Author Topic: Panic on low training in combat  (Read 1657 times)

Offline shadowpho (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Panic on low training in combat
« on: October 01, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
Currently training/grade does not do much if you use missiles.  It would be nice if the effects of low grade/training were increased.  An easy and awesome way to do that is to add panic system.  Crew gets scared when they take damage, or see friendly spacheships explode.   This is mitigated by crew training, crew grade and commanders.  Too much panic = random effect (ship tries to flee towards nearest jump point and away from biggest enemy ship, or ship shuts down engine or ship takes random internal damage)

Then their morale resets when they get their crew leave.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, serger, Warer

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
Re: Panic on low training in combat
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 07:26:28 PM »
It could be cool but waiting for crew leave is a bad idea. Imaging this happening to a ship 3 moth away for your colonies i think it is safe to say that 2 moth after the combat is over the crew had some time to calm down.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 09:13:31 PM »
Currently training/grade does not do much if you use missiles.

If my observations have been correct, it does impact the missile %chance-to-hit which is actually pretty useful.

It would be nice if the effects of low grade/training were increased.

Agreed. I miss the delayed reaction time for fleet orders from VB6, and conversely I feel like 100% crews are too efficient and make the training mechanic feel lame. I'd like to see fully-trained crews be better rather than perfect.

An easy and awesome way to do that is to add panic system.  Crew gets scared when they take damage, or see friendly spacheships explode.   This is mitigated by crew training, crew grade and commanders.  Too much panic = random effect (ship tries to flee towards nearest jump point and away from biggest enemy ship, or ship shuts down engine or ship takes random internal damage)

Here I strongly disagree. Uncontrollable random effects are not fun to deal with as a player in Aurora. Maybe in some other games but it does not suit the scale and design philosophy here.

Offline mikew

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
The effect of damage or destruction of other ships is going to have very little immediate impact on a ship's crew, if only because the vast majority of the crew is going to be completely ignorant as to what is going on with the rest of the fleet.  Heck, most of them will have little idea as to what is happening on THEIR ship outside of their immediate surroundings.  They're going to be very busy doing their jobs, not watching the equivalent of a general news broadcast about the state of the battle.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 11:16:25 AM »

I'd like to see fully-trained crews be better rather than perfect.

Are we getting soft with our officers, nuclear?

It may be the festive season...

;)

Offline jatzi

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 04:24:23 PM »
Quote from: mikew link=topic=13127. msg163418#msg163418 date=1671724312
The effect of damage or destruction of other ships is going to have very little immediate impact on a ship's crew, if only because the vast majority of the crew is going to be completely ignorant as to what is going on with the rest of the fleet.   Heck, most of them will have little idea as to what is happening on THEIR ship outside of their immediate surroundings.   They're going to be very busy doing their jobs, not watching the equivalent of a general news broadcast about the state of the battle.

I'm necroing this but I like the idea personally.  There could be a similar green/trained/veteran mechanic for officers and that could be where it happens.  I could see issues with it though but I do think crew training in C# became kinda irrelevant unless the ship literally gets put into combat straight out of the shipyard.  With the ability to nest your admin commands it's really easy to get a fleet trained up in like 6 months just by having them sit in a naval admin nested under other naval or general admins with crew training officers in them.  You don't even need to use the training admin commands

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
Modern Naval history is of course dominated by the crews of ships panicking and refusing to fight , Notablly
Taffy 3
HMS Gloworm
Scharnhorst (both of them)
Tirpitz
The 1st Scouting Squadron
Yamato

I can list many more examples where crews facing heavy fire and disastrous odds panicked and collapsed rendering them useless.