Author Topic: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 62420 times)

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 11:34:27 PM »
Ooooh these QoL improvements look awesome!

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 06:22:12 AM »
I absolutely love these GC changes, really fantastic QoL stuff, I have a big smile right now!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 07:11:42 AM »
For v2.2, the output of all GFCC will be combined into a single construction rate, similar to the mechanics of industrial projects.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »
Steve you are absolutely killing it with these awesome QOL changes.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 07:53:40 AM »
Having GFCC work like factories is probably for the best, but one thing I liked about the fixed construction rate of GFCC was that it more or less acted as if the training process of the actual soldiers was something that happens at a fixed rate and that can't be accelerated by additional complexes, which made sense. Someone isn't gonna become a soldier/tank driver faster by having multiple schools.

My dream scenario would be if the soldier training process was split off to a separate building that had a fixed training rate, maybe functioning similar to how academies continuously produce crew for space ships. GFCC would then in spirit only produce the equipment and vehicles and, once they've finished constructing a formation, they would draw their soldiers from your soldier pool, similar to how constructed ships draw from the crew pool.
Actually, maybe this function could just be added to the existing academy building. Right now academies have a setting that let's us change the quantity vs quality of the produced personell, maybe they should in addition have a setting that let's us choose how much space crew vs how much ground soldiers they produce.
(For the question of what should happen if you don't have enough soldiers in your pool and build a formation, maybe the easiest would be to have the formation stuck at 100% in the construction screen until enough soldiers had accumulated for it to be completed. Instead of having a conscript modifier like with space ships.)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 09:22:15 AM »
Having GFCC work like factories is probably for the best, but one thing I liked about the fixed construction rate of GFCC was that it more or less acted as if the training process of the actual soldiers was something that happens at a fixed rate and that can't be accelerated by additional complexes, which made sense. Someone isn't gonna become a soldier/tank driver faster by having multiple schools.

The issues that you could get around that quite easily by breaking a unit into several parts, building them all simultaneously and converting at the end. It just involved micromanagement.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
Welp. Putting off my next game to 2.2 to take advantage of the great QoL changes for groundforces.

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 09:52:32 AM »

The issues that you could get around that quite easily by breaking a unit into several parts, building them all simultaneously and converting at the end. It just involved micromanagement.
Yeah, that's true, but still you probably had a reason why you originally set up GFCC to be different from factories, right? Was it because you considered the process of training soldiers or was it a different reason?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »

Yeah, that's true, but still you probably had a reason why you originally set up GFCC to be different from factories, right? Was it because you considered the process of training soldiers or was it a different reason?

I had a shipyard-style operation in mind. However, the mechanics worked against anyone building larger formations, because it would be several years before they could use them. It doesn't really make logical sense that building a 2000 man regiment would take four times as long as simultaneously building four 500-man battalions. Now both options require the same time and same effort.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:04:43 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, papent, bankshot, StarshipCactus, LiquidGold2

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 03:55:07 PM »
Throwing my hat in as well to say these changes are awesome Steve.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 06:18:49 PM »

My dream scenario would be if the soldier training process was split off to a separate building that had a fixed training rate, maybe functioning similar to how academies continuously produce crew for space ships. GFCC would then in spirit only produce the equipment and vehicles and, once they've finished constructing a formation, they would draw their soldiers from your soldier pool, similar to how constructed ships draw from the crew pool.
Actually, maybe this function could just be added to the existing academy building. Right now academies have a setting that let's us change the quantity vs quality of the produced personell, maybe they should in addition have a setting that let's us choose how much space crew vs how much ground soldiers they produce.
(For the question of what should happen if you don't have enough soldiers in your pool and build a formation, maybe the easiest would be to have the formation stuck at 100% in the construction screen until enough soldiers had accumulated for it to be completed. Instead of having a conscript modifier like with space ships.)

I like your idea of having academies produce ground soldiers at a fixed rate with the quality vs quantity slider and a conscripted negative modifier for when you don't have enough trained prsnl for your GF units. After all many societies have rushed untrained troops to the front in crisis situations.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 07:01:36 PM »
PRAISE THE ORGANIZATION TAB, ALL TREMBLE BEFORE YOUR GOD STEVE

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 07:23:00 PM »
Hot damn, it's finally here!

Now, if we could import & export units, formations, and organizations, the dream of creating fully accurate real world OOBs and using them in multiple games is possible!

The following users thanked this post: Noble713, superstrijder15

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 08:43:10 PM »
Organization tab is an excellent addition. Loving the ground forces updates for 2.2!

I would like to reiterate my previous comment about having the formation update function use existing units in a Series if they were developed with the racial max attack and armor. Again, this would let the mechanic support players who prefer to research the ground units rather than have them gifted freely - personally I would use this for most units and then take the free HQs as the RP cost for those is quite high for what they represent in capabilities.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 08:45:11 PM »
Oh my god its happening. The only way this can get better is if CAS rework hits.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, StarshipCactus, Mayne, ranger044