Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.0  (Read 84698 times)

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.0
« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
Make Automated assignments apply to flag bridges as well.

That way, when I split a Cruiser squadron off for independent action, I don't have to worry that I won't have noticed that squadron's fleet commander had retired.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, papent, Barkhorn, Droll, superstrijder15, Snoman314

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2022, 03:48:46 AM »
Maybe it's time for another Theme import/update round?
Your last one seems to be more than 2 years ago.

Ofcourse this has nothing to do with the fact that I have submitted/corrected two of the Themes.  ;D

Alternatively/Additionally, can we get a counter in the names of the Themes, so wew can easily see how much entries they have?

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
It would be really handy to have the size of installations in standard cargo holds displayed when giving Load Installation orders to fleets (in the same way as was added to the Civilian tab of the Economics window).

Or it could even get really fancy, and tell you how many/what fraction of one the fleet can load... :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:11:56 AM by mike2R »

Offline RaidersOfTheVerge

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »
A small but annoying thing, On the commander screen, when you retire a commander/admin/scientist can thye UI be made not to take you to the retirted section and close any expanded lists?

Offline Xanithas

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
A note in the Civilian / Flags tab that tells you how many freighters are available for tasking / in use for something would be nice.

With that, perhaps the ability to specify what loads are for where so you don't have to only have one order at a time
IE
Earth has 200 Financial Centers for civilians to move 100 are for Luna and 100 are for Mars. You will generally get something odd like 98 on Luna and 102 on Mars since the liners use various cargo hold sizes. Or a liner will take the financial centers on Earth to a distant colony as opposed to that colony's its neighboring planet since the freighters are closer to Earth. Being able to specify destination on the supply tab would help this problem

Also forming Civilian companies on different planets / systems would be nice and not have all of them concentrated in one place when I have massive populations elsewhere

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
First Suggestion: Make a "Bugs Discussion" thread, so you can separate Bugs and Discussions. :-)

Second one: Make the player-controlled "Commercial" ships aware of the "Military Restricted System" flag when on Standing Orders.
In my case it would apply to my Salvagers, which are looking for wrecks in all known systems.
In a very rare circumstance it could be possible to find a system with an already habitable body. To make planet fall with troops you have to make the body a colony. Which will automatically tell all colonization ships you set to "Load colonists" -> "Unload colonists" to move to the enemy and unload colonists. I know, you could set the colony to not accept colonists, but will you really think about that in this moment?

The game already distinguishes between Military and Commercial designs, even mentioning to be used for Standing Orders.
And it will give the Flag a meaning in a game with deactivated civilians.

Offline Xanithas

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
Having awards that normally apply to "ground" and "space" commanders automatically award when conditions are met regardless of service IE STO formation Kills a ship should fulfill the "destroy a ship" award condition or a ship captain kills a enemy formation with orbital fire should fulfill the "destroy enemy ground unit" award condition. It would be neat to see and would give some RP flavor to our various officers

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline MaxKaladin

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
One thought I had was the ability to award medals to ships and ground formations much like you give them to commanders. Basically, this would give the ability to award battle stars and unit citations to ships and units that participate in important actions.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2022, 08:12:56 PM »
First Suggestion: Make a "Bugs Discussion" thread, so you can separate Bugs and Discussions. :-)
You can make new threads in the Bugs sub-forum for discussion about them. No need for a specific thread. Then, once there is consensus that it's a bug, the thread creator can post in the actual Bugs thread.

Offline GhostIsGone

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2022, 08:48:13 AM »
I want to preface this post with a couple things. I play on a 27" 1440p monitor (ROG SWIFT PG279Q), I sit about a meter from my screen. I deal with text on a daily basis (I'm a software developer) and I'm looking at a screen most of the day.

I regularly get headaches from looking at Aurora's UI only because of how small it is at 1440p. Combine this with contrast between text and colours on the UI I have to regularly strain my eyes to make out some text which causes the aforementioned headaches. I have tried increasing the scaling on my monitor to 125% which makes most of the UI readable, but all the text becomes extremely blurry, to the point where it also causes headaches trying to make out different characters.

I understand that Aurora has a very complicated UI where it would involve a lot of work to ensure the UI is scalable to different resolutions, specifically, since Aurora is configured to be played on 1080p, it would scale up by 50% when being played on 1440p. I understand that scaling down to fit on smaller screens isn't feasible due to how many UI elements Aurora has, but surely scaling upwards shouldn't require rearranging of UI elements?. As I was digging around for a solution, the closest I got is changing Aurora.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI Settings -> High DPI scaling override -> Application. This ensures that the text is crystal clear when playing on 125% Windows scaling. However, some interface elements are cut off which makes this solution not usable. If it weren't for this, I could play with this setting and not have to endure headaches.

Interestingly, this issue only exists on a handful of window; most windows are fine, I've included screenshots of the problematic windows.

I've I'd take a guess, I'd say that most, if not all, windows have a maximum window size. Due to the increase in font size, some scaling elements on the UI are pushing other elements that are anchored to said element out of the bounds of the window, and due to the window being limited in size, it can't scale to fit it's contents. Either making sure Aurora is DPI aware by uniformly increasing the scale of it's windows (WinForms should have an API to do this out of the box with very little effort needed, though I could be wrong, happy to provide my findings on this), or unlocking the maximum size of windows are two fixes that come to mind (keep in mind that I'm in no way saying that either of these solutions require little work).

