Author Topic: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 39534 times)

Offline MaxKaladin

• Petty Officer
  • M
Re: v2.1.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
I created a custom medal for my game.  Every time I load the game, I start to get an error "No Image found for Meda: Epsilon Eridani I Campaign".  This is a custom medal I created for a battle in my campaign.  If I go to the medals screen, I get the following error:  "2.1.1 Function #1070 C:\Aurora4x-2.1.1\Medals\war_ribbon_1b.png".  This persists until I assign a new image to the medal and it works fine after that.  The obvious issue is that the medal war_ribbon_1b.png is not in the Medals directory.  It's in a subdirectory.  It appears the medal isn't storing the fact that it's in a subdirectory.  If I move that image to the medals directory, I don't get the error anymore.

SJW: WAI. Medals need to be in the Medals folder.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 08:37:52 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »
I created a custom medal for my game.  Every time I load the game, I start to get an error "No Image found for Meda: Epsilon Eridani I Campaign".  This is a custom medal I created for a battle in my campaign.  If I go to the medals screen, I get the following error:  "2.1.1 Function #1070 C:\Aurora4x-2.1.1\Medals\war_ribbon_1b.png".  This persists until I assign a new image to the medal and it works fine after that.  The obvious issue is that the medal war_ribbon_1b.png is not in the Medals directory.  It's in a subdirectory.  It appears the medal isn't storing the fact that it's in a subdirectory.  If I move that image to the medals directory, I don't get the error anymore.

Not a bug per se, the game simply doesn't (can't?) look in subdirectories for medal images, presumably due to how they are stored in the DB (it has no problem opening the files in-game when you first assign the image to a medal). It is quite annoying though.

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 10:51:53 AM »
I have a couple of Salvagers which are classed as a Commercial Vessel and a Salvager but have no Jump Drive.
I put them on the Standing Order of "Salvage Nearest Wreck", which will let them travel throughout my entire space to salvage wrecks.
That's really convenient, so I don't have to search for all the wrecks I produce.  :)

But...
1: they are ignoring the fact that a system only has a stabilised entry WP, but not an outward WP. They trap themselves.
2: they completely ignore the "Military Restricted System" flag.

I consider both things as bugs, because this can't be WAI.  ;)

SJW: Both WAI. 'Military-restricted' bans civilian ships, not player ships.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 08:39:41 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:42 PM »
I have a couple of Salvagers which are classed as a Commercial Vessel and a Salvager but have no Jump Drive.
I put them on the Standing Order of "Salvage Nearest Wreck", which will let them travel throughout my entire space to salvage wrecks.
That's really convenient, so I don't have to search for all the wrecks I produce.  :)

But...
1: they are ignoring the fact that a system only has a stabilised entry WP, but not an outward WP. They trap themselves.

Actually, it can be!

The former is, while probably not desired, well within the rather simple logic of conditional orders - simply put, the salvagers have no way of knowing that you won't put a stable jump gate in that system while they're there, so they just blindly follow orders. I suspect that Steve considers the "blindly following orders" thing a feature rather than a bug since it forces a measure of player attention, whether this is a good thing or not is an open question I won't answer.

The latter is WAD, player-controlled ships are not subject to the military restriction on systems, that restriction primarily restricts civilian ships IIRC.

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2022, 03:02:33 AM »

But...

Actually, it can be!

The former is, while probably not desired, well within the rather simple logic of conditional orders - simply put, the salvagers have no way of knowing that you won't put a stable jump gate in that system while they're there, so they just blindly follow orders. I suspect that Steve considers the "blindly following orders" thing a feature rather than a bug since it forces a measure of player attention, whether this is a good thing or not is an open question I won't answer.

The latter is WAD, player-controlled ships are not subject to the military restriction on systems, that restriction primarily restricts civilian ships IIRC.
While I can see that the first one is probably ok-ish, I disagree with your second explanation.  ;)

First, by applying a standing order I actually no longer player-control the ship. I give the control to the AI.
Second, there is a checkbox at the movement orders tab, "Check Danger Level" (checked by default), which prevents my own units, which I actually control right now, to go to certain systems, because they are potentially dangerous. But my automatic Commercial units happily go to Military restricted systems with reported enemy presence.
Sorry, but that can't be WAI or WAD.

At least my Commercial units have to respect my decision to restrict a system to Military units.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 07:03:22 AM »
While I can see that the first one is probably ok-ish, I disagree with your second explanation.  ;)

First, by applying a standing order I actually no longer player-control the ship. I give the control to the AI.
Second, there is a checkbox at the movement orders tab, "Check Danger Level" (checked by default), which prevents my own units, which I actually control right now, to go to certain systems, because they are potentially dangerous. But my automatic Commercial units happily go to Military restricted systems with reported enemy presence.

At least my Commercial units have to respect my decision to restrict a system to Military units.

"Danger Level" is a completely different mechanic which is determined based on enemy military activity (basically it is set based on damage taken by your ships in that system from enemy fire). It is not a setting that the player controls.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 08:24:47 AM »

But...

Actually, it can be!

