Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361598 times)

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1185 on: January 19, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »
I usually use very large tugs (300k+) by early mid-game. But my early Tugs are Tug/Tanker combos. I make them smaller but still way overbuild the engines so 'small' ends up being ~80,000t. But this includes ~20M fuel + refueling and just under 3500 speed at Ion for  fast Fleet Tankers when needed. Since Tugs are hauling around a lot of fuel anyway... When the Big Tugs start rolling out, they move into purely Fleet Tanker + rescue/recovery tractor beam.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1186 on: January 19, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »
What kind of ground forces would you use to fight about 30k infantry with improved personal weapons and 400 medium tanks with 2x medium anti vehicle guns + some minor units on a rift valley world? Asking for a friend.

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1187 on: January 19, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
What kind of ground forces would you use to fight about 30k infantry with improved personal weapons and 400 medium tanks with 2x medium anti vehicle guns + some minor units on a rift valley world? Asking for a friend.

Often the best way to clear out those kind of things is Super heavies with triple CSAP.

Online Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1188 on: January 19, 2021, 03:37:59 PM »
Medium AV? Do you have heavier vehicles that can tank that? I hear people put both CAP/HCAP and an AV on their tanks.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1189 on: January 19, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »

Often the best way to clear out those kind of things is Super heavies with triple CSAP.

Yeah, I guessed that. I do not have super heavies right now and might bring heavies instead. Is orbital support worth it? I could bring a 10x 10cm + 4 x 25 cm raingun cruiser?
And how much supply do you really need? I seem to bring too much.

Medium AV? Do you have heavier vehicles that can tank that? I hear people put both CAP/HCAP and an AV on their tanks.

Right now I landed lightly armored infantry with regular rifles and medium tanks cap + medium anti vehicles. The infantry was just used to fill up the free transport capacity and appears to be cannon fodder. The mediums have at least 1 tech level more armor than the enemy has pen. This makes them somehow survivable. Heavies are in the making.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:43:12 PM by kilo »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1190 on: January 19, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »
How do civilians design their ships?

Can they only use components you've designed or can they make their own?

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1191 on: January 19, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »

They have scripted components based on your technology level. I am pretty sure you can look at their engine tech for instance when you go to the technology tab and switch on civilian components.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:51:56 PM by kilo »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1192 on: January 19, 2021, 03:55:09 PM »

They design ships based on your researched technology but they use their own template designs and their own components.

There is sort of a flaw in how this work... you should be careful of researching low powered engines and the reasons are two fold. The civilians use the lowest setting and they never pay fuel anyway, this means their ship become very slow and thus deliver less goods per tonnage. The other issue is that the ships become a bit cheaper so they build more of them, even if this to some degree offset them being slower the issue is eventually game performance instead. If you keep to the higher low power research then you get less but more efficient civilian ships which is a win/win situation.

If you still want to use the lower engine settings you can still research them but then removing them with SM and only add them as you design something and the afterwards remove them again and thus you will get less performance decrease from civilian ships as the game goes on. I don't see this as cheating but more as a quality of life type of thing. I usually allow the civilians to build their ships at either 0.4 or 0.3 engine efficiency.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1193 on: January 19, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
Yeah, I guessed that. I do not have super heavies right now and might bring heavies instead. Is orbital support worth it? I could bring a 10x 10cm + 4 x 25 cm raingun cruiser?

Right now I landed lightly armored infantry with regular rifles and medium tanks cap + medium anti vehicles. The infantry was just used to fill up the free transport capacity and appears to be cannon fodder. The mediums have at least 1 tech level more armor than the enemy has pen. This makes them somehow survivable. Heavies are in the making.

Orbital support can work okay, but struggles with heavily fortified units and will kick up a lot of dust that will crash the planet's habitability.

Power armor infantry can be fairly effective against CAP especially with HP upgrades and can be massed so that AV weapons are limited in effectiveness (they kill too slow). You can land a couple 100k of those to deal with the enemy infantry, then land some anti-tank units to clear out the armor. This might actually be a good situation for mechanized infantry (PA infantry + LVH with medium weapons) due to high evasion stat and relatively low cost.

Or just land a platoon of UHV + 4xHAC and come back in a week with a cleaning crew.  ;D

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1194 on: January 19, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »

Orbital support can work okay, but struggles with heavily fortified units and will kick up a lot of dust that will crash the planet's habitability.

Power armor infantry can be fairly effective against CAP especially with HP upgrades and can be massed so that AV weapons are limited in effectiveness (they kill too slow). You can land a couple 100k of those to deal with the enemy infantry, then land some anti-tank units to clear out the armor. This might actually be a good situation for mechanized infantry (PA infantry + LVH with medium weapons) due to high evasion stat and relatively low cost.

Or just land a platoon of UHV + 4xHAC and come back in a week with a cleaning crew.  ;D

I think that it is Orbital Bombardment that produce dust on planets, Orbital Support is more like surgical strikes directed by ground units.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1195 on: January 19, 2021, 04:29:30 PM »
I think that it is Orbital Bombardment that produce dust on planets, Orbital Support is more like surgical strikes directed by ground units.

I might be mixing it up with the collateral damage mechanic then

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #1196 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »
Personally I start my tugs at 40k tons. You can easily put a tractor beam, some fuel, and 30+ ktons of engines on them and they will still tug a 120k ton station around at a decent clip.

I usually aim for 50k ton tugs.  Max size engines as many as fit with the beam and some gas.  I agree with you nuke.  It's fine at moving them fast enough

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #1197 on: January 19, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
Personally I start my tugs at 40k tons. You can easily put a tractor beam, some fuel, and 30+ ktons of engines on them and they will still tug a 120k ton station around at a decent clip.

I usually aim for 50k ton tugs.  Max size engines as many as fit with the beam and some gas.  I agree with you nuke.  It's fine at moving them fast enough

I usually add a single orbital habitat module (~500k tons) to each tug during design phase, then add engines until I get reasonable range/speed, and then remove the orbital habitat before finalizing the design. This gives me some idea as to the performance of the tug when towing a 500ish kton station.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #1198 on: January 19, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
Suppose I were to design a ship with a BFC with range less than 10000 km. If I set that BFC to final defensive fire, does that BFC use it's 10k km accuracy rating or does it use it's 0k km accuracy rating? Is there any reason to use a BFC with range less than 10000 km?
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1199 on: January 19, 2021, 06:08:58 PM »
Suppose I were to design a ship with a BFC with range less than 10000 km. If I set that BFC to final defensive fire, does that BFC use it's 10k km accuracy rating or does it use it's 0k km accuracy rating?

Since final fire takes place at 10k km it should use the 10k km accuracy of the BFC. Otherwise this would be a trivial hack to get perfect BFC accuracy at extremely small sizes.

Is there any reason to use a BFC with range less than 10000 km?

You could use e.g. plasma fighters and have them open fire at point-blank (basically 0 km) range. In that case you don't need any real range on your BFC and could save space in any scenario where that would help for some reason. If space doesn't need to be saved you'd usually want a tad more range though if only for the flexibility of actually being able to shoot things more than 1 km away.