Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361441 times)

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2550 on: March 01, 2022, 06:18:14 AM »
your formation generates 1 point every day meaning it needs 1400 days to survey or 3 years and 10 months.

AS far as i know multiple survey teams don't stack so you are wasting one of you teams as they do nothing for you

Multiple survey units and formations in the same location absolutely do stack.

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2551 on: March 01, 2022, 07:24:56 AM »
your formation generates 1 point every day meaning it needs 1400 days to survey or 3 years and 10 months.

AS far as i know multiple survey teams don't stack so you are wasting one of you teams as they do nothing for you

Time taken so far has already exceeded 3 years and 177 days.

I believe skoormit is correct but I will leave the formations in place as an experiment and see how long they take. My guess is just under 10 years if they stack and 20 if they dont. But if its 3yr10mo I will report back.

Hehe, could be a long wait. There will be questions in the UN assembly and calls for a survey policy revision I dont doubt!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:26:32 AM by boolybooly »

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #2552 on: March 01, 2022, 09:23:44 AM »
Question about shield design:

When a ship's "shields" and "regen" are calculated, does each generator track separately, or are they added up as a total?

like, (example) if I have 1 size-10 generator and 4 size-1 generators, but due to tech variance in when they were designed, the stats are:

Size 10:  1 shield per 5-second regen, 100 shields max
Size 1:  1 shield per 5-second regen, 25 shields max

Do the 4 size 1 generators each just recharge themselves, resulting in a ship that recharges from 0 to max in 100 5-second increments, or do the 4 size-1 generators regen bleed into a "total" value, resulting in a ship that recharges from 0 to max in 40 5-second increments?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2553 on: March 01, 2022, 09:41:33 AM »
It is not possible to have multiple types of shield generator on a ship, you can only have multiples of the same type. Thus there is no distinction between recharging individual generators or over the entire ship for any practical purposes.

There is also not really a reason to have multiple types anyways, as larger generators are always strictly more efficient, and the only reason to use a generator smaller than the maximum possible size is if you want to have multiple generators for redundancy on a smaller ship. This is because shield regeneration scales linearly with size while shield strength scales as the 3/2 power of size. Thus, a ship with a single size-20 (for example) generator will have about 40% more shield power than a ship with two size-10 generators of the same tech level, and both ships will regenerate the same total amount of shield points per increment (barring any weird edge cases of integer rounding).

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2554 on: March 01, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »

Time taken so far has already exceeded 3 years and 177 days.

I believe skoormit is correct but I will leave the formations in place as an experiment and see how long they take. My guess is just under 10 years if they stack and 20 if they dont. But if its 3yr10mo I will report back.

Hehe, could be a long wait. There will be questions in the UN assembly and calls for a survey policy revision I dont doubt!

OK it completed on 15 May 0050 and started on 22 August 0046 so that is 3 years and 8.5 months (1361 days) with avg 20% survey boni over the last three months only.

So it does look closer to cdrtwohy's prediction than any other estimate, based on one point per day, which implies the formations did not stack. I will have to test this.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2555 on: March 01, 2022, 04:38:06 PM »
Survey teams don't stack? Is that confirmed?
Wouldn't that nudge one to build the largest single formation possible/transportable? Also, it would be hard to come up with an ingame RP reason for why 100 survey trucks of one large organization are only 20(in total) when divided into 5 different formations, even though they are still at the same place, tasked with the same job.
I suppose there could be inefficiency due to overlapping authority in command hierarchy, but certainly not as much so that only one team can work effectively at all.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2556 on: March 01, 2022, 04:47:11 PM »
The general rules are here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107705#msg107705

IF units at the same population are not stacking, then it is a bug, pure and simple.

To confirm all you have to do is check how many points are generated by all your formations and check how many survey points you'll require to complete the survey.

After that do the math and verify.

Please post as a bug if the verification doesn't give you the expected results.

Please note: Remember to add the commander bonus to the equation. Those currently don't stack - fixed for 2.0

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #2557 on: March 02, 2022, 04:07:14 AM »
It is not possible to have multiple types of shield generator on a ship, you can only have multiples of the same type. Thus there is no distinction between recharging individual generators or over the entire ship for any practical purposes.

There is also not really a reason to have multiple types anyways, as larger generators are always strictly more efficient, and the only reason to use a generator smaller than the maximum possible size is if you want to have multiple generators for redundancy on a smaller ship. This is because shield regeneration scales linearly with size while shield strength scales as the 3/2 power of size. Thus, a ship with a single size-20 (for example) generator will have about 40% more shield power than a ship with two size-10 generators of the same tech level, and both ships will regenerate the same total amount of shield points per increment (barring any weird edge cases of integer rounding).

Depending on your answer, I may have