Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361541 times)

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1665 on: April 23, 2021, 04:04:23 PM »
Is it useful to give beam fire controls for anti missile duty more than the minimum range?
If I remember correctly they are fired at at 10000km, so they would benefit from better range.
Debating if I should keep them at 96k or reduce some more to save weight to squeeze a 1 HS thermal sensor in.
The weapons in question are 10cm rails with 30k km range.

There is some benefit since accuracy at 10kkm depends on range (range is proportional to fraction of maximum)

The following users thanked this post: Rince Wind

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1666 on: April 23, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »
Is it useful to give beam fire controls for anti missile duty more than the minimum range?
If I remember correctly they are fired at at 10000km, so they would benefit from better range.
Debating if I should keep them at 96k or reduce some more to save weight to squeeze a 1 HS thermal sensor in.
The weapons in question are 10cm rails with 30k km range.

There is some benefit since accuracy at 10kkm depends on range (range is proportional to fraction of maximum)

To be specific, beam weapon accuracy at range is determined solely by the BFC, as:
Code: [Select]
ACC% = 100% * (1 - target_range / BFC_max_range)this means there are diminishing returns for BFC range, which means BFC size. For example, a BFC with 50k range will give 80% base accuracy at 10k range, however to get 90% base accuracy you need to have a BFC with 100k range - double the tonnage for only +10% accuracy. Doubling the tonnage again to 200k range will give only +5% more. I usually try for 80% or 90% depending on how advanced my BFC tech is, for PD fire controls. For main fire controls of course you want maximum range to gain accuracy at your weapon maximum range.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1667 on: April 24, 2021, 03:16:59 AM »
I have max range firecontrols for my 15cm rails, so those should be fairly accurate.
I'll reduce the range for the PD ones and play around with some prototypes. Great feature that one.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1668 on: April 24, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »

Shaving 50T off of an AMM BFC is probably going to reduce accuracy more than I would want to live with, especially if all I get out of it is a 50T thermal sensor.
If the ships these are on ever travel in groups, the extra sensors don't do anything for you.

So I guess it depends on the mission profile.
If this is a standalone ship/base intended for cheap, minimal, mobile colony defense, then it might be worthwhile.
If this is a mainfleet ship, I'd rather make it really good at what it does, and let my sensor ships be really good at providing thermal info.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1669 on: April 24, 2021, 04:03:17 PM »
I don't have sensor ships (yet). Everybody gets a 250t active sensor with a resolution fitting for its job.
I had a couple tons left, so I didn't need a full 50t and I have 2 firecontrols. But ...
I played around a bit, made slightly smaller firecontrols and ended up with enough space for another gun after fiddling around a bit, so still no thermal sensor. :D

I wish reduced research speed didn't apply to racial components, just to basic research.

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #1670 on: April 24, 2021, 04:58:59 PM »
Anyone know if there's an option to transfer a fleet/ship to another race's control? Want to test out some little beam fighters and I'm hoping to avoid designing things twice. I think there's something like this but I just don't know where the button is.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1671 on: April 24, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
What he said

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1672 on: April 24, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »
Anyone know if there's an option to transfer a fleet/ship to another race's control? Want to test out some little beam fighters and I'm hoping to avoid designing things twice. I think there's something like this but I just don't know where the button is.

No such button exists.

The following users thanked this post: YABG

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #1673 on: April 24, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »

No such button exists.

Ah shoot, well it shouldn't take much longer to set things up properly.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1674 on: April 27, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »
When I use the "Assign New" button, the name of the selected research project is appended with "(N)".
That's cool.

I also have a research project appended with "(SW)".
What does that mean....wait, nevermind--the project is for a single weapon beam fire control.
The "(SW)" is part of the proper project name, not appended by any reason relating to lab assignments.

Well, I'll post this anyway as it may help someone searching for an answer in the future.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1675 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
Is there a way to SM-edit the amount of fuel at a colony?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1676 on: April 28, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Is there a way to SM-edit the amount of fuel at a colony?

No, but you can SM-edit the fuel on a tanker in orbit and transfer the difference up/down as a workaround. Not sure if he changed it, but you could give ships something like negative 50m fuel and have them fuel up from the colony again to drain that much extra.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1677 on: April 28, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »
I don't understand how replacement ground units work (both manually and auto)... Could you help me?

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #1678 on: April 28, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
The last I heard, the tactical officer's bonus was TBD.  Has this been determined yet?

Tactical officers can add 100% of their tactical bonus to the ship. Tactical bonus increase chance hit with beam/missile weapons.

Thanks.

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #1679 on: April 28, 2021, 04:21:04 PM »
Hi Everyone.
Just building my own Active Sensor Model.
Does anyone know what the PI is short for in the formula below.
Apologies if its terribly simple but ive tried making it the subject of the formula, which works, but cant re-create it for other resolution values which stumped me.   
I cant see any other related posts when searching. 

Specifically using the formula: 
Sensor Range = SQRT((Racial Sensor Strength * HS * Racial EM Sensitivity * (Resolution ^ (1/1. 5)) / PI) * 1,000,000 km

Formula mentioned here:  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg102701#msg102701

Thank you in advance :)