Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361628 times)

Offline Migi

• Captain
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2475 on: February 08, 2022, 09:20:28 AM »
Is there any case where a deep-space station is a better choice for something like a gas station or population center over just using some barren rock?
Sometimes it's better to have something stationary rather than something that can end up in an off position of a jump point or a colony due to its own orbit.

That's true, but if you want a dedicated station you could make one with a normal refuelling module, the difference would be 10k RP, 99kT, 2300 BP vs the ability to refuel more than one ship at once. You can get the ability to refuel more than one ship by building more stations.
I don't think I've ever been in a situation where 10k research points couldn't be spent on something vastly more important (which is similar to why I almost never get around to using the new CNC modules).

Also, is there any way to get civilians to deliver fuel to said space station? (i actually forget whether civilians can deliver fuel at all...)

Civilians don't deliver fuel, but your own tankers can refuel from the harvesters and transfer that fuel to a station or colony.

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2476 on: February 09, 2022, 05:44:09 PM »
How do you fire two stage sensor buoys? I've got an external torpedo that has a range of 100 m and an internal sensor buoy without an engine, but with a powerful sensor.
I am about 10m km from the JP I want the sensor buoy to watch. When I create a waypoint on the JP and assign it as a target for my FC, the missile launcher won't fire. What gives?

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #2477 on: February 10, 2022, 09:49:30 AM »
How can I suspend my disbelief over ships needing fuel and not just using fusion generators or something with virtually unlimited range?

I know its because we are using magic rocks to do trans-Newtonian physics, but I try to ignore that aspect of the games 'lore'. To me, Sorium is just hydrogen used to power the ships, but then we are back to asking why we need hydrogen at all when we have nuclear or even antimatter.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2478 on: February 10, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »
How can I suspend my disbelief over ships needing fuel and not just using fusion generators or something with virtually unlimited range?

I know its because we are using magic rocks to do trans-Newtonian physics, but I try to ignore that aspect of the games 'lore'. To me, Sorium is just hydrogen used to power the ships, but then we are back to asking why we need hydrogen at all when we have nuclear or even antimatter.

It is not difficult actually. The types of engines represented in Aurora, at least through fusion tier, are essentially rocket engines which means they need some kind of propellant which can be expelled out the back end to provide delta-V. The giant fission/fusion reactor that makes up the engine essentially serves as a mechanism to expel that propellant out the back end with as much force as possible. In some engine designs the fuel and propellant may be the same things, in other cases they might be different materials.

In this sense maybe calling the refined sorium "fuel" is a misnomer but by now it is what it is.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #2479 on: February 10, 2022, 10:06:54 AM »

It is not difficult actually. The types of engines represented in Aurora, at least through fusion tier, are essentially rocket engines which means they need some kind of propellant which can be expelled out the back end to provide delta-V. The giant fission/fusion reactor that makes up the engine essentially serves as a mechanism to expel that propellant out the back end with as much force as possible. In some engine designs the fuel and propellant may be the same things, in other cases they might be different materials.

In this sense maybe calling the refined sorium "fuel" is a misnomer but by now it is what it is.

I suppose you could also think of Sorium as reactor coolant. In Fallout, all the gas stations are actually coolant stations cuz all the cars are nuclear powered.

Then again, I'd have to wonder why I need to go all the way to Saturn just to get a decent supply of fancy foam.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2480 on: February 10, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »
How do you fire two stage sensor buoys? I've got an external torpedo that has a range of 100 m and an internal sensor buoy without an engine, but with a powerful sensor.
I am about 10m km from the JP I want the sensor buoy to watch. When I create a waypoint on the JP and assign it as a target for my FC, the missile launcher won't fire. What gives?
I had no problems doing the exact same thing in my previous game.
The only thing I can think of is that the ship is reloading, or suffering from jump shock.
Is the torpedo launcher a box launcher?

If the setting and/or mechanics of the game are causing you distress, you should stop playing and find something else to do.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2481 on: February 10, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »

--- Have you tried hitting the "Open Fire" button?

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2482 on: February 10, 2022, 06:05:00 PM »

Yes I have... Maybe it's a bug, I took screenshots:
So, we can see the GSV Zeus sitting right on top of the waypoint I want to fire at. We can also see that the FC is set to open fire and has the waypoint as a target.
Here's the design of the torpedo carrying the sensor buoy:
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 2.9988 MSP  (7.49700 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 12
Speed: 5,002 km/s     Fuel: 140     1st Stage Flight Time: 19 hours    1st Stage Range: 345.3m km
2nd Stage Flight Time: 1 seconds    2nd Stage Range: 0k km
Cost Per Missile: 1.15824     Development Cost: 116
Second Stage: Vandis Electronics Vox Sensor Buoy R100-5m x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 0 km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 60.0%   3k km/s 20.0%   5k km/s 12.0%   10k km/s 6.0%
And here's the sensor buoy itself:
Missile Size: 2.055 MSP  (5.1375 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 0     Flight Time: 1 seconds     Range: 0 km
EM Sensor Strength: 0.52    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5,700,877 km
Cost Per Missile: 0.832     Development Cost: 83
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%

