Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361593 times)

Offline mostly_harmless

• Petty Officer
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1050 on: January 08, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
Hi,

Diplomacy or Communications commander for a diplomacy ship to get the first contact in?
I am getting "unintelligible communication" from my neutral neighbours since years.

Thanks
Thomas

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1051 on: January 08, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
Communications skill will affect deciphering the language, Diplomacy skill will affect relations once communications are established. I believe both skills require the ship to have a diplomacy module to be effective.

The following users thanked this post: mostly_harmless

Offline DavidFRS

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #1052 on: January 08, 2021, 05:05:19 PM »
There are always 7 fixed ranks. Only thing you can do is rename them and promote/demote people between them.

You can also add ranks. But it will only add to the top.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1053 on: January 09, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
There are always 7 fixed ranks. Only thing you can do is rename them and promote/demote people between them.

You can also add ranks. But it will only add to the top.
You COULD add one to the top, then rename the one which is above the place you need the rank, then perpetuate the renaming upwards so that you end up with the ranks you had previously, but with a new one in the middle. It will make the highest rank difficult to populate though.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1054 on: January 09, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
Do any officer skills effect cloaking or detection?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 12:34:26 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1055 on: January 09, 2021, 12:52:45 PM »
Do any officer skills effect cloaking or detection?

No

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1056 on: January 09, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »
How do you create a colony for a different species? I captured colony ships and have several hundred k people and know their preferred climate conditions. The problem is I cannot create a colony for this species. In VB6 you could choose a species and create a colony for them. It will always create a human colony and I cannot switch to 'Yentis' species in the system view. Maybe this requires owning a planet with such a species before.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1057 on: January 09, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »
How do you create a colony for a different species? I captured colony ships and have several hundred k people and know their preferred climate conditions. The problem is I cannot create a colony for this species. In VB6 you could choose a species and create a colony for them. It will always create a human colony and I cannot switch to 'Yentis' species in the system view. Maybe this requires owning a planet with such a species before.

All options related to species including but not limited to: handle them, create, and research are currently not implemeted.

EDIT: Apparently there is a workaround to make this work, read below.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:41:59 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1058 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »

All options related to species including but not limited to: handle them, create, and research are currently not implemeted.

So I cannot create a colony with the species or I have to drop them on a planet and add infrastructure later?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1059 on: January 09, 2021, 02:35:10 PM »

If you read carefully he isn't actually talking about gene modding a new species. Aurora does actually currently support multi-species empires (I know this because my empire has 2-species thanks to a formerly NPR homeworld population) and I can actually select which species I want to create a colony for in the system view.

As for kilo here, pick whatever planet you want to colonize with these aliens and just order the transport to unload them onto the surface. I think the game should automatically create a new colony on the same body with the new species (if it doesn't you should make a bug report), after which point you can use the system view to designate colonies for that species.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:38:00 PM by Droll »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1060 on: January 09, 2021, 02:37:16 PM »

So I cannot create a colony with the species or I have to drop them on a planet and add infrastructure later?

He's wrong, read my reply above this - for the infrastructure I recommend you use SM. Unload your infrastructure on the "human" version of the colony and use SM to simulate a transfer of that infrastructure. On the "civilian economy" tab you can delete and add new installations using SM mode, including infrastructure.

Again this inconvenience should only happen once, after which you can just use the system view to select them (though it doesn't immediately update when you do this so flip between another system and back).

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1061 on: January 09, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »

He's wrong, read my reply above this - for the infrastructure I recommend you use SM. Unload your infrastructure on the "human" version of the colony and use SM to simulate a transfer of that infrastructure. On the "civilian economy" tab you can delete and add new installations using SM mode, including infrastructure.

Again this inconvenience should only happen once, after which you can just use the system view to select them (though it doesn't immediately update when you do this so flip between another system and back).

Oh I did not know that, so you need to kind of force the first time for the option to appear?

I remember having the same issue and gave up as it was too hard all the time to check the actual requirements on the system view "by hand".

So you can confirm the system view gets updated as well?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1062 on: January 09, 2021, 02:48:02 PM »
So you can confirm the system view gets updated as well?

Yes the system view also updates but you need to either close and re-open the system view or just change the view to another system and back.
But overall, once you get a colony with a population that has that alien species your empire is officially multi-species.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #1063 on: January 09, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »
Is there a way to prevent survey ships with the "Move to system requiring Geosurvey" standing order to not go into NPR/alien controlled territory?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1064 on: January 09, 2021, 06:23:44 PM »
Mark the system as alien-controlled in the Galactic Map window, then in the fleet movement orders click the checkbox to avoid alien-controlled systems.