Author Topic: Where do 'supply points' come from for a ground unit?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Where do 'supply points' come from for a ground unit?
« on: January 17, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
I am planning to add extra supply to my ground units, but I assume that too will get used up. Probably my drop force will go down carrying not much more than a week of supply.  How do you keep them supplied? What is the source of the supply? Will I have to manually create a supply chain and move those supplies?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope they are useful for other newbies (such as mysefl).

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Where do 'supply points' come from for a ground unit?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »
I am planning to add extra supply to my ground units, but I assume that too will get used up. Probably my drop force will go down carrying not much more than a week of supply.  How do you keep them supplied? What is the source of the supply? Will I have to manually create a supply chain and move those supplies?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope they are useful for other newbies (such as mysefl).
This post from the C# Change List covers ground force logistics
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109760#msg109760

Edit: Also, I think these questions are suppose to go in the Academy section of the forum (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=19.0)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:37:39 PM by captainwolfer »

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Panpiper

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
Thank you. I'll post such questions there in the future.

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 04:02:12 PM »
Ok, I read the article in question very carefully. From what I can see is that supply points come, quite simply, by 'consuming' supply trucks. Like they get used up and disappear. The actual physical truck and or infantry actually gets consumed. Is this correct?

I also understand that there is currently no way to repair a unit's losses other than manually, though I am not sure doing that mechanically is even possible. Is this also correct?

If this is so, then it is 'clearly' an extremely bad idea to embed supply deeper inside the hierarchy of one's troop organization, as it will require vastly more micromanagement to go in there and manually re-add them (again, if that is even mechanically possible).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »
In general you want to keep all logistics units in a formation that is put in the rear echelon and which can supply any units beneath them in the structure. There really are very little point in embedding logistic into combat units unless they are suppose to fight independently, some Marine units on amphibious assault ships might want to use that for example.

Steve added an automatic system for deploying replacement to troop formation in the 1.12 update... you find how that work here... http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11593.msg140370#msg140370

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 06:33:46 PM »
I usually include some logistics units in the frontline formations so they can be deployed independently, with the bulk of the logistics in the parent formations. I also build pure logistics formations for resupply.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:03:50 PM »
I also understand that there is currently no way to repair a unit's losses other than manually, though I am not sure doing that mechanically is even possible. Is this also correct?
Thankfully, version 1.12 of the game added a way to replenish troops.

Basically, in the ground unit screen, click on the fourth tab on the top, the Unit Series one.

How unit series work is you make a series for every element you want to be able to automatically replace (IE Infantry, Infantry with CAP, Infantry with LAV, etc). Then, if a unit does not have enough of an element compared to the template it was based on, it will take elements from units marked with the "replacements" checkbox.

Example: I have a formation (call it formation A) that has used up some of its supply trucks. I go to the unit series page, and create a new series called "supply truck", and add my supply truck element to that series. Now, I can mark another formation (Call it Formation B) to be used for replacements, and so Formation A will automatically take supply trucks from Formation B until the number of supply trucks in it match the number of supply trucks that it had when built.

Note: If a unit is marked to be used for replacements, it will not be able to then be able to automatically replenish itself.
Note 2: you can put more than 1 element in a unit series. The unit on top will be used to replace losses from any of the units in the series.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:35 AM »

Basically, in the ground unit screen, click on the fourth tab on the top, the Unit Series one.
Oh, nice. I was beginning to wonder how to use that tab. Is there a post where it is explained in detail?

Thanks.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 01:21:27 AM »

Oh, nice. I was beginning to wonder how to use that tab. Is there a post where it is explained in detail?

Thanks.

Post by Steve: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11593.msg140370#msg140370

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler