Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361577 times)

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1860 on: May 26, 2021, 07:58:21 AM »
I have two questions in a row.
First, what is the (FP) marker that appeared in some of my tech? (It were unable to be researched, didint appeared on the research list. I had to delete and start another tech from scratch)
Second, What is the difficulty modifier? Does it make the NPRs deadlier or just makes our lives harder in regards to tech and playability?

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #1861 on: May 26, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »
First, what is the (FP) marker that appeared in some of my tech? (It were unable to be researched, didint appeared on the research list. I had to delete and start another tech from scratch)
Second, What is the difficulty modifier? Does it make the NPRs deadlier or just makes our lives harder in regards to tech and playability?

1. FP is Future Prototype. You're seeing it because you ticked "show next tech" in the research project screen and created a prototype. You can't research FPs because they require tech you haven't researched yet. (For example, you can FP a 20cm Laser before you research 20cm Laser Focal Size.) These are useful if you want to design ships based on the next tech tier and play around with the components, and then put research into the actual tech and components that will let you build that ship. (You can also prototype from current tech to figure out which components you want to research.)

2. (Most) green text in the options screen has tool tips. Hover over them to get descriptions in the info box.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1862 on: May 26, 2021, 08:24:02 AM »

1. FP is Future Prototype. You're seeing it because you ticked "show next tech" in the research project screen and created a prototype. You can't research FPs because they require tech you haven't researched yet. (For example, you can FP a 20cm Laser before you research 20cm Laser Focal Size.) These are useful if you want to design ships based on the next tech tier and play around with the components, and then put research into the actual tech and components that will let you build that ship. (You can also prototype from current tech to figure out which components you want to research.)

2. (Most) green text in the options screen has tool tips. Hover over them to get descriptions in the info box.
Oh, i didint even knew we had that option to see next tech. That explains quite a lot then. Thanks man.

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1863 on: May 26, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »
Ground commander assignment:

When specifying the "priority" of a Governor, lower numbers are less priority.

Is the reverse true for Ground commanders?  I tried setting my important formations to have a very high number, but they don't seem to be getting the (very few) Brigadier Generals I have available.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1864 on: May 26, 2021, 12:21:09 PM »
It was but it is supposed to be fixed.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1865 on: May 26, 2021, 01:04:43 PM »
Ground commander assignment:

When specifying the "priority" of a Governor, lower numbers are less priority.

Is the reverse true for Ground commanders?  I tried setting my important formations to have a very high number, but they don't seem to be getting the (very few) Brigadier Generals I have available.

Make sure your formations are assigned to have the brigadier generals as their command rank. This can be done in the Order of Battle for existing formations of the Formation Templates window for each template.

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1866 on: May 26, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=11545. msg152159#msg152159 date=1622049669
It was but it is supposed to be fixed.

Roger.   I'll try and set their priority to 1 and see if that helps in the future (I mean, I can manually assign them, but I don't want me forgetting to do that 1 time wrecking things)

Another question:  Is there a way on the System's map to see which systems have an Aether Rift in them?  Stepping through each of 100 systems and zooming in-and-out to see if there's a telltale Purple pixel is even more time-consuming than most aspects of this game, and somewhat less entertaining :)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1867 on: May 28, 2021, 03:38:33 PM »
So I've been having a group of 60 max tech CAS fighters duking out with a Rakhas planet and I have a question about armor specifically on small crafts.

These fighters are heavily protected, 9 shields and 10 layers of armor which is 3 wide and also have ECM 100 (note that I'm on a modded DB with extended tech lines).

Relevant but also very spoilery: The rakhas in question have racial weapon tech 30 and have AA tanks with 2x Heavy AA as well as infantry AA

These fighters went on a search and destroy mission on that planet, every 8 hour increment I get a bunch of kills and on average lose 2 fighters per round.

The interesting thing happened when one of the fighters got hit 3 times and survived. It received 1 shield hit and 2 penetrating hits with 18 armor damage.

I have attached screenshots to illustrate what happened to the fighter. Annoyingly the "combat summary" event for AA incidents is completely blank.

Regardless, my questions arise from the fact that the armor hasn't actually been penetrated, but the fighter still received internal damage.

If a damage pattern is wider than the armor width what happens? Does the "overflowed" damage do internal damage or does it get applied to the remaining armor?
Also did this fighter receive shock damage?

Also does ECM not have an effect when defending from AA fire? What level of ECCM would an AA unit even use?

EDIT: Well can't bug report since it's a modded DB but shortly after I sent the troop transports to start the invasion and I got this: "1.13.0, Function #2686: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index".
This happened between GU combat rounds when life pods were being collected and troop transports were being shot and hit by STO plasma carronades.
EDIT: The above bug happened because a troop transport finally got destroyed, killing everything in it. Specifically "200% of all ground troops"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:50:52 PM by Droll »

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1868 on: May 28, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
So I've been having a group of 60 max tech CAS fighters duking out with a Rakhas planet and I have a question about armor specifically on small crafts.

