Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361510 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1350 on: February 06, 2021, 04:55:58 PM »
Missile retargeting is currently bugged and does not work.  In VB6, missiles without an MFC lock would target whatever had the strongest signal.  Missiles with EM would hit the ship with the biggest EM signature, missiles with TH would hit the ship with the hottest engines, and missiles with active sensors would go for the biggest active sensor contact; typically that'd be the largest ship but cloaking could make it weird.

So since retargeting is bugged, are MIRV missile not possible since the sub-munition needs to acquire its own targets?

I think sub-munitions retain the targets of their parent, so your MIRV submunitions would all fly at the same ship after separation. I think.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1351 on: February 06, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »
If my fighters Active Sensors move out-of-range of their missiles but my Carrier's missiles are still in range, will the missiles still be guided towards their targets succesfully?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1352 on: February 07, 2021, 12:30:57 AM »
If my fighters Active Sensors move out-of-range of their missiles but my Carrier's missiles are still in range, will the missiles still be guided towards their targets succesfully?

You need both MFC and AS to be active and locked on the target.

AS makes the target active while MFC ensures the missile is going towards to it

Offline WA Lancer

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #1353 on: February 07, 2021, 01:21:11 AM »
What is the size of a base infantry unit, is it 1 man, 1 squad, 1 platoon?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1354 on: February 07, 2021, 02:47:25 AM »
What is the size of a base infantry unit, is it 1 man, 1 squad, 1 platoon?
Up to you, it's a roleplay-free entirely.

Offline WA Lancer

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #1355 on: February 07, 2021, 03:21:31 AM »
No, I mean how many people go in say a Base Unit Type of Infantry with Light personal Weapons.  They weigh 3 tons, is that 1 dude or like 30?

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #1356 on: February 07, 2021, 04:17:08 AM »
He understood you.

It's whatever you want it to be.  It's completely irrelevant to the mechanics of the game so you can decide for yourself if it's some small mech, or some droids, or a dude in an armor suit, or 10 guys with pistols in police uniforms.

As far as the combat mechanics go it doesn't matter.  Each unit has x armor, fires so many shots, with so much penetration, using so much supply. 

So use your imagination.

Maybe they're trained space slugs that shoot armor penetrating poison?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1357 on: February 07, 2021, 04:51:25 AM »
In addition, ton in Aurora is volume (displacement) unit, not weigh/mass as is, and that's displacement of metallic (liquid) hydrogen, so 1 Aurota ton it's smth like 13-14 cubic meters, IIRC. Way more then 1 human soldier with personal weapon might require, still smth like it might require with all necessary equipment and supplies for nearly indefinite service on any solid-surface celestial body.

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #1358 on: February 07, 2021, 05:03:06 AM »
Wait.
"We also assume that it has a density of 0.7 gm/cm^3" (https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/9569212/Silvera_Metallic.pdf)

So it must be ~1,42m^3, not 13 or 14m^3?
Then 3 Aurora tons - it's smth like 4 cubic meters - it's only a berth place for 1 human soldier.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1359 on: February 07, 2021, 06:35:37 AM »
Feeling particularly thick today  ??? - where is the fast OOB creation option in C#? Just starting to feel my way around my first C# game after changing from VB6.

Thanks!
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1360 on: February 07, 2021, 06:46:56 AM »
Feeling particularly thick today  ??? - where is the fast OOB creation option in C#? Just starting to feel my way around my first C# game after changing from VB6.

Thanks!
Nevermind, I found it on the Misc tab of the Class Window.
Note to self, check Wiki before posting question  :-[
Welchbloke

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #1361 on: February 07, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »
In addition, ton in Aurora is volume (displacement) unit, not weigh/mass as is, and that's displacement of metallic (liquid) hydrogen, so 1 Aurota ton it's smth like 13-14 cubic meters, IIRC. Way more then 1 human soldier with personal weapon might require, still smth like it might require with all necessary equipment and supplies for nearly indefinite service on any solid-surface celestial body.

Yea.  It could easily be a dude and all the gear and supplies he needs to be deployed.  Someone put a source in one of the stickied posts in ground combat pointing out that, the US Army I believe, estimated for every soldier sent overseas they'd need to ship like 4-5 tons of supplies and replacement gear to him. 

But, having served in combat twice, I don't consider it unreasonable that one dude is 3-6 tons (depending on how heavy gear you choose in game).  Ammo, replacement equipment, clothing, housing, etc.  Even though a lot of that stuff is shared among the group it still adds up and every soldier increases the amount you'll need for any deployment of serious length.  Just think if food.  How much will one athletic and active young man eat in just 1 month?

Offline Eternal Noob

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
  • Space is long and dark and empty
« Reply #1363 on: February 07, 2021, 12:44:24 PM »
Does anyone know if it's normal for your fleets to break down into subfleets and just sit at the jump point when they're given the "squadron transit by sub-fleet" order? Is it possible to just have them jump as groups under one overall fleet or am I going to have to just separate them into different fleets?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1364 on: February 07, 2021, 02:52:01 PM »
This time I have checked the wiki and my search-fu has failed. In VB6 you could use SM mode to move fleets around systems to various locations - is that possible in C#?
Also, can you use SM mode to refuel ships (as you could in VB6).

I'm asking for a friend and not because I've failed to design my survey ships with sufficient fuel stores and watched them run out of fuel before getting back to Earth - honest  :o

You can move fleets in SM to bodies with colony. It is in Naval Organization tab - Fleet - Miscellaneous - Move Fleet button.

To SM refuel - Naval Organization - Ship Overview - Miscellaneous - SM Refuel button.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke