Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361696 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1500 on: February 27, 2021, 01:33:23 PM »
So I understand that Maneuver or something like that is actually a trait that Ground Units have that is hidden for some reason. How do you increase it and what does it do?

The maneuver skill on ground forces officers improves the chance for a unit to make a breakthrough if they have the possibility to do so. While the breakthrough stat is hidden, it's not too hard to know the base stats - all vehicle types get full chance, infantry get something like half chance, and statics cannot break through. The basic breakthrough chance is essentially determined by the defending formation(s) having low morale, so essentially the maneuver skill lets you break through against a formation with a bit higher morale than you would otherwise.

Breakthroughs mechanically are just a second chance to attack an enemy formation. The enemy does not get a chance to fire back so these usually are a way to cause massive casualties once the enemy morale is low enough.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:36:10 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1501 on: February 27, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »
Breakthroughs mechanically are just a second chance to attack an enemy formation. The enemy does not get a chance to fire back so these usually are a way to cause massive casualties once the enemy morale is low enough.

Not just that, a breakthrough attack can also target formations in the support position through the enemy frontline IIRC.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1502 on: February 27, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »

Not just that, a breakthrough attack can also target formations in the support position through the enemy frontline IIRC.

As far as I know, any unit in front line attack stance can do this, formations in support and rear echelons simply have reduced target profiles (25% and 5% respectively). It is not unique to breakthroughs.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1503 on: February 27, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »

As far as I know, any unit in front line attack stance can do this, formations in support and rear echelons simply have reduced target profiles (25% and 5% respectively). It is not unique to breakthroughs.

If so, maybe a commander skill called "flanking" or "covert ops" should exist that gives the commanders formation a bonus modifier to that target profile. So certain commanders are better at hitting targets behind the lines.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1504 on: February 27, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
I also think that civilians should a bit more randomly chose which demand to carry cargo to. They seem to be very laser focused on one demand before another and I don't actually like this behavior.
Yes, they seem to have an internal priority which doesn't seem to make that much sense. If I enter 1 MD and 20 AMs they usually first ship the AMs and then the MD. If so happens I add some DSTS for a different planet, that all of a sudden gets shipped first... .

Some kind of priority attribute for what you want to be shipped first would be nice. Or FIFO system would do...

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1505 on: February 28, 2021, 05:48:50 AM »
I positioned an elint equipped ship close to a planet - and now I am getting messages that the attempts to establish communication are blocked (I think they are Rahkas). I had thought that I would need the diplomatic module for communications, not the elint module...  ???

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #1506 on: February 28, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
I positioned an elint equipped ship close to a planet - and now I am getting messages that the attempts to establish communication are blocked (I think they are Rahkas). I had thought that I would need the diplomatic module for communications, not the elint module...  ???

You need neither. What you need is an active sensor (or transponder!!) contact on a ship, or an EM contact on a population. This needs to go both ways and yields four scenarios that work for communications:

- You detect their ship (w. active sensor), they detect your ship (w. active sensor)
- You detect their ship (w. active sensor), they detect your population (w. EM sensor)
- You detect their population (w. EM sensor), they detect your ship (w. active sensor)
- You detect their population (w. EM sensor), they detect your population (w. EM sensor)

In all four of those cases both parties need to be attempting communications.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1507 on: February 28, 2021, 11:10:04 AM »
The above is true. The diplo module only exists for increasing your opinion of them.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1508 on: February 28, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »
So I understand that Maneuver or something like that is actually a trait that Ground Units have that is hidden for some reason. How do you increase it and what does it do?

The maneuver skill on ground forces officers improves the chance for a unit to make a breakthrough if they have the possibility to do so. While the breakthrough stat is hidden, it's not too hard to know the base stats - all vehicle types get full chance, infantry get something like half chance, and statics cannot break through. The basic breakthrough chance is essentially determined by the defending formation(s) having low morale, so essentially the maneuver skill lets you break through against a formation with a bit higher morale than you would otherwise.

