Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.0  (Read 84272 times)

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.0
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2023, 04:38:27 AM »
If you look at the two screenshots, these are successive in the process of adding water vapour to Proxima Centauri II. You can see the Hydrographic Extent increases from 5.51 to 6.56.

Min Max thermal range changes from (-11.136 <> 54.498, which is a range of 65.634) to (-9.256 <> 56.849 range 66.105). So the range has increased not decreased and the temperature factor has gone from zero to 0.123 though it fluctuates quite a bit.

You need to let all that water vapor condense down to equilibrium, which will take ages from 0.5 atm. The increased range you're seeing is simply because you increased atmospheric pressure with water vapor which increased the body's greenhouse effect.

At the same time Hydrographic extent increased by 20% 5 to 6 ish but didnt seem to help and to the best of my knowledge does not have an effect, which is why I am suggesting liquid water could have an effect too.

I completely understand temperature increasing temporarily due to water vapour makes sense and the range of extremes increasing due to global warming also make sense as it is current meteorological science dogma and is considered to be due to the increased level of the energy equilibrium in the atmosphere causing higher wind speeds and thereby increased mixing of equatorial and polar weather systems in the atmosphere causing particular locations on the surface to experience a greater range of extremes.

But the global warming model does not include adding water to the system which would buffer the whole system as well as cause sea levels to rise of course.

In the example you could add Frigusium to counter the water vapour warming but that would only lower temperatures and shrink the range a little as a result, there is no way to change range independently of temperature so you are stuck with a fixed scale of range per temperature per body, as I understand it. On Proxima there is no way to bring the range inside tolerable though you might get away with straddling it.

If you are adding liquid water to a body then in theory the temperature range should decrease due to the buffering effect of liquid water's high SHC and bring about a reduction in temp range, which does not seem possible by any means in Aurora C# as things stand but might be worth having as you could use the hydrographic extent >20 to buffer the temperature range and reduce fluctuation due to eccentric orbit, at the cost of max population supportable. Alternatively you could invent a TN Reductium gas to do the same but since the hydrographic model already exists I just thought it would be a more interesting suggestion to make the most of it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:57:31 AM by boolybooly »

Offline gamemonger56

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2023, 08:42:24 PM »

I would like to see autofactories, maintenance and fuel. drop them on a planet with auto miners, tell the factories what to build and come back in a couple of years.

I would make them to be medium to high tech. starting imperium would not have access to to them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:27:55 PM by gamemonger56 »

Offline DawnMachine

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #392 on: January 30, 2023, 02:08:08 PM »
It would be great to be able to adjust the amount of research points from the salvaging of enemy ships. Or have the science multiplier effect it automatically.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2023, 04:58:11 AM »
Lifepod endurance tech.

Suggest that with higher tiers of key techs a logistics tech for lifepod endurance could allow increasing lifepod endurance.

e.g. 14,28,42,56 days.

Key techs could be any or all of terraforming / charge rate / colony cost / armour. The lifepod tech only appearing once all prerequisites have been researched.

The following users thanked this post: Akhillis, Kiero, TurielD, JuergenSchT, Snoman314, Ragnarsson

Offline gamemonger56

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2023, 06:42:37 PM »

Maybe, just maybe the design and construction of the tech could be improved. meaning, i launch a ship and within 30days something has broke, jump engines, drive engines, all manner of things.
Would scotty put up with that? would kirk? ships should not break less than a month out of the SY.

Just sayin'

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2023, 09:14:43 PM »

Maybe, just maybe the design and construction of the tech could be improved. meaning, i launch a ship and within 30days something has broke, jump engines, drive engines, all manner of things.
Would scotty put up with that? would kirk? ships should not break less than a month out of the SY.

Just sayin'

--- Have you tried using more Engineering Spaces?

The following users thanked this post: gamemonger56

Offline gamemonger56

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2023, 05:59:09 AM »

More engineering spaces? i can put more than one in a ship?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2023, 06:12:45 AM »
Yeah usually you put a lot of those into the same ship.  You can see the maintenance rating thingy go up as you add more.

If you were using only one I would bet you that is your main issue.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2023, 02:28:35 PM »

More engineering spaces? i can put more than one in a ship?

I can't find something more recent right this minute, but this page covers the key concepts: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ship_Maintenance

Offline gamemonger56

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2023, 10:17:37 PM »

yep, that "fixed" my problem!  many thanks!

