include civilian mining and all that? Also how do people colonise so much with barely any population... Is it even worth it in the slightest?

I'm not sure. I'm just quoting whatever the empire screen is showing me.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »
Watching Issac Arthur a lot really puts into perspective how small your empires actually are compared to what we can do in 200 years with our current tech.

Really makes me wish for mega structures to be added. But whatever.

Largest empire i ever made was just Sol and like...2.5 billion people.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 10:08:41 PM »

Watching Issac Arthur a lot really puts into perspective how small your empires actually are compared to what we can do in 200 years with our current tech.

Really makes me wish for mega structures to be added. But whatever.

Largest empire i ever made was just Sol and like...2.5 billion people.

...you could build your own mega structure?  In the aforementioned game I have a 30x+ asteroid mining complex on Ceres. It used to be bigger but I relocated 3/4 of it to another star system since Ceres is running dry.

I also have a 50x teraforming complex on venus for funsies in this game. Does that count as a megastructure?

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
C'mon, there no way my smeg ass 175 world 'empire' is the best anyone out there has achieved... I felt as though that empire was just beginning to become something interesting...