Author Topic: Displacement tech for plasma carronades  (Read 962 times)

Offline kilo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Displacement tech for plasma carronades
« on: February 19, 2023, 04:31:58 AM »
Hi,

I have a stupid idea regarding plasma carronade techs. With update 2.2, particle beams will all have the same displacement, allowing weapon upgrades for smaller ships without increasing the ships displacement or cutting down on the number of barrels. Something similar would make carronades a lot more interesting and competitive. I would not suggest a 300 ton limit but a research path that allows for a displacement reduction. It could look like this:

Tech level:   1          2             ....
reduction:    -0%     -10%       ....

Going all the way down to -60%. This would make these weapons interesting for fighters and facs as well. What are your ideas?

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Serina

• Leading Rate
  • S
Re: Displacement tech for plasma carronades
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
It seems silly and fun enough to actually work, and might even make Cannonades a highly viable weapon for short range close in "Bomber" fighters or LAC's.

It would allow for more to be fitted in a smaller space, and whilst the range is kept short, the devastating barrages one can perform with it might bring it back from it's current graveyard status. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »
I've suggested before moving the reduced size feature from lasers to plasmas, if nothing else it would make fighter-scale "plasma bombers" feasible and we can all agree that this sounds hilarious and I want to do it in a game.

The following users thanked this post: Gyrfalcon, El Pip, Mayne, Snoman314, lumporr

Offline Serina

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 05:31:46 PM »
Alternatively, if there's a desire to make cannonades more unique, there could be a tech, plasma cohesion, that changes the damage profile more towards being straight punching then, what I presume now, is more like the railgun/missile. 

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 10:19:14 AM »
There could be separate research line that produce a 150t carronade from each level, like with ECM modules.

This carronade would just be a smaller calibre carronade, slightly less capable per ton than the larger one. This can be added to fighters and used as plasma torpedo bombers.

You can even mod this into the game yourself if you like, would be quite easy to do by editing the database.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:21:05 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline kilo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 11:16:40 AM »
There could be separate research line that produce a 150t carronade from each level, like with ECM modules.

This carronade would just be a smaller calibre carronade, slightly less capable per ton than the larger one. This can be added to fighters and used as plasma torpedo bombers.

You can even mod this into the game yourself if you like, would be quite easy to do by editing the database.

At a first glance, I disliked the idea. But I gave it some thought and I would suggest a new damage profile for such a lightweight carronade. At the moment, all weapons have a damage profile with a gradient of either 1, 2 or 3. A higher gradient improves the penetration of this weapon against enemy armor. A lightweight carronade could have a gradient of 0.5 or even worse. It does not need to be less capable in this case.

PS: I think I will be unable to add this to the DB. My background knowledge is pretty limited.