As explained by nuclearslurpee, it is working as intended. If you want to debate that the game should be implemented differently, that is for the suggestions thread. This particular bugs thread has a lot of non-bug posts, which makes it more time-consuming for me to work through it, which in turn means less time for development.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:26 PM »
I would recommend everyone to make a new thread in this sub-forum if they aren't certain that something is a bug. That way this thread does not get cluttered and other players can also weigh in on the issue. Just like the Discord server for Aurora has a bug-discussion channel for the exact same purpose.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2022, 03:12:17 PM »
Display Bug:  If you have two copies of the Naval Organization window opened (ie with Shift-Click) with them both opened to Ship Combat, and you drag a contact from one window to a firing control on another, the contact is removed from the tree in the first window - a refresh brings it back.

Offline Lazygun

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »
After deleting a naval admin command, any subordinate admin commands remain in the database, just inaccessible to the user interface.   The game effect is that commanders keep getting automatically appointed to the defunct admin commands, eventually retiring and getting replaced.   I discovered this after deciding I could only defend one survey expedition at a time, 20 or 30 in-game years ago. 

Steps to reproduce:
* start a new game
* create a naval admin command Level-1
* create a naval admin command Level-2 inside Level1
* create a naval admin command Level-3 inside Level2
* ensure all naval admin commands are set to automatically replace leaders, and then enable automatic replacements using the leaders window
* advance time: note that all three commands get a leader assigned.   Make a note of their names. 
* In the leaders window, unassign leaders of Level-2 and Level-3
* in the naval window, delete Level-1 entirely.   Advance time. 
* Note that leaders are re-appointed to Level-2 and Level-3

SJW: Fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 08:43:42 AM by Steve Walmsley »

LemonGambit

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2022, 01:05:59 PM »
Adding ground commander ranks or renaming ground commander ranks makes the Fleet Admin Commands use ground commander ranks and breaks the auto-assignment system.  Commanders can still be assigned manually through the officer window.  This bug existed in at least 2. 0 and 2. 1 as well, but this is the first time I've reported it.  It has been tested on a clean install as well and is easily reproducible as far as I can tell even from a brand new game or an existing one.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2022, 02:52:11 PM »
The fleet action Absorb seems to remove all remaining orders once it executes, and the fleet fires an Orders Completed event.  I believe the intended behaviour is that it should just continue with the rest of its orders (if its not, it should probably generate an error rather than Orders Complete).

SJW: Fixed for v2.2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 09:02:02 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2022, 11:58:30 AM »
I have a ship with multiple fire controls that were all destroyed by microwaves. "Cease Fire All Ships" seems to be ignoring this ship. I had to go into the database and disable its fire controls manually to stop interrupts.

The ship is HMS Mars, ShipID #47970.

Offline Ush213

• Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2022, 06:13:10 AM »
Hi
went away from my game for about 2 weeks and when I loaded it back up I keep getting error 2.   1.   1 function #2097: object reference not set to an instance of an object.   

it appears every few in-game days.    not sure what caused it.    I did notice some of the ships had been deleted though.    I had a few fuel harvesters in separate fleets.    their parent fleets were still there but the ships themselves were gone.    it's strange because I would not have gone into each fleet to delete them on my own

edit 1: just to add just started getting errors #2185 now also.   

edit 2: just noticed even though I'm currently building a few ships nothing is appearing under the shipyard task.  I think these errors could be related. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 06:52:29 AM by Ush213 »

Offline paolot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2022, 08:07:49 PM »
During a travel though some jump points, is it possible that a ship class increases its mass? an increase that prevents the next jump(s)?
I have ordered a fleet, made of two ships of the same class, to perform 4 jumps.
After 3 jumps, just when the fleet has to enter the last JP, the game event is saying to me:
"Battle Fleet cannot carry out a transit as there is no available jump drive capable of allowing the fleet's military engined ships to enter the jump point".
This is the class:

Regolo-2 class Assault Ship      40,090 tons       1,142 Crew       8,277.2 BP       TCS 802    TH 1,875    EM 4,800
4677 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 1-104       Shields 160-400       HTK 234      Sensors 0/12/0/0      DCR 2      PPV 70
Maint Life 0.98 Years     MSP 35,258    AFR 6429%    IFR 89.3%    1YR 36,154    5YR 542,304    Max Repair 2319.3 MSP
Capitano di Corvetta    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 9 months    Morale Check Required   

J40000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 40000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Ion Drive  EP375.00 (10)    Power 3750    Fuel Use 116.91%    Signature 187.5    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 7.7 billion km (19 days at full power)
Gamma S20 / R400 Shields (8)     Recharge Time 400 seconds (0.4 per second)

30cm C4 Soft X-ray Laser (7)    Range 256,000km     TS: 5,000 km/s     Power 24-4     RM 60,000 km    ROF 30       
CIWS-160 (10x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16,000 km/s     ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R256-TS8000 (50%) (2)     Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 8,000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R28-PB30 (2)     Total Power Output 56.2    Exp 15%

Active Search Sensor AS32-R20 (50%) (1)     GPS 840     Range 32.9m km    Resolution 20
ELINT Module (2)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  27.4m km

ECCM-2 (2)         ECM 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Warship for auto-assignment purposes

The anomaly is in the class mass (40,090 tons) vs. the jump drive capability (Max Ship Size 40000 tons).
If this was true at the first jump point, the fleet couldn't even enter it. Instead the ships did 3 jumps, before this message.
How is it possible?

P.S.
In the system where my battle fleet should arrive after the last jump, there could be a fleet of an unknown alien race that destroyed one my survey ship few days ago. My fleet is going there to rescue the lifepods, and attack the enemy ships.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 08:10:43 PM by paolot »