I want to clarify that this is a minor accessibility issue but I hope that this could get some attention, surely I'm not the only one using a screen with a higher resolution.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:41:03 PM by GhostIsGone »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »
I want to preface this post with a couple things. I play on a 27" 1440p monitor (ROG SWIFT PG279Q), I sit about a meter from my screen. I deal with text on a daily basis (I'm a software developer) and I'm looking at a screen most of the day.

I regularly get headaches from looking at Aurora's UI only because of how small it is at 1440p. Combine this with contrast between text and colours on the UI I have to regularly strain my eyes to make out some text which causes the aforementioned headaches. I have tried increasing the scaling on my monitor to 125% which makes most of the UI readable, but all the text becomes extremely blurry, to the point where it also causes headaches trying to make out different characters.

I understand that Aurora has a very complicated UI where it would involve a lot of work to ensure the UI is scalable to different resolutions, specifically, since Aurora is configured to be played on 1080p, it would scale up by 50% when being played on 1440p. I understand that scaling down to fit on smaller screens isn't feasible due to how many UI elements Aurora has, but surely scaling upwards shouldn't require rearranging of UI elements?. As I was digging around for a solution, the closest I got is changing Aurora.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI Settings -> High DPI scaling override -> System (enhanced). This ensures that the text is crystal clear when playing on 125% Windows scaling. However, some interface elements are cut off which makes this solution not usable. If it weren't for this, I could play with this setting and not have to endure headaches.

Interestingly, this issue only exists on a handful of window; most windows are fine, I've included screenshots of the problematic windows.

I've I'd take a guess, I'd say that most, if not all, windows have a maximum window size. Due to the increase in font size, some scaling elements on the UI are pushing other elements that are anchored to said element out of the bounds of the window, and due to the window being limited in size, it can't scale to fit it's contents. Either making sure Aurora is DPI aware by uniformly increasing the scale of it's windows (WinForms should have an API to do this out of the box with very little effort needed, though I could be wrong, happy to provide my findings on this), or unlocking the maximum size of windows are two fixes that come to mind (keep in mind that I'm in no way saying that either of these solutions require little work).

I want to clarify that this is a minor accessibility issue but I hope that this could get some attention, surely I'm not the only one using a screen with a higher resolution.

I develop and play on a pair of 3440x1440 monitors without any issues. I only used the 1440x900 requirement so that people with smaller monitors can also play.

The following users thanked this post: GhostIsGone

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2022, 02:56:32 PM »

I understand that Aurora has a very complicated UI where it would involve a lot of work to ensure the UI is scalable to different resolutions, specifically, since Aurora is configured to be played on 1080p, it would scale up by 50% when being played on 1440p. I understand that scaling down to fit on smaller screens isn't feasible due to how many UI elements Aurora has, but surely scaling upwards shouldn't require rearranging of UI elements?. As I was digging around for a solution, the closest I got is changing Aurora.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI Settings -> High DPI scaling override -> Application. This ensures that the text is crystal clear when playing on 125% Windows scaling. However, some interface elements are cut off which makes this solution not usable. If it weren't for this, I could play with this setting and not have to endure headaches.

I would agree that the colour scheme that Steve uses is not optimal for many people, me included. I play with a pair of 4k monitors as well. I did change the colour scheme with the modding tool we can use for that purpose. I also could not play with the colour scheme for the same reasons as you.

This might help you...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:07:01 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: GhostIsGone

Offline Carthar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2022, 03:31:20 PM »
Stop civilian ship lines from moving employed populations.     

Either as a global option or an option to set a colony to only supply colonists from the unemployed population count.

The following users thanked this post: Laurence, Azarea, QuakeIV, papent, superstrijder15, Destragon, Skip121

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »
With the current automated medal awards, only the CO of a ship gets credit for any kills or achievements. This makes sense but it does mean that lower-level officers XO, TO, etc, never get any awards until they reach command rank.

It would be neat and make sense for some kinds of awards to go to all the officers. For example, in my current campaign, I have a "Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry" which is awarded for destroying a hostile ship. I've also got a unit citation for the first ship through a jump point and things like that. Maybe there could be a configuration option in the Medals window similar to the one in the manual "Award Medal" screen allowing us to select multiple recipients for certain awards? I realize this is complicated by the fact that achievements are tracked on individual commanders and maybe it isn't worth the effort. I just think it would be neat.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, El Pip, papent, superstrijder15, Snoman314, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »
With the current automated medal awards, only the CO of a ship gets credit for any kills or achievements. This makes sense but it does mean that lower-level officers XO, TO, etc, never get any awards until they reach command rank.

It would be neat and make sense for some kinds of awards to go to all the officers. For example, in my current campaign, I have a "Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry" which is awarded for destroying a hostile ship. I've also got a unit citation for the first ship through a jump point and things like that. Maybe there could be a configuration option in the Medals window similar to the one in the manual "Award Medal" screen allowing us to select multiple recipients for certain awards? I realize this is complicated by the fact that achievements are tracked on individual commanders and maybe it isn't worth the effort. I just think it would be neat.

It would also be cool to make it job specific. It makes sense for the tactical officer to get kill credits and for the science officer to get survey related credits while the chief engineer gets damage related credits.

You could have the CAG get the kill credits of the strike group, idk what you'd do for the XO.

The following users thanked this post: rainyday