Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124203 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #825 on: September 05, 2022, 04:02:11 PM »
Couldn't an abandoned civilian ship just generate a wreck?

It isn't destroyed - just abandoned. If the player doesn't want to recover it they can destroy it, but at least they have the option.

It would be best if the player had access to some sort of "auto-abandon" toggle that is unchecked by default. I can predict this getting quite annoying on some games.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #826 on: September 05, 2022, 04:09:56 PM »

It isn't destroyed - just abandoned. If the player doesn't want to recover it they can destroy it, but at least they have the option.

It would be best if the player had access to some sort of "auto-abandon" toggle that is unchecked by default. I can predict this getting quite annoying on some games.

I don't think it would happen too often, since Civilian ships being damaged but not destroyed is pretty rare (maybe less so with Raiders but still rare). This only applies if a civilian ship is stranded in space due to some kind of damage, civilians will still scrap ships normally so you won't be accumulating a bunch of extra ships in Earth orbit when the civilians decide they are too old.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #827 on: September 05, 2022, 04:27:36 PM »

How many combat-damaged (but not destroyed) civilian ships have you encountered in your games so far?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #828 on: September 05, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »

How many combat-damaged (but not destroyed) civilian ships have you encountered in your games so far?

I don't play with civilian ships nor have I played with the new spoilers but with the way it seems to be going for people it sounds like they are going to get constantly interrupted but I suppose that your right most of them would probably get outright destroyed.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #829 on: September 05, 2022, 04:47:48 PM »

I don't play with civilian ships nor have I played with the new spoilers but with the way it seems to be going for people it sounds like they are going to get constantly interrupted but I suppose that your right most of them would probably get outright destroyed.

In all of the test games I have played since adding the raiders, this situation hasn't happened once. If a civilian ship gets attacked, it dies. This change is to deal with the very rare occurrence where an attacking force is destroyed midway through attacking a civilian ship and they have eliminated that ship's ability to move. Previously, the civilians couldn't handle that so they just left the ship dead in space. If the ship can move, it will now make it home and be repaired. If not, the civilians will hand it over to the player. It is an opportunity to add a little flavour and is likely to happen once every few games.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus