Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361534 times)

David Russon

Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1905 on: June 01, 2021, 01:47:21 PM »
Steve ,

The only mod is the Ribbon mod and BlueBeGone mod to change the blue background to black - the text gets fuzzy after a while using the blue background due to my eyesight.

Current db attached if of use.

DavidR

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1906 on: June 02, 2021, 05:22:40 AM »
So, I know after the word "Thermal" in the screenshot is the heat-readout of the enemy's engines (higher values meaning they run hotter).

But what does the "C" or "M" at the front of the number mean?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1907 on: June 02, 2021, 05:46:48 AM »
So, I know after the word "Thermal" in the screenshot is the heat-readout of the enemy's engines (higher values meaning they run hotter).

But what does the "C" or "M" at the front of the number mean?

M - military engines
C - commercial engines

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #1908 on: June 02, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »
Ok, so, I'm trying to get one of my fleets to move at a slower speed than max.

I used the "Set Speed" button, and it seems to have worked (see attached screenshot).

But right after doing a 5-second increment, the fleet goes right back to max speed.  Is there a checkbox I'm missing?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1909 on: June 02, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Is there a checkbox I'm missing?

Yes actually, on the screen where you issue movement orders there's a checkbox that goes "use max speed". It's checked by default, so uncheck it if you wanna use "Set speed".
Edit: It should be towards the right-middle of the naval organization menu in a panel filled with checkboxes.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #1910 on: June 03, 2021, 05:17:49 AM »
Do the Aether Rift invaders (or any NPC I guess) suffer the same 1.5% maintenance failure chance per shot as I do?

I mean, I've already written this CMC off as a total loss, I don't mind losing it, but I'm on my fourth in-game day of 5 second bombardment increments, and at the rate that infantry die to 1DMG orbital shots, I'm looking at another 6 of them ;p

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1911 on: June 03, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Do the Aether Rift invaders (or any NPC I guess) suffer the same 1.5% maintenance failure chance per shot as I do?

I mean, I've already written this CMC off as a total loss, I don't mind losing it, but I'm on my fourth in-game day of 5 second bombardment increments, and at the rate that infantry die to 1DMG orbital shots, I'm looking at another 6 of them ;p

I cannot find a source specifically answering this question in the dev posts, but I believe that NPR ships do not suffer component failures due to insufficient MSP for the same reasons that they can still move their ships when they have run out of fuel, namely that the AI is too stupid to handle refuelling and resupply logistics properly and this concession is necessary to prevent the NPRs from hamstringing themselves.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #1912 on: June 03, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »

I cannot find a source specifically answering this question in the dev posts, but I believe that NPR ships do not suffer component failures due to insufficient MSP for the same reasons that they can still move their ships when they have run out of fuel, namely that the AI is too stupid to handle refuelling and resupply logistics properly and this concession is necessary to prevent the NPRs from hamstringing themselves.
Hrm.  Then I need to figure out a way to expedite this "fairly"... I mean, I can just SM and delete the CMC and say "they won", but then I'm guessing they'll just hop over to the next planet and start bombing that CMC as well, even though they still (by my calculation) have a weeks worth of bombing to kill this one first, by which point my reinforcements will arrive.

Ah well.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1913 on: June 05, 2021, 12:17:16 AM »
Is there a way to prioritize a tactical officer over say a fighter pilot using automated assignment? A tactical officer on a combat ship is always better than a fighter pilot in my opinion, but they frequently get assigned badly.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1914 on: June 05, 2021, 12:30:46 AM »
So i have a planet that i cannot create a colony in it. Idk why. The only thing it calls my attention its that -1 CC it has.
Could be that this planet is habitable and even tough i surveyed it, my scans were crappy and didint got any life form there?

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #1915 on: June 05, 2021, 12:52:12 AM »
Is there a way to prioritize a tactical officer over say a fighter pilot using automated assignment? A tactical officer on a combat ship is always better than a fighter pilot in my opinion, but they frequently get assigned badly.

