Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361460 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2505 on: February 16, 2022, 10:04:01 AM »
--- If I build a GSF with shields and it takes AA fire, does the shield function against it like it would normal ship to ship fire or does Ground-Based AA bypass shields? Does ECM lower the to-hit chance of enemy Ground AA as well?

Shields will work, since ground AA damage is applied as normal damage with the gradient-1 (missile/plasma) damage profile. ECM I don't think works since ground AA does not have a corresponding ECCM capability.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2506 on: February 16, 2022, 11:45:11 AM »
--- If I build a GSF with shields and it takes AA fire, does the shield function against it like it would normal ship to ship fire or does Ground-Based AA bypass shields? Does ECM lower the to-hit chance of enemy Ground AA as well?

Shields will work, since ground AA damage is applied as normal damage with the gradient-1 (missile/plasma) damage profile. ECM I don't think works since ground AA does not have a corresponding ECCM capability.

--- Do you happen to know if shield recharge is counted across the 8-hour ground combat span? Basically, do shields provide protection equal to their listed shield strength or do they provide protection equal to eight hours' worth of shields. I mean, a 1 strength shield with a 30 second recharge would provide 960 shields over eight hours, so that'd end up being a lot of survivability tbh...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2507 on: February 16, 2022, 09:17:29 PM »
--- Do you happen to know if shield recharge is counted across the 8-hour ground combat span? Basically, do shields provide protection equal to their listed shield strength or do they provide protection equal to eight hours' worth of shields. I mean, a 1 strength shield with a 30 second recharge would provide 960 shields over eight hours, so that'd end up being a lot of survivability tbh...

It should be the listed shield strength, but since ground AA (and GSFs for that matter) fires only once every eight hours the shields would recharge to full between ground combat increments. Basically once an AA shot hits a GSF it is modeled as a missile/plasma hit with whatever amount of damage and handled according to the usual ship damage mechanics (including shock, which is one of the major issues facing GSFs).

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2508 on: February 16, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »
What happens if my nation does not have enough wealth and stays on the negative?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2509 on: February 16, 2022, 09:50:56 PM »
What happens if my nation does not have enough wealth and stays on the negative?

There will be a malus to economic production. Per the wiki (VB6 page, unchanged in C# as far as I know):
Quote from: Aurora Wiki
Modifiers
  • Economic Production Modifier (EPM): If a race is using deficit spending (i.e. its wealth is lower than zero), then any installations that use resources operate at a lower output, based on the size of the deficit compared to an Empire’s annual wealth production. The EPM shows the percentage of normal output.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2510 on: February 18, 2022, 07:36:17 PM »
So I found 1200 abandoned installations on Callisto. Now I've had two divisions of xeno teams and two construction divisions on the planet for about a decade now and nothing happens.. Do I need to order the troops to do something?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2511 on: February 18, 2022, 07:38:09 PM »
So I found 1200 abandoned installations on Callisto. Now I've had two divisions of xeno teams and two construction divisions on the planet for about a decade now and nothing happens.. Do I need to order the troops to do something?

How big are your Xeno divisions? A decade sounds like an excessively long time, but not impossible especially with smaller formations since translating the ruins is a probabilistic mechanic.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2512 on: February 18, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »
I actually think that the chance of surveying a ruin is also based on the overall number of installations and 1200 is on the large size. So it might just be a good idea to bring more xeno surveyors to the site.

Edit: I have been corrected by Steve apparently size does not affect chance.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 11:24:34 AM by Droll »

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2513 on: February 18, 2022, 09:30:55 PM »
Every division is 10.000 tons of troops in this playthrough. I guess I'll build a few more divisions, then...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2514 on: February 18, 2022, 09:39:38 PM »
You could also try using a transport to pick them up and put them back down again. If there is some weird bug going on it might reset it, otherwise it might have a placebo effect.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2515 on: February 19, 2022, 04:52:37 AM »
Every division is 10.000 tons of troops in this playthrough. I guess I'll build a few more divisions, then...

How many Xenoarchaeology points does the whole formation give you? How many for all of the formations on the planet?

The probability that you still won’t have deciphered the ruins is (1−(X/100)*(5/365))^T, where X is the number of points on the planet and T is the number of construction cycles that have passed (assuming you are using the standard 5–day construction cycle). With 40 points on the planet and a decade of time, that’s (1−0.4*(5/365))⁷³⁰ = 0.018. While somewhat small, that probability is not actually 0%. Perhaps you got unlucky, or you have fewer than 40 Xenoarchaeology points on the planet.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg111167#msg111167

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, Agraelgrimm

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2516 on: February 19, 2022, 05:56:34 AM »
I actually think that the chance of surveying a ruin is also based on the overall number of installations and 1200 is on the large size. So it might just be a good idea to bring more xeno surveyors to the site.

The chance isn't affected by the size of the ruin.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2517 on: February 20, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
I was looking at my civilian administrators and lamenting that I have a grand total of 4 who have an admin rating of 5 or higher (two at 7, one each at 6 and 5). By contrast I have 39 who have an admin rating of 4 or lower.  :P

If I have an academy led by a civilian administrator, does he/she give graduates a re-roll for their admin rating? If so what admin rating is needed to get the re-roll?

On a related note, can scientists get a re-roll for their research admin rating? This is more likely to be relevant for people playing with the new optional lower limits on research admin.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2518 on: February 20, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »
I was looking at my civilian administrators and lamenting that I have a grand total of 4 who have an admin rating of 5 or higher (two at 7, one each at 6 and 5). By contrast I have 39 who have an admin rating of 4 or lower.  :P

If I have an academy led by a civilian administrator, does he/she give graduates a re-roll for their admin rating? If so what admin rating is needed to get the re-roll?

On a related note, can scientists get a re-roll for their research admin rating? This is more likely to be relevant for people playing with the new optional lower limits on research admin.

Unsure on the questions asked - I think there should be a re-roll but those skills are a bit odd.

However I would like to note that it would be nice if civilian admins actually improved their admin rating over time, like a promotion of sorts. It's weird that "ability to manage millions of people" is not a skill that improves with practice.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2519 on: February 20, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »

Unsure on the questions asked - I think there should be a re-roll but those skills are a bit odd.

However I would like to note that it would be nice if civilian admins actually improved their admin rating over time, like a promotion of sorts. It's weird that "ability to manage millions of people" is not a skill that improves with practice.

Admin rating can increase via experience, I had a look in my logs and found an example of it happening to an assigned administrator. I assume this means it can also happen via blind luck/evening college classes.

I have 6 academies in total but they have ground and naval commanders because I've been desperate to increase those types. I was thinking of taking 1 and putting it under a civilian administrator, I just wanted to know if picking a high admin rating would help.