Well regardless of how simple it is, the game should tell you the units breakthrough value. How are you supposed to even know it exists if it doesn't say?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1509 on: February 28, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
Another ground forces related question. Is there a way to select only a portion of a a particular unit type when manually transferring units between formations on the Order of battle tab. I have some infantry companies I want to upgrade. I've moved the obsolete kit out, set the replacement formation and selected the replacement template for the receiving unit. When the company receives reinforcements, they are not distributed like the formation template. Instead I have 40 of an AT unit in the company (should be 10) and 20 of an AA unit (should be 10) and only 80 basic infantry (should be 100).The replacement formation has enough unit to provide, but they aren't matching the formation. Is there a way to break 10 AT (or any other number) out of the group of 40 I currently have?
Welchbloke

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1510 on: February 28, 2021, 06:58:18 PM »
Another ground forces related question. Is there a way to select only a portion of a a particular unit type when manually transferring units between formations on the Order of battle tab. I have some infantry companies I want to upgrade. I've moved the obsolete kit out, set the replacement formation and selected the replacement template for the receiving unit. When the company receives reinforcements, they are not distributed like the formation template. Instead I have 40 of an AT unit in the company (should be 10) and 20 of an AA unit (should be 10) and only 80 basic infantry (should be 100).The replacement formation has enough unit to provide, but they aren't matching the formation. Is there a way to break 10 AT (or any other number) out of the group of 40 I currently have?

On the top of the tree view you've got a bunch of checkboxes, you want to check 2 of them - "show element" and "amount popup". This will allow you to drag and drop a certain amount of an element onto a different formation.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1511 on: March 01, 2021, 12:38:45 AM »
You need neither. What you need is an active sensor (or transponder!!) contact on a ship, or an EM contact on a population. This needs to go both ways and yields four scenarios that work for communications:

- You detect their ship (w. active sensor), they detect your ship (w. active sensor)
- You detect their ship (w. active sensor), they detect your population (w. EM sensor)
- You detect their population (w. EM sensor), they detect your ship (w. active sensor)
- You detect their population (w. EM sensor), they detect your population (w. EM sensor)

In all four of those cases both parties need to be attempting communications.
So the communication attempts happen because not only I can see their colony but they also can see my (supposed) stealth elint ship...  :o - oops...

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1512 on: March 02, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »
I have the following space station:

Code: [Select]
Brazil Base class Fuel Depot      25,840 tons       30 Crew       552.9 BP       TCS 517    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 103      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 20 MSP

Fuel Capacity 25,000,000 Litres    Range N/A
Refueling Capability: 50,000 liters per hour     Complete Refuel 500 hours

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

I transferred fuel to these stations with these ships:
Fleetwood Mk.4 class Fuel Transport      13,500 tons       50 Crew       202.8 BP       TCS 270    TH 200    EM 0
740 km/s      Armour 1-50       Shields 0-0       HTK 16      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 9    Max Repair 25 MSP

Negi Turbines C5-100.0 1.250t INP Engine (2)    Power 200    Fuel Use 3.84%    Signature 100    Explosion 4%
Fuel Capacity 10,009,000 Litres    Range 3,471.9 billion km (54302 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 80,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 125 hours

It always worked. However, with my new design this base isn't refueled any more:
Macwood Mk.5 class Fuel Transport      60,000 tons       210 Crew       657 BP       TCS 1,200    TH 2,250    EM 0
1875 km/s      Armour 1-136       Shields 0-0       HTK 109      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 6    Max Repair 25 MSP

Negi Turbines C6-150.0 2.400t ID Engine (15)    Power 2250    Fuel Use 0.86%    Signature 150    Explosion 2%
Fuel Capacity 22,412,000 Litres    Range 7,856.4 billion km (48496 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 80,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 280 hours

All three have the tanker-bit set and the ships in the fleet are set to "no auto refuel". But the command "Refuel from own tankers" is doing nothing with a ship from the new design. Any ideas what I am missing?

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1513 on: March 03, 2021, 02:34:55 AM »
Is there a way for multiple nations starting on earth that all retain the default naming of the sol system? Or can I copy some entries in the DB so they all have identical names for the system bodies?

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1514 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
I have the following space station

Fuel Capacity 25,000,000 Litres    Range N/A
Refueling Capability: 50,000 liters per hour     Complete Refuel 500 hours

All three have the tanker-bit set and the ships in the fleet are set to "no auto refuel". But the command "Refuel from own tankers" is doing nothing with a ship from the new design. Any ideas what I am missing?

I had this same problem with my tanker space stations.
In the end I just tugged them to nearest fuel planet then tugged them back.
Which is a pain..