Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345819 times)

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3015 on: September 15, 2022, 07:23:42 AM »
Is there a way to scrap space stations without building massive shipyards? I don't seem to able to select them for scrapping either in the shipyard menu or as installations.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3016 on: September 15, 2022, 12:45:33 PM »
Is there a way to scrap space stations without building massive shipyards? I don't seem to able to select them for scrapping either in the shipyard menu or as installations.
You could use a repair yard or commercial yard, since those cost less to upgrade than military yards

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3017 on: September 15, 2022, 01:19:16 PM »

I guess abandon ship followed by salvaging could be a workaround without using shipyards?

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Ultimoos

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #3018 on: September 15, 2022, 05:16:18 PM »
I have another question.  Does missile agility also reduce chance of that missile being hit?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3019 on: September 15, 2022, 08:22:25 PM »
I have another question.  Does missile agility also reduce chance of that missile being hit?
No, increasing speed and missile ECM are the only ways to make a missile harder to hit

Offline Xanithas

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #3020 on: September 18, 2022, 10:55:04 AM »
I checked around but does the Main Engineering affect parasite craft while attached to the carrier? Does it affect the maintenance supply usage of any ship maintained by a ship with maintenance supply modules?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3021 on: September 18, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
I think nuclearslurpee missed that this question was about hangars and fighters?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought hangars stop the maintenance clock and reset the deployment time of carried ships, so you need neither maintenance modules nor recreation modules.

Oh sure I guess this is my day job now huh?  ;)

Commercial hangars will not maintain whatever you put in them, but AFAIK if you have maintenance modules at the same site/fleet or on the same ship you can maintain with those. Maintenance facilities however would not work.

Similarly, a recreation module is necessary for reducing deployment clock if a populated colony is not available to do the job.

Only military hangars preclude the need for other facilities entirely.
I just tested it and we were both half right. Having a fighter landed on a commercial hangar DOES reset its deployment time, but it won't stop its maintenance clock, (so it will eventually blow up from maintenance failures unless the ship/fleet also has maintenance modules). Having the carrier orbit a population with maintenance facilities does also work by the way.
I found relevant info on the parasite deployment rules:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104052#msg104052

Basically, a carrier which has exceeded its deployment time cannot rewind a parasites deployment clock. So a commercial carrier with a 3 month deployment shouldn't reduce military parasites deployment time once the carrier's deployment is greater than 3 months or whatever you set the deployment time as

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3022 on: September 18, 2022, 08:32:40 PM »
I found relevant info on the parasite deployment rules:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104052#msg104052

Basically, a carrier which has exceeded its deployment time cannot rewind a parasites deployment clock. So a commercial carrier with a 3 month deployment shouldn't reduce military parasites deployment time once the carrier's deployment is greater than 3 months or whatever you set the deployment time as

Check again. Commercial vessels do not even have deployment clocks; they show a simply dash in the deployment time column instead. Commercial carriers thus always reduce the deployment time of their parasites no matter how long the carrier has been deployed.

Any military ship, or one equipped with geological survey sensors, has a deployment clock, similar to their maintenance clock, which is displayed on the fleet window in months

The following users thanked this post: captainwolfer

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3023 on: September 22, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »
Will survey ships set to automatically go to systems that need grav or geo survey ever go though unexplored jump points, or do I need to do that manually?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3024 on: September 22, 2022, 10:43:26 AM »
I beleive this is a manual thing. Certainly my explorer ships don't when I leave them on automatic. Overall a good thing, it means that I have to deliberatly choose which point to explore and if for instance I prefer to send in a fast scout to check for aliens I can be certain that will be the first entrance into the system

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #3025 on: September 22, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
It's manual. The standing order necessarily needs a system to exist to function. Basically, they won't go through an unexplored jump because there isn't a system there yet, and the jump could end up linking to an already known system anyway.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3026 on: September 23, 2022, 01:58:02 PM »
It would be nice to have an “explore unexplored jump point” order. Also, the ability to set any number of standing orders rather than just four.

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #3027 on: September 23, 2022, 02:48:21 PM »
How do I get the ELINT module? I cannot see it anywhere in the list of components, nor in the options for research.

Also, what does the following mean in a report about an alien ship (yeah, I just encountered aliens in Sol and now am playing catchup):
Observed sensors:
AS#1  GPS32
I guess the AS is active sensor, but what is gps?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:54:34 PM by superstrijder15 »

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3028 on: September 23, 2022, 03:02:08 PM »
How do I get the ELINT module? I cannot see it anywhere in the list of components, nor in the options for research.

Also, what does the following mean in a report about an alien ship (yeah, I just encountered aliens in Sol and now am playing catchup):
Observed sensors:
AS#1  GPS32
ELINT is under sensors and fire control research. It should be called something like "electronic intelligence gathering 5", and i think it is 5000 pts of research cost

GPS is basically how powerful the active portion of the sensor is. You need ELINT to figure out how sensitive the sensor is, and only then can you determine its range and resolution

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3029 on: September 23, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »

ELINT tech requires you to research a certain level of EM sensor tech before it is available.

Observed sensors:
AS#1  GPS32

The GPS (grav pulse strength) of an active sensor is its size*resolution*base strength (tech level). For example, an active sensor which is size 0.5 at tech level Active Sensor Strength 12 and has resolution 10 would have a GPS of 0.5*12*10 = 60.