Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345807 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3060 on: September 29, 2022, 01:36:44 PM »
I'm looking to invade a planet with terrain listed as "Desert Mountain" - do my troops need both desert and mountain capability?

Yes and no.

No in that even only one of those capabilities will boost their effectiveness.

Yes in that having both capabilities will actually stack and make them even more boosted.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3061 on: September 30, 2022, 12:46:32 PM »
1 - Do NPRs have to perform fleet training to avoid penalties? Doesn't look like it...

2 - Do NPRs fully use FACs and fighters and carriers now? Have seen FACs, but not sure on the fighters and carriers.

3 - Do NPRs have civilian shipping lines? Can't quite see why they wouldn't but would be nice to know.

Edit:

4 - Do NPRs use fighters, and by extension, ships and FACs for ground support already or is that not implemented yet?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:48:36 PM by Xkill »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3062 on: September 30, 2022, 03:26:07 PM »
In the Game Settings, there is a checkbox (ticked by default) called "Generate New Races as NPRs".

My understanding is that if I uncheck this box, new races will be generated (according to the NPR generation chance setting) as player races. However, I am concerned that I may be misunderstanding and the functionality is actually to disable automatic new race creation entirely. Does anyone happen to know for certain what the mechanic is here?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3063 on: September 30, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »
1 - Do NPRs have to perform fleet training to avoid penalties? Doesn't look like it...
No but NPRs play by slightly different rules when it comes to that.

2 - Do NPRs fully use FACs and fighters and carriers now? Have seen FACs, but not sure on the fighters and carriers.
Yes, at least to FACs - not sure if carriers/fighters were added already. Steve has been meaning to add them and the 7.2 update to VB6 Aurora was meant to include them - they even show up in Steve's AAR for that update - but then the conversion to C# happened.

3 - Do NPRs have civilian shipping lines? Can't quite see why they wouldn't but would be nice to know.
Yes, sort of.

4 - Do NPRs use fighters, and by extension, ships and FACs for ground support already or is that not implemented yet?
NPRs do not use ground-support fighters. They also can use ships to bombard colonies and troops but I don't know whether they do actual ground-support missions.

In the Game Settings, there is a checkbox (ticked by default) called "Generate New Races as NPRs".

My understanding is that if I uncheck this box, new races will be generated (according to the NPR generation chance setting) as player races. However, I am concerned that I may be misunderstanding and the functionality is actually to disable automatic new race creation entirely. Does anyone happen to know for certain what the mechanic is here?
Yes, untick the box and any new race is player-controlled one. If you don't want any new races generated automatically, set the percentage change of spawning to zero.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3064 on: September 30, 2022, 09:28:43 PM »

Yes, untick the box and any new race is player-controlled one. If you don't want any new races generated automatically, set the percentage change of spawning to zero.

Eeeeexcellent. That's what I thought but I was feeling a bit unsure, thanks!

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #3065 on: October 01, 2022, 12:05:01 AM »
Is it a good idea to put your ground forces support equipment (long range arty, fire controllers, logistics, and constructions units) inside the same unit as your HQ or should they be broken up into smaller dedicated units to take advantage of Ground Commander skills?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3066 on: October 01, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
Is it a good idea to put your ground forces support equipment (long range arty, fire controllers, logistics, and constructions units) inside the same unit as your HQ or should they be broken up into smaller dedicated units to take advantage of Ground Commander skills?
My current force layout puts some artillery and some supply in each HQ formation, then at the division level (Battalion, brigade, division), I have 1 engineer battalion and 2 supply battalions as direct subordinates of the division HQ. That way even smaller formations have most of what they need to work, and I consider it a good middle ground when it comes to micro-management

Offline Nibuddzhi

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #3067 on: October 01, 2022, 04:15:52 PM »
Good afternoon, I understand correctly that the forces of attraction of celestial bodies are not implemented in the game.  Those.  ships cannot travel between planets by first setting course and leaving the rest to the gravity of the star and planets.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3068 on: October 01, 2022, 06:04:00 PM »
Good afternoon, I understand correctly that the forces of attraction of celestial bodies are not implemented in the game.  Those.  ships cannot travel between planets by first setting course and leaving the rest to the gravity of the star and planets.
No this is not a newtonian model.
There is no acceleration at all ships move at their designed speed instantly. Even the slowest ship you could build is going to be vastly quicker in getting anywhere than relying on gravity .

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3069 on: October 03, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
Does the order "Provide Ground CAP" actually function? I've been experimenting with ground fighters, and I've gotten Provide Ground Support as well as Search and Destroy to work, but Flak Suppression and Ground CAP appear to have no effect (no friendly planes getting destroyed, no targeting of hostile ground forces). How exactly do those orders function?
I provided the hostile forces with fighters armed with Air-to-Air pods, equipped them to the launchers, equipped the launchers to the missile sensors for the whole fleet, made sure active sensors were on and could see my friendly fighters, and put in the "Provide Ground CAP" order, but nothing happened. Same thing on either side with Flak Suppression.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3070 on: October 03, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
You have to assign each fighter individually to a ground unit with an FFD. As you need hundreds of fighters to make a real difference this can take some time

Offline lumporr

• l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3071 on: October 04, 2022, 05:05:42 AM »
You have to assign each fighter individually to a ground unit with an FFD. As you need hundreds of fighters to make a real difference this can take some time

This works for "Provide Ground Support", but not for "Provide Ground CAP". Where the ships would appear in the ground units tab for the support mission, they do not for the CAP mission. Furthermore, I ask because here (https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110233#msg110233) Steve stated that he had yet to code the CAP mission, but that was several years ago and I was wondering if it had been finished in the interim. The fact that the Flak Suppression mission also doesn't work makes me think I might be doing something wrong.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:08:28 AM by lumporr »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3072 on: October 04, 2022, 01:19:50 PM »
Don't bother with CAS fighters until Steve gets to work on it, especially being able to assign loads of them quickly.

They also just die and aren't very effective at all.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3073 on: October 04, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »
Fighters need a total redesign how they work... it is simply not worth your time to use them because of all the micromanagement involved. That is my conclusion after actually trying to make them work.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #3074 on: October 04, 2022, 05:59:10 PM »
Does turning off Civilian Shipping in options cause them to also stop making civilian mining colonies?  Or else, what is the most common reason for an empire with 200K wealth to stop seeing them get created?  (the planet in question has 7 to 8 figures of every mineral on it)