Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361441 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1290 on: January 29, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
No weapon is more badass except possibly turreted lasers for that old-timey big-gun battleship feel.

I have a soft spot for frakk off huge spinal lasers, personally. WAVE MOTION GUN!

For a weapon you (are supposed to be able to) only build one of, I really expect something bigger.

For something you can put three dozen of on your 100,000 ton party cruiser, particle lances are the way to go.  8)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1291 on: January 30, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
Question about CMC logic:

According to Steve's rules post:
Once all suitable locations are determined, each location is given a score based on the total amount of minerals with accessibility of 0.5 or higher. Duranium scores double. The new mining complex is created at the location with the highest score.

I've been tracking CMC founding in my spreadsheets and this rule does not seem to be followed very well. However, it seems that a rule based on summing the total accessibility of all the minerals agrees with what I see in-game. Note that I am correcting for the fact that gallicite is weighted as duranium based on Steve's post here.

Can I get some confirmation of this if anyone happens to have any knowledge or data on this?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1292 on: January 31, 2021, 04:57:43 AM »
I've also observed that a CMC on another body (more accessibility?) gets founded before one on a body with more minerals total.

And I've had one small faction just outright never get any CMCs in all 100 years of my game, whereas slightly larger ones had no problems.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #1293 on: January 31, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »
When designing an STO with a turret, I noticed that the tracking speed was just my racial tracking speed instead of what the turret is capable of. Is that WAI? Is it possible to make an STO with better tracking?

Offline Theoatmeal2

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #1294 on: January 31, 2021, 10:43:25 AM »
I want to ally myself with another race, problem is they are at war with an unknown race. I`m friendly with nearly every civilization I`ve encountered so far.
Is there a way to know before I check the allied box?

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #1295 on: January 31, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
When designing an STO with a turret, I noticed that the tracking speed was just my racial tracking speed instead of what the turret is capable of. Is that WAI? Is it possible to make an STO with better tracking?

If you tell it that it is a point defense weapon it will be 4x racial tracking speed.

That said, that's only the fire control.  If the turret is slower than the fire control it will still only track at turret speed.

When designing the sto look ok the right side, mid way down.  You should have two check boxes.  Include eccm and point defense

The following users thanked this post: Zeebie

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1296 on: January 31, 2021, 12:40:25 PM »
So is it best to only build Active Sensors large enough to keep a lock on the enemy at the maximum range of your longest range weapon?

Seems people think that using it to actually search for stuff is asking for trouble and a job best left to passives. Only exception I can see is for Carriers with strike fighters without their own Actives to lock on to stuff.

EDIT:

Unrelated, but I just noticed you can change the 'training level' of academies to have more quality over quantity, but it only effects the number of Crewmen per year. Does this actually work? I hate training my ships.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:51:04 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1297 on: January 31, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »
So is it best to only build Active Sensors large enough to keep a lock on the enemy at the maximum range of your longest range weapon?

Seems people think that using it to actually search for stuff is asking for trouble and a job best left to passives. Only exception I can see is for Carriers with strike fighters without their own Actives to lock on to stuff.

It's perfectly fine to use active sensors to search for things beyond your maximum range. In a vacuum, this is a Good Thing™ because it gives you more battlefield intel, and while passive sensors are nice they do give you limited information and can be avoided or fooled by a few ways - for example, if an enemy ship stops moving or turns off its active sensors/shields you will struggle to pick it up on passives at long range.

Additionally, extra range on active sensors ensures you can target ships beneath or between your resolutions. For a sensor of a given design resolution, the range at which it can detect a smaller ship scales with size squared, i.e. R = R_0 * ( enemy_size / sensor_res ) ^ 2. 

The reason you don't just use actives for everything is that (1) it's not stealthy, if you flip on the active then you will probably be spotted, and (2) pinging with actives is essentially establishing a target lock, so any ship that detects your active signal is going to assume you have hostile intent and react accordingly. Additionally, the above-mentioned issue of enemy size means that passives are usually more efficient detectors than actives especially for spotting smaller ships if they have a thermal or EM signature.

EDIT:

Unrelated, but I just noticed you can change the 'training level' of academies to have more quality over quantity, but it only effects the number of Crewmen per year. Does this actually work? I hate training my ships.

It does work. It's not shown, but basically what happens is that you can train a certain total amount of crew grade points per year, which I think comes out to 1 million per academy per year. By default (setting '1') this comes out as 10,000 crewmen per year with 100 grade points each, equivalent to crew training score 0%. Using setting '5' for instance will turn out 2,000 crewmen per year with 500 grade points, equivalent to crew training score 12%. Note that the crew training score is CTS = SQRT( grade_points ) - 10 (which is why when you use conscript crews for your freighters you see a crew training score of -10%, because conscripts have zero grade points when recruited).

Because of this it is nearly always optimal to use the maximum setting (5) and always build your commercial ships with conscript crews as they do not need a crew training bonus for anything important. You will probably not be able to use up your entire crew pool unless you severely underbuild academies. It's a bit unfortunate that there is no depth to this mechanically, but it is useful as an RP tool and I think that's why it is in the game more so than to add any serious decision-making.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #1298 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
How do you "claim" a system as your territory?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1299 on: February 01, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »

If you have a system and don't want NPRs in it; you can set the protection status of the system in the galaxy view.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #1300 on: February 01, 2021, 05:20:08 PM »

If you have a system and don't want NPRs in it; you can set the protection status of the system in the galaxy view.

Where is that done in the galaxy map?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1301 on: February 01, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »

Where is that done in the galaxy map?

Miscellaneous tab, however there is another way to do this and you might prefer it because security settings on the galaxy map are for all NPRs.

On the intel screen got to the NPR you want gone and expand the dropdown that has their known systems - click on the system that you want to assign a security level to and select the appropriate option on the dropdown that appears near the center. This setting applies only to the NPR you had selected on the intel screen so you can tell neutrals to buzz of while letting allies go through.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1302 on: February 02, 2021, 05:03:53 AM »
Is there a way to exempt gouvernors from auto assignements? My designated sector gouvernor keeps getting reassigned to a CMC.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1303 on: February 02, 2021, 05:09:15 AM »
Is there a way to exempt gouvernors from auto assignements? My designated sector gouvernor keeps getting reassigned to a CMC.

This is unfortunately not possible in current version, but it will work for sector governors and academy administrators in next version.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1304 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:08 AM »
Oh well, then that Admin 6 guy shall spend his life on some rock if he likes that place so much. I just wish I could cut his salary. :D