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
An ability to designate a sector in the mineral search window.

Offline TurielD

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #401 on: February 05, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »
Ships connected to FFD units are so ineffective so as to be actually comical.

A ship that can fire every ~5-20 seconds, which could wipe out the entire ground force in an hour or so if we didn't care about collateral damage, fires once in an 8-hour window. Then its durasteel and energy-shield penetrating, WDM-scale firepower can apparently 'miss' by not being able to handle fortification level. A light vehicle can dodge the blast while being actively target-painted by the FFD unit.

Also this target painter unit is 1.25 the tonnage of a heavy anti-vehicle cannon, and it takes the same logistical burden to sync it with a ship as it does to direct an entire support-artillery battalion (it's a bit of a pain to manually assign ships to FFD-equipped formations). As it is, it's hardly worth the effort to set it up.

It would probably be good if we could get some kind of modeling of space-based weaponry acting with some kind of 'AOE' - in the sense that a single shot from a spinal-mounted railgun is probably going to leave a half-mile wide crater, and a laser will actively turn the atmosphere to plasma in a significant radius of the targeted soldier.

To model this we might see any of these from FFD'd ship fire:
  • the number of shots multiplied by some factor. Perhaps dependent on a quadratic function based on HS - 1 HS (small gun) weapon = 1 impact, but 4HS weapon (big gun) = 16 impacts
  • fire as many rounds as their ROF allows in ~120-600 seconds. Perhaps a variable number dependent on some measure of the intensity of the engagement
  • these shots might ignore entrenchment, and/or miss chance entirely. What's a target painter good for otherwise?

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, Mayne

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #402 on: February 05, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »
Ships connected to FFD units are so ineffective so as to be actually comical.

A ship that can fire every ~5-20 seconds, which could wipe out the entire ground force in an hour or so if we didn't care about collateral damage, fires once in an 8-hour window. Then its durasteel and energy-shield penetrating, WDM-scale firepower can apparently 'miss' by not being able to handle fortification level. A light vehicle can dodge the blast while being actively target-painted by the FFD unit.

Also this target painter unit is 1.25 the tonnage of a heavy anti-vehicle cannon, and it takes the same logistical burden to sync it with a ship as it does to direct an entire support-artillery battalion (it's a bit of a pain to manually assign ships to FFD-equipped formations). As it is, it's hardly worth the effort to set it up.

It would probably be good if we could get some kind of modeling of space-based weaponry acting with some kind of 'AOE' - in the sense that a single shot from a spinal-mounted railgun is probably going to leave a half-mile wide crater, and a laser will actively turn the atmosphere to plasma in a significant radius of the targeted soldier.

To model this we might see any of these from FFD'd ship fire:
  • the number of shots multiplied by some factor. Perhaps dependent on a quadratic function based on HS - 1 HS (small gun) weapon = 1 impact, but 4HS weapon (big gun) = 16 impacts
  • fire as many rounds as their ROF allows in ~120-600 seconds. Perhaps a variable number dependent on some measure of the intensity of the engagement
  • these shots might ignore entrenchment, and/or miss chance entirely. What's a target painter good for otherwise?

Rate of fire here are probably totally irrelevant as the fire is all about opportunity. Using the FFD is all about directing effective fire from the ship and avoiding as much collateral damage as possible. You also have the option of indiscriminate bombardment.

I do agree that ships probably should be able to fire their guns more than once per 8 hour but that should have no connection to rate of fire what so ever. You could give each weapon dedicated the ability to add ten shots or any other arbitrary number that seem more appropriate for support bombardment operations.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #403 on: February 06, 2023, 12:15:54 AM »
Almost completely missing the point I think, that once in 8 hours is indeed kindof ludicrous.

Offline Ush213

• Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #404 on: February 08, 2023, 04:46:32 AM »
Change so cargo modules don't have weight until there actually hauling cargo. Meaning empty cargo vessels are faster when empty. Also the inclusion of a dump cargo button.

With raiders now a common joy to encounter. I was thinking about other sci fi shows were the captain has to drop cargo to be able increase speed to attempt an escape. This would be a cool feature now when your cargo haulers detect a raider you can dump cargo and make a run for the nearest jump point.
maybe the cargo also become salvageable as to attract the raiders to it thus giving you a better chance to save the ship.