Last but not least, the FC used:
Orcus Electronics Missile Fire Control FC15-R1
Resolution 1   Range vs 50 ton object (or larger) Range 15.5m km    MCR 1.4m km   
Range vs 1000 ton object 15.5m km
Range vs 250 ton object 15.5m km
Signature vs Passive Detection: 38
Cost 37.8   Size 90 tons   Crew 4   HTK 1

I really don't know what's going on... please have a look dear veterans :(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:08:52 PM by CaiusIuliusCaesar »

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2483 on: February 10, 2022, 06:56:13 PM »

Yes I have... Maybe it's a bug, I took screenshots:
So, we can see the GSV Zeus sitting right on top of the waypoint I want to fire at. We can also see that the FC is set to open fire and has the waypoint as a target.
Here's the design of the torpedo carrying the sensor buoy:
Missile Size: 2.9988 MSP  (7.49700 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 12
Speed: 5,002 km/s     Fuel: 140     1st Stage Flight Time: 19 hours    1st Stage Range: 345.3m km
2nd Stage Flight Time: 1 seconds    2nd Stage Range: 0k km
Cost Per Missile: 1.15824     Development Cost: 116
Second Stage: Vandis Electronics Vox Sensor Buoy R100-5m x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 0 km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 60.0%   3k km/s 20.0%   5k km/s 12.0%   10k km/s 6.0%
And here's the sensor buoy itself:
Missile Size: 2.055 MSP  (5.1375 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 0     Flight Time: 1 seconds     Range: 0 km
EM Sensor Strength: 0.52    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5,700,877 km
Cost Per Missile: 0.832     Development Cost: 83
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%

Last but not least, the FC used:
Orcus Electronics Missile Fire Control FC15-R1
Resolution 1   Range vs 50 ton object (or larger) Range 15.5m km    MCR 1.4m km   
Range vs 1000 ton object 15.5m km
Range vs 250 ton object 15.5m km
Signature vs Passive Detection: 38
Cost 37.8   Size 90 tons   Crew 4   HTK 1

I really don't know what's going on... please have a look dear veterans :(

--- Ya gotta load the tube. :P Click & Drag the missile to the launcher to load it.

The following users thanked this post: CaiusIuliusCaesar

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2484 on: February 10, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »
--- Ya gotta load the tube. :P Click & Drag the missile to the launcher to load it.

I'll take "Things That Get Me Every Time" for $400, Alex...

The following users thanked this post: CaiusIuliusCaesar

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #2485 on: February 10, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
Not really a game specific question.

But in game, if you have a conventional start. The general assumption is that your species discovers and begins researching TransNewtonian materials (like Duranium and Sorium), and integrates them in everything form industry to ship design. Before this, your species one would assume builds most of their stuff out of traditional/conventional Newtonian materials.

Assuming that after you maxed out the research tree, a new option came available. After decades possibly centuries of exploring the stars and interacting with other spacefaring races... a new material was discovered. One that was so worldchanging, it was like TNs were to your conventional race.

The hell would you call them? SuperNewtonian? SubNewtonian? PostNewtonian?

Offline LuuBluum

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • L
« Reply #2486 on: February 10, 2022, 10:17:11 PM »
Not really a game specific question.

But in game, if you have a conventional start. The general assumption is that your species discovers and begins researching TransNewtonian materials (like Duranium and Sorium), and integrates them in everything form industry to ship design. Before this, your species one would assume builds most of their stuff out of traditional/conventional Newtonian materials.

Assuming that after you maxed out the research tree, a new option came available. After decades possibly centuries of exploring the stars and interacting with other spacefaring races... a new material was discovered. One that was so worldchanging, it was like TNs were to your conventional race.

The hell would you call them? SuperNewtonian? SubNewtonian? PostNewtonian?
I suppose it would entirely depend on the properties of these new, magical materials. TN materials are only that because they behave under classical Newtonian physics in situations where they have no business doing so. Whatever other materials can be thrown into the game would have to have properties that go beyond even that, and then once those details are worked out can a name be derived from the results.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2487 on: February 10, 2022, 10:17:29 PM »
In the lore, the basis for all the TN handwavium good and respectable science is the Aether dimension. Presumably any next big leap in science would be beyond that Aether dimension, so we could call it Trans-Aetheric for example.

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2488 on: February 11, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »

Oh man, I feel so stupid right now. Many thanks! Is this something buoy-specific? I remember launching my box launchers without loading missiles into them... Come to think of it, that's probably because box launchers already have the missiles inside... Makes sense...

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2489 on: February 11, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
You do have to load box launchers unless you gave ships default loadout at the design phase in which case they are automatically loaded during construction.