Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361556 times)

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #825 on: December 11, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »
ahhh, I misunderstood or confused the buttons then. I thought that was for copying a ships setup to others in the fleet. Thank you very much!!

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #826 on: December 11, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
There's a different set of buttons to do that..

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #827 on: December 11, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »
How do you set the task group speed? I have a fleet with a top speed of 7000 km/s and would like to let them run @ 4000

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #828 on: December 11, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »
How do you set the task group speed? I have a fleet with a top speed of 7000 km/s and would like to let them run @ 4000
There is a set speed button on the naval organization window. However, on the orders screen you need to uncheck "use max speed" or they'll just immediately go back to full speed.

Online vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #829 on: December 11, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
I'm noticing that my ships can't get past 22% grade for their crew, whatever the capability of the commander?

22% is max crew grade in C#.

Is there a way to mass change the missile type in a stack of launchers? I thought I recalled doing it before but I couldn't figure it out last night. Ended up doing it one launcher at a time for 20 launchers. Had to change the name of one of the missiles because it was too similar to the one I wanted to replace and my eyes started getting blurry trying to make sure I was clicking correctly.  New naming convention for missiles implemented lol

The assign all checkbox in the upper right corner works for assigning missiles to launchers (under a given fire control), as well as for assigning weapons to a fire control.

Ok for this 22%, but is it from training or you can get past that in combat? And what 22% means in fact?  ;D

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #830 on: December 11, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
Ok for this 22%, but is it from training or you can get past that in combat? And what 22% means in fact?  ;D

It is from training, and will accumulate slowly over time even if your ship is not actively under a training admin command. The 22% means that your crew will perform certain tasks better - specifically it affects beam weapon to-hit chance, missile reload rate, and rate of maintenance failures. The crew training bonus of your commander (at 50% effectiveness) and executive officer, if any (100% effective) help you gain this faster.

(Incidentally, the reason it maxes out at 22% is because the formula is SQRT(crew_grade) - 10, and crew grade can vary from 0 to 1000 points.)

There is a separate Fleet Training modifier which is maximum at 100%. This affects how quickly a ship will respond to orders, most importantly orders to open fire or change targets. This is the training modifier that fleet training (for ships under a TRN admin command) improves, although I believe it will slowly improve on its own regardless (not sure though).

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #831 on: December 11, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
I've got an overcrowding situation on orbital habitats and I am unable to set them as a source of colonists or as stable. There is only the destination option. Do I have to remove population manually?

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #832 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:19 AM »
I've got an overcrowding situation on orbital habitats and I am unable to set them as a source of colonists or as stable. There is only the destination option. Do I have to remove population manually?

I think the issue is that civilians put colonists on the surface of the planet and had not supplied enough infrastructure. I don't think the overcrowding was from the habs.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #833 on: December 12, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
Backstory:

I found the starting NPR a few jumps away and we are not in a full blown war but something like a cold war at least. At the moment both sides do not posses the logistical capabilities to field a fleet that far from home, which is why I intend to do some reconnaissance and raiding operations using small lightly armed craft with high endurance.
Now I was thinking to build an ELINT station via construction factories and tractor it into enemy space or fly it in in a hangar. The goal would be to monitor the planets and gain information about hostile long range sensors by anchoring a station in the middle of nowhere far away from the inner planets and the jump points.
The problem is that ELINT is completely new to me.

Questions regarding ELINT:
1. Can I couple the ELINT module with other passive sensors (EM and or thermal)?
1a. If the answer is yes, what is the point in improving ELINT tech?
1b. If the answer is no, how do you keep you ELINT installations alive in very hostile environment?
2. What information can ELINT give you? I will do it for role play reasons anyway.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #834 on: December 12, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »
Backstory:

I found the starting NPR a few jumps away and we are not in a full blown war but something like a cold war at least. At the moment both sides do not posses the logistical capabilities to field a fleet that far from home, which is why I intend to do some reconnaissance and raiding operations using small lightly armed craft with high endurance.
Now I was thinking to build an ELINT station via construction factories and tractor it into enemy space or fly it in in a hangar. The goal would be to monitor the planets and gain information about hostile long range sensors by anchoring a station in the middle of nowhere far away from the inner planets and the jump points.

