Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361455 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #705 on: November 26, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
Answered already before - technically they can if they are under attack by other ground forces but it is a waste of commanders.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #706 on: November 26, 2020, 11:22:43 PM »
Answered already before - technically they can if they are under attack by other ground forces but it is a waste of commanders.

Sorry right, I forgot. There was an artillery modifier that could have been used though.

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #707 on: November 26, 2020, 11:49:48 PM »
Aaah ok, because I had two doing this. But in essence, a LCDR even with a command have 20% chance to retire at 31 (initial age of 21 + 10 years of service), seems a lot for someone commanding  a ship.

Unrelated, if a ground unit has no HQ, there is no point in assigning a leader, right?

And can STO with a HQ benefits from a leader? There is no bonus relevant to them it seems.
Relevant bonus for STO commanders is Tactical.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #708 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
I don't understand what these researches correspond to? Is it tied somehow (but oddly) to the fact a first CMC has been established by the civilian sector?

Because ...

1. I already knew these researches
2. I have no additional ground unit types available
3. I have no free lab and was not researching them in any cases

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #709 on: November 28, 2020, 10:40:17 AM »
I don't understand what these researches correspond to? Is it tied somehow (but oddly) to the fact a first CMC has been established by the civilian sector?

Because ...

1. I already knew these researches
2. I have no additional ground unit types available
3. I have no free lab and was not researching them in any cases

You are correct that this is related to your very first CMC. Civilians will garrison their own CMCs with a ground force so the game will auto generate them unit designs so that they can form formations.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #710 on: November 29, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »
Thanks.
How do you detach several ships at once from a fleet? The only method I know is to detach one, and then drag&drop each, one  at a time. Multiselect does not work.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #711 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
Multiselect works in the fleet window. Shift or control click ships in the table, not the tree!

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #712 on: November 29, 2020, 10:55:36 AM »
Can mass drivers send packets to destinations in another system through a stabilized jump point? Based upon experimentation, I'm assuming no. Just looking for confirmation.

Thanks.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #713 on: November 29, 2020, 11:24:09 AM »
Can mass drivers send packets to destinations in another system through a stabilized jump point? Based upon experimentation, I'm assuming no. Just looking for confirmation.

Thanks.

No you need to use freighters in order to move minerals through jump points

Offline Ostar

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #714 on: November 29, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Instant Research Points while starting a New Game - do the NPRs get this as well, or just the Player Race(s)?
Feels like a cheat if just for the player.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #715 on: November 29, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »
Instant Research Points while starting a New Game - do the NPRs get this as well, or just the Player Race(s)?

NPRs get these too. They are intended to let you build your starting navy and ground forces as well as any other key techs you might want, since the essence of the game is designing and building your own forces it wouldn't make sense to just give you a fixed starting force every time.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #716 on: November 29, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
What's more, there is a minimum budget under which a NPR won't go. Not very clear sentence I know. What I mean is that they will spend in any case at least around 20k to 30k points, even if you gave yourself (and others) 5k.

My stoopid question of the (too early) day for me: do commercial ships cost anything in upkeep: MSP no, wealth?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #717 on: November 29, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »
What's more, there is a minimum budget under which a NPR won't go. Not very clear sentence I know. What I mean is that they will spend in any case at least around 20k to 30k points, even if you gave yourself (and others) 5k.

NPRs actually have a minimum of 100K starting RP, as the AI cannot work with fewer than this. For contrast, the player starts with 80k by default at 500m starting population.

My stoopid question of the (too early) day for me: do commercial ships cost anything in upkeep: MSP no, wealth?

Nope. The only reason not to keep a commercial ship around forever is if the components get too obsolete to be any use - which mostly means engines as you can get better fuel efficiency with better tech (speed is unimportant, usually). Even then, you can usually just refit it every couple of generations. Keeping it around doing nothing costs you nothing, not even crew if you use conscripts which you almost always should for commercial ships.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #718 on: November 30, 2020, 12:48:09 AM »

NPRs actually have a minimum of 100K starting RP, as the AI cannot work with fewer than this. For contrast, the player starts with 80k by default at 500m starting population.

Nope. The only reason not to keep a commercial ship around forever is if the components get too obsolete to be any use - which mostly means engines as you can get better fuel efficiency with better tech (speed is unimportant, usually). Even then, you can usually just refit it every couple of generations. Keeping it around doing nothing costs you nothing, not even crew if you use conscripts which you almost always should for commercial ships.

Thanks for the answer on commercial ships.

Actually what you cite is for a start at 500 M. If you go to the minimum, it goes down where you can start as a player with 4K in research points and ships, no more. But if you look at the DB, you see the NPRs are in the hole between -20k and -30k.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #719 on: November 30, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »

If you want to research everything from scratch, try a conventional start. It is more of a challenge though as the NPRs all start normally.