No.

Steve's post (from the 1.10 changelog, updated sometime after 1.12): http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104046#msg104046

The tl;dr is that co positions, regardless of ship priority, always fill from both unassigned commanders and commanders in non-co positions.

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #1916 on: June 05, 2021, 12:58:00 AM »
So i have a planet that i cannot create a colony in it. Idk why. The only thing it calls my attention its that -1 CC it has.
Could be that this planet is habitable and even tough i surveyed it, my scans were crappy and didint got any life form there?

Everytime I see a -1 on that screen, it's a gas planet (Gas Giant or Super Jovian). You can leave things in orbit, but you can't make a colony.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1917 on: June 05, 2021, 12:03:58 PM »

No.

Steve's post (from the 1.10 changelog, updated sometime after 1.12): http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104046#msg104046

The tl;dr is that co positions, regardless of ship priority, always fill from both unassigned commanders and commanders in non-co positions.
I figured. Make me not want to build fighters. I have a 40 level academy and I still don't get enough Tac officers and I only have maybe 100 fighters and maybe four dozen ships with a CIC.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1918 on: June 05, 2021, 01:00:12 PM »

No.

I figured. Make me not want to build fighters. I have a 40 level academy and I still don't get enough Tac officers and I only have maybe 100 fighters and maybe four dozen ships with a CIC.

It can help to check the Senior C.O. box in the class design window, which will make the minimum rank for a junior officer one above the minimum. This means your fighters remain commanded only by the lowest level of commanders and hopefully minimizes any overloading of a particular commander rank.

Of course then you have to be careful not to run out of commanding officers, since Tactical Officers have to be two ranks lower than their commanding officer so if you have four dozen ships with a CIC you need ~48 Rank-4 officers (CDREs in the UK system) which requires you to have something like 400 Rank-1 officers (LCDRs) if you use auto-promotions. With a level-40 academy producing 200 officers a year this is doable though.

I usually end up finding that the junior officers modules need to be used conservatively or I run out of officers at some rank. Even if all I use are AUX modules, it's easy to run out of XOs if I put them on every large ship class.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1919 on: June 05, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »

No.

It can help to check the Senior C.O. box in the class design window, which will make the minimum rank for a junior officer one above the minimum. This means your fighters remain commanded only by the lowest level of commanders and hopefully minimizes any overloading of a particular commander rank.

Of course then you have to be careful not to run out of commanding officers, since Tactical Officers have to be two ranks lower than their commanding officer so if you have four dozen ships with a CIC you need ~48 Rank-4 officers (CDREs in the UK system) which requires you to have something like 400 Rank-1 officers (LCDRs) if you use auto-promotions. With a level-40 academy producing 200 officers a year this is doable though.

I usually end up finding that the junior officers modules need to be used conservatively or I run out of officers at some rank. Even if all I use are AUX modules, it's easy to run out of XOs if I put them on every large ship class.

The way I solve it is by adding a new rank at the bottom "Lieutenant" (LT) and using senior CO on all ships that have things like CIC etc.
What happens is that fighters and commercial ships (without commercial JDs) use the LT rank, senior CO ends up putting the CO as Captain which means that the CIC and ENG modules are manned by LCDRs.
In fact, in my games LCDRs are almost exclusively bridge officers and never COs onboard military ships and it works quite well. The lowest commanding rank ends up being "Commander" for frigates that don't have bridge crews.

It works less well if you add jump drives to your commercial ships, as this pushes their rank requirement up to LCDR, making commercial ships scoop up LCDRs. It's still a massive improvement though because your 1000+ fighters / orbital PPV platforms will still use LTs, which massively reduces the burden on LCDRs.

The most obvious disadvantage is that you are halving the officer pool for capital military ships by adding the lower rank, but not only has this never seemed to materialize as a problem for me, I usually use all the LTs on fighter sized crafts anyways so the extra rank is not a waste.

The following users thanked this post: Foxxonius Augustus