1. Can I couple the ELINT module with other passive sensors (EM and or thermal)?
1b. If the answer is no, how do you keep you ELINT installations alive in very hostile environment?
2. What information can ELINT give you? I will do it for role play reasons anyway.

1 - yes
1a - the rate at which intel points are gained increases with tech and no. of ELINT sensors
2 - As points accumulate information about NPR populations are revealed:
  • Species present
  • Population size
  • Total number of installations
  • Present types of installations
  • Technology (might even steal some)
     And possibly more

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #835 on: December 12, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »

The ELINT module has it's own built-in passive EM sensors, and counts as a size-1 EM sensor. Putting multiple modules on the same ship gives you a sensor with a longer range. Gathering the intel takes a fairly long time, so I think you're better off making multiple small stealthy ships that can shadow targets rather than a single large station. If you're monitoring ships you gain information about their active sensors, if any. If you're monitoring populations then you can gain information about the installations at that population.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #836 on: December 12, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »
Backstory:

1 - yes
1a - the rate at which intel points are gained increases with tech and no. of ELINT sensors
  • Species present
  • Population size
     And possibly more

Intel point accumulation should NOT be increasing with tech and number of sensors. Tech and # of sensors are only supposed increase the range at which you can gather intel:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109678#msg109678

Similarly, having multiple intel ships monitoring a single population will not increase the rate at which intel is gathered on that population. You can however gain intel from multiple populations using a single ship.

Finally, tracking multiple instances of the same sensor doesn't speed up intel gathering.

So in summary: for a given intelligence target, it doesn't matter how many times you are tracking it, the rate of gain is fixed. But for a given intelligence gatherer, you can track as many targets as you want.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #837 on: December 12, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »
Backstory:

1 - yes
  • Species present
  • Population size
     And possibly more

Intel point accumulation should NOT be increasing with tech and number of sensors. Tech and # of sensors are only supposed increase the range at which you can gather intel:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109678#msg109678

Similarly, having multiple intel ships monitoring a single population will not increase the rate at which intel is gathered on that population. You can however gain intel from multiple populations using a single ship.

Finally, tracking multiple instances of the same sensor doesn't speed up intel gathering.

So in summary: for a given intelligence target, it doesn't matter how many times you are tracking it, the rate of gain is fixed. But for a given intelligence gatherer, you can track as many targets as you want.

So does a 1000 ton EM passive increase the area of coverage from which I get intel? If yes, what is the point of further research? If no, how do you keep it alive?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #838 on: December 12, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
So does a 1000 ton EM passive increase the area of coverage from which I get intel? If yes, what is the point of further research? If no, how do you keep it alive?
A default EM sensor will not help you get more intel. If you have 1k strength of ELINT sensors, yes it would increase the area. The point of future research is making more compact powerful ELINT sensors. Large ELINT ships will be detected easily at range, and a small ELINT ship will be detected also if the ELINT does not have enough range.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:47:32 PM by Lord Solar »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #839 on: December 12, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

As I said, active and passive sensor components do not aid your your ELINT modules at all. Adding more ELINT modules is the only way to increase the range at which you can gather intel. Naturally you want a small ship that is quiet enough not to attract attention, while having enough ELINT modules that it can stay further from the target it is shadowing. All while not knowing for sure how many tracking stations the NPR has, where they are, or how much space they have dedicated to passive sensors.

There was a post recently where someone figured out that at equal tech levels, a size 5.1 passive EM sensor will detect any active sensor from further away than the active sensor can detect the ship with the passive sensor. Thus, I suppose you need 6 ELINT modules of the same tech level to achieve the same thing. That will let you get close enough to scope out their active sensors without being noticed, but probably not close enough to spy on their populations.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:58:28 PM by db48x »