Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361632 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2100 on: August 14, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »
Do the maintenance rules for military vessels apply to NPR vessels at all? I have seen an NPR with 4 megatons of deployed military vessels but only 0.27 megatons of maintenance capacity. This looks strange to me.

As far as I know, NPRs are not affected by fuel or MSP/maintenance needs. Their AI will still behave as if it were to an extent (e.g., sending ships to a base to refuel) but mechanically they do not have to do this. The reason is exactly what you see here: the AI is simply not capable of actually managing its fleets while working with such mechanics.

Offline The0didactus

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2101 on: August 14, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
so I've got this wonderful campaign going where I destroyed the entire Sol system and rebuilt from the ground up with 200,000 pop, 2 mines, 2 factories, and a handful of ships.   It's going great so far.  .  .  but it's taken me more than 2 centuries to get a decent economy going where I can, eg, research techs, build ships, and refuel stuff.   It's probably going to be at least another century before I get systems resembling a typical game start (20+ labs). 

While I did not start with any NPR's enabled.  .  .  I'm bound to run into them eventually.   Will they just absolutely wipe the floor with me when I make contact with them? Given how NPR generation works per the wiki, it seems like their tech will be vastly greater than my own.   Any clever ways to surmount this? by "clever" I mean something cleverer than "cheat and purchase a bunch of techs right now to catch up". . . but I'll do that if I have to.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2102 on: August 14, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
so I've got this wonderful campaign going where I destroyed the entire Sol system and rebuilt from the ground up with 200,000 pop, 2 mines, 2 factories, and a handful of ships.   It's going great so far.  .  .  but it's taken me more than 2 centuries to get a decent economy going where I can, eg, research techs, build ships, and refuel stuff.   It's probably going to be at least another century before I get systems resembling a typical game start (20+ labs). 

While I did not start with any NPR's enabled.  .  .  I'm bound to run into them eventually.   Will they just absolutely wipe the floor with me when I make contact with them? Given how NPR generation works per the wiki, it seems like their tech will be vastly greater than my own.   Any clever ways to surmount this? by "clever" I mean something cleverer than "cheat and purchase a bunch of techs right now to catch up". . . but I'll do that if I have to.

Well, you could always make every race a player race...

I believe, but cannot confirm in a test game due to the naturally low rate of generating new races, that if you uncheck the box for "Generate new races as NPRs" in the game settings, it will still let you select to create the race as a NPR after you tweak its settings in accordance with your preferences. You can try to use that to limit how much tech the NPRs have.

Your other option of course is to roleplay the whole "humanity meets superior alien race" thing, although this requires some luck i.e. hoping the NPR is not the kind who turns immediately hostile and kills you. Even then, it is not impossible for a technologically inferior player race to put up a good fight against an NPR using clever tactics - as Steve has recently showed in his Gothic campaign.

Offline The0didactus

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2103 on: August 14, 2021, 08:14:41 PM »
yeah I think I might just be RPing it.  I'm anticipating this campaign to generate a lot of spinoff factions of humanity, and that might generate most of the ship-to-ship combat etc

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2104 on: August 14, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
The rules post for planetary terrain from way back in 2017 says:

Ground units of species with certain types of home world may gain capabilities for free (if you are from a desert planet, you would gain Desert Warfare for free, for example).

Has this in fact been implemented? I don't see this information listed anywhere -- you certainly don't get the tech for free, and I don't see any such information on my ground units. If this is actually implemented, can you stack bonuses with the techs as well?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2105 on: August 15, 2021, 05:05:31 AM »
The rules post for planetary terrain from way back in 2017 says:

Ground units of species with certain types of home world may gain capabilities for free (if you are from a desert planet, you would gain Desert Warfare for free, for example).

Has this in fact been implemented? I don't see this information listed anywhere -- you certainly don't get the tech for free, and I don't see any such information on my ground units. If this is actually implemented, can you stack bonuses with the techs as well?

