Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361616 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1440 on: February 19, 2021, 01:12:00 AM »
Well, realistically you probably could argue that no sensors are black and white so having more sensors would give you more chances to detect something and that some just is in a slightly better spot to register something than some other sensor. The reason things are black and white in the game are game mechanic and making things simple.

It would not be far fetched that you say get the most powerful sensor and the add the SQRT(0.5*SUM) of all the rest of the sensors in the fleet.

So if you have a fleet of 10 ships each with a strength 10 passive thermal sensor the actual strength to find something would become 16.7 instead. In my opinion this would actually make some sense and I think would improve the game to some degree. This should be used for both passive and active sensor strength. The additional strength could obviously be argued if you want to multiply the SUM with 0.5 or say 0.25 or something...

Sure... ships that are not in the same spot should also be able to combine their sensor data... but let's just assume that communication are not instant enough that it is harder for those ships to share data quick enough to benefit from this. It would likely be too complicated otherwise.

Another way this could be done is that whenever each ship make a detection roll there is a random roll made on the sensitivity part of the sensor. Let's say every sensor have a 75-100% to  deviation (not a linear calculation). The more ships you have in possible range the more likely you are to detect something sooner, now it does not matter if the ship is in one spot anymore. The game would also show any findings as if they are within 100% detection range or not by noting the contact with a "?" as long as it is within that 20% deviation of the best sensors in the fleet.

Although you should make it so that there only is one roll for sensor sensitivity once every five minutes or so. If you run a longer time period there could be several rolls per sensor as you should get a more accurate reading over that time frame.

Now it give sensors a sense of more "realism" and using several sensors more of an actual role.

I actually like this second option better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:31:46 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1441 on: February 19, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
Is there a way to create an empty fleet over a planetary body?

Idea is to create that empty fleet in order to tug orbital mines there. ATM I have to tug the first OM to the planet which auto-creates a fleet there; but it does this for every OM I cycle-tug there. And later I have to "join" the OMs manually into one fleet. So If I could create an empty fleet over a body that would make cycle transfer a bit less micro.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1442 on: February 19, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »

Idea is to create that empty fleet in order to tug orbital mines there. ATM I have to tug the first OM to the planet which auto-creates a fleet there; but it does this for every OM I cycle-tug there. And later I have to "join" the OMs manually into one fleet. So If I could create an empty fleet over a body that would make cycle transfer a bit less micro.

The closest way, which I believe requires use of SM, is to create an empty fleet by one of the normal means, and then use the Misc tab of the fleet window to teleport/move it to another location. This seems to be limited to colonies however - I've tried in the past to move harvesters to Jupiter for example and this can't be done - so you will need to create a colony at your destination. Works fine for OM and Terraformers but you're gonna have a bad time using this for fuel harvesters for instance.

However this won't really save you any time as we don't have an order for tugs to release tractored ships into a fleet, so you still have to manually drag the released ship into the fleet. There's no functional difference from dragging everything into one of the OM fleets and renaming it.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1443 on: February 19, 2021, 04:27:55 PM »

The closest way, which I believe requires use of SM, is to create an empty fleet by one of the normal means, and then use the Misc tab of the fleet window to teleport/move it to another location. This seems to be limited to colonies however - I've tried in the past to move harvesters to Jupiter for example and this can't be done - so you will need to create a colony at your destination. Works fine for OM and Terraformers but you're gonna have a bad time using this for fuel harvesters for instance.

However this won't really save you any time as we don't have an order for tugs to release tractored ships into a fleet, so you still have to manually drag the released ship into the fleet. There's no functional difference from dragging everything into one of the OM fleets and renaming it.

I may be confused and misunderstood - But I'm pretty sure I've regularly dropped a tractored hull off into an existing fleet. After dropping off the first one as it's own fleet, I've used cycle orders to bulk move stations from one site to another just using 'tractor any ship in fleet' and picking a fleet at the destination to release the tractored hull into it.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1444 on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »

I may be confused and misunderstood - But I'm pretty sure I've regularly dropped a tractored hull off into an existing fleet. After dropping off the first one as it's own fleet, I've used cycle orders to bulk move stations from one site to another just using 'tractor any ship in fleet' and picking a fleet at the destination to release the tractored hull into it.

If that's how it works, I'll thank you for this useful information.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1445 on: February 19, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »

I'd like to mention that SM teleporting also works with rendezvous points allowing you to teleport stuff anywhere you want provided you made the waypoint where you want.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1446 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:15 PM »
I'd like to mention that SM teleporting also works with rendezvous points allowing you to teleport stuff anywhere you want provided you made the waypoint where you want.

I've heard this in theory but had a lot of trouble trying to make it work. I did manage to do it just now in a test game, but the waypoint name was incorrect and I had to fiddle around with the movement orders tab to make it show up at all.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1447 on: February 20, 2021, 01:47:31 AM »
This is how it works ATM. First release to the system body creates a fleet, then you have to make a new cycle order to tug the rest into that newly created fleet. My idea was to have that first ship also being tugged into a new fleet by creating an empty fleet by myself there - so I would have to do a bit less micro.

Offline WA Lancer

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #1448 on: February 20, 2021, 02:06:20 AM »
Is there a way to create and import a new list of names for characters?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #1449 on: February 20, 2021, 03:48:01 AM »

Yes. Newly created fleets are created wherever the headquarters for the selected naval admin command is. Empty fleets can be moved using the misc tab. (If you're in SM mode then you can move fleets with ships in them this way too.) This does not necessarily need to involve waypoints.

And if you use the fleet as the destination for your tugs, the tractored ship will be inserted into the fleet, saving you that step.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1450 on: February 20, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »

You can use a fleet as the target of the Release Tractor order and it will be added automatically. That is the best way to cycle tractor orders when you need to move a lot of ships.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1451 on: February 20, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
Is there a way to create and import a new list of names for characters?

Yes, on the Miscellaneous tab of the Tactical Map.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1452 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »

If that's how it works, I'll thank you for this useful information.
[/quote]

That's how I do it. I just name first obital as planet/moon name then deploy rest to that fleet.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #1453 on: February 21, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »
So uh. I have two colonies producing MSP right now, and 24 MSP per facility tech, yet my homeworld is producing around 111 MSP per facility and my other colony produces around 91. What the hell is going on? I don't have governors with crazy production bonus, sector + planet governor give no more than a 20% bonus.

Edit: Just talked to a bunch of people on the Discord channel and they seem to have this issue as well. Possible bug?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:36:11 PM by Ektor »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1454 on: February 21, 2021, 06:19:03 PM »
So uh. I have two colonies producing MSP right now, and 24 MSP per facility tech, yet my homeworld is producing around 111 MSP per facility and my other colony produces around 91. What the hell is going on? I don't have governors with crazy production bonus, sector + planet governor give no more than a 20% bonus.

Edit: Just talked to a bunch of people on the Discord channel and they seem to have this issue as well. Possible bug?

MSP production is actually the amount of BP spent and each BP produces 4 MSP. The tech is labelled badly, but it is working as intended. I've changed the tech description to BP.