These fighters are heavily protected, 9 shields and 10 layers of armor which is 3 wide and also have ECM 100 (note that I'm on a modded DB with extended tech lines).

Relevant but also very spoilery: The rakhas in question have racial weapon tech 30 and have AA tanks with 2x Heavy AA as well as infantry AA

These fighters went on a search and destroy mission on that planet, every 8 hour increment I get a bunch of kills and on average lose 2 fighters per round.

The interesting thing happened when one of the fighters got hit 3 times and survived. It received 1 shield hit and 2 penetrating hits with 18 armor damage.

I have attached screenshots to illustrate what happened to the fighter. Annoyingly the "combat summary" event for AA incidents is completely blank.

Regardless, my questions arise from the fact that the armor hasn't actually been penetrated, but the fighter still received internal damage.

If a damage pattern is wider than the armor width what happens? Does the "overflowed" damage do internal damage or does it get applied to the remaining armor?
Also did this fighter receive shock damage?

Also does ECM not have an effect when defending from AA fire? What level of ECCM would an AA unit even use?
I might be wrong don't think shock damage has a special event or sub-event like "this ship took x shock damage" or AA has no events either.
I don't think ECM has any effect on defending from AA fire.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1869 on: May 28, 2021, 03:47:47 PM »
I admit that I'm not familiar with the damage profiles from AA fire, but as the combat logs say these were 9-damage hits they look like the damage profile that would result from a 9-damage missile or plasma hit. The damage would be 1-2-3-2-1 and with an armor width of 3 the '1' columns will wrap around the '2' columns to produce a 3-3-3 profile.

The internal damage is almost certainly shock damage, the chance is ( damage / ship size in HS ), and a fighter of 10 HS would therefore have a 95% chance of suffering shock damage. Since you have an armor width of 3 I'm guessing your fighters are only 5 HS? So shock damage is guaranteed to happen in this case.

As far as I know, ECM has no effect on ground-based AA fire, at least it is not mentioned in any documentation I know of.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1870 on: May 28, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »
I admit that I'm not familiar with the damage profiles from AA fire, but as the combat logs say these were 9-damage hits they look like the damage profile that would result from a 9-damage missile or plasma hit. The damage would be 1-2-3-2-1 and with an armor width of 3 the '1' columns will wrap around the '2' columns to produce a 3-3-3 profile.

The internal damage is almost certainly shock damage, the chance is ( damage / ship size in HS ), and a fighter of 10 HS would therefore have a 95% chance of suffering shock damage. Since you have an armor width of 3 I'm guessing your fighters are only 5 HS? So shock damage is guaranteed to happen in this case.

As far as I know, ECM has no effect on ground-based AA fire, at least it is not mentioned in any documentation I know of.

This explains why fighters often just don't survive AA, shock damage mechanics are completely stacked against them.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1871 on: May 28, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »
If i put enough maintenance facilities on an asteroid, will i be able to maintain a permanent station around it? Or more than one?
My line of tought is that i need a permanent station to protect an asteroid field for mining purposes and to be an early warning and interception facility. But since its permanent, i will need to maintain it. And while i am onto this, i would probably just stuck some patrol Corvettes around and i can use the station to refuel them. (So i wont have to use too many pop on the asteroid plus the hangars will be used for that too.)
I am open to suggestions on how to make this idea better tough.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:59:51 PM by Agraelgrimm »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1872 on: May 28, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
If i put enough maintenance facilities on an asteroid, will i be able to maintain a permanent station around it? Or more than one?
My line of tought is that i need a permanent station to protect an asteroid field for mining purposes and to be an early warning and interception facility. But since its permanent, i will need to maintain it. And while i am onto this, i would probably just stuck some patrol Corvettes around and i can use the station to refuel them. (So i wont have to use too many pop on the asteroid plus the hangars will be used for that too.)

Maintenance facilities require population to operate, so you can do this just fine but you will need a populated colony to do so.

An easier approach may be Maintenance Modules on a (commercial) station as these require no population and can be built to any size you want.

Either approach will require you to routinely ship MSPs to the asteroid though, so just be sure you've planned for that necessity.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, Gabrote42

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1873 on: May 29, 2021, 02:44:11 AM »

Maintenance facilities require population to operate, so you can do this just fine but you will need a populated colony to do so.

An easier approach may be Maintenance Modules on a (commercial) station as these require no population and can be built to any size you want.

Either approach will require you to routinely ship MSPs to the asteroid though, so just be sure you've planned for that necessity.

Sure, but dont the maintanence facilities produce MSPs?

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1874 on: May 29, 2021, 08:08:14 AM »
Is there any easy way to mass-award a medal for officers and ground units? I've set up the automatic conditions that are available for medals, but for example I wanted to create a Campaign medal to commemorate the capture of a new system, and wanted all officers involved in my battle fleets and ground units to receive it. Is there a better way to do that then just going to the officers window, doing a wide search for all naval officers , then scrolling through the list and looking for people with assignments to some billet on a ship involved.

Is there a way to like, award a medal to the fleet and automatically have all officers receive it, same for ground units? Thanks!