No, it wasn't implemented. I just haven't got around to it.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2106 on: August 16, 2021, 12:56:12 AM »
I'm trying to change the settings for my game. Specifically I want to change the Construction Cycle Time from 430000 (5 days) to 86400 (1 day), but each time I change it and save settings, I open again the settings and 430000 is set..

Am I missing something?

EDITED: Nevermind, I realized that I just needed to restart the game and the new settings are applied.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:03:03 AM by idefelipe »

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #2107 on: August 16, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
My observation with this problem is, that you have to save the changes in the options menu first and then save the game.

Q of myself:

Changing the armor quality changes the price of a ground unit. For static units there are three different armor qualities available. These affect the build cost and the armor quality by x1/x1, x2/x2 and x3/x3. This is perfectly fine when it comes to ground units. When it comes to STOs, the difference in resource cost is close to 0 between the options, while the build time is significantly different. This does not make sense to me. What do you guys think?

PS: pro tip when writing on linux and you need a Q; do not accidentally hit the crtl key

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #2108 on: August 16, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
I have an ECCM installed on my ship but I cant select it in the ship combat.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2109 on: August 16, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »
I have an ECCM installed on my ship but I cant select it in the ship combat.

--- Put that in the v1.13 Bugs.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2110 on: August 16, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »
Q of myself:

Changing the armor quality changes the price of a ground unit. For static units there are three different armor qualities available. These affect the build cost and the armor quality by x1/x1, x2/x2 and x3/x3. This is perfectly fine when it comes to ground units. When it comes to STOs, the difference in resource cost is close to 0 between the options, while the build time is significantly different. This does not make sense to me. What do you guys think?

I think it is okay. There are a few other places where BP cost =/= mineral cost in Aurora, although we could argue that this should be considered inconsistent. In any case I think it is reasonable for STOs, as a necessary balancing factor to make putting armor on them very unappealing. Armor on STOs makes an already strong unit much stronger so it should come at a high cost. However, doubling/tripling the mineral cost would be quite excessive and wouldn't make much sense.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2111 on: August 16, 2021, 09:52:13 PM »
What happens to officers in lifepods that are "rescued" by an enemy? I know the game tracks POWs in populations, so that when you conquer an alien population that has your POWs it'll give you a nice notification about all the prisoners you rescued (although it seems to still list them as POWs on the population summary screen). Does this extend to captured officers, or are they shuffled off to some gulag somewhere, never to be seen again?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2112 on: August 17, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
What happens to officers in lifepods that are "rescued" by an enemy? I know the game tracks POWs in populations, so that when you conquer an alien population that has your POWs it'll give you a nice notification about all the prisoners you rescued (although it seems to still list them as POWs on the population summary screen). Does this extend to captured officers, or are they shuffled off to some gulag somewhere, never to be seen again?
Captured officers are forever lost. Rescued prisoners are not returned to manpower pool either, if I remember correctly - they are forever stuck in the colony. Same for enemy prisoners that you take.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #2113 on: August 18, 2021, 10:44:28 AM »
That's (almost certainly) what should be happening; but unless it's been fixed in the latest version that Steve's working on, the actual behavior in v13 is that captured commanders get thrown back into your pool.

Evidence: I've currently got a captain commanding one of my ships who has a "ship destroyed" in his history, who was left behind in an NPR home system when the fleet was forced to retreat.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2114 on: August 18, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
That's (almost certainly) what should be happening; but unless it's been fixed in the latest version that Steve's working on, the actual behavior in v13 is that captured commanders get thrown back into your pool.

Evidence: I've currently got a captain commanding one of my ships who has a "ship destroyed" in his history, who was left behind in an NPR home system when the fleet was forced to retreat.

I believe this is a bug which happens because commanders in life pods can be immediately reassigned in which case they magically teleport from their life pod to their new command.

The following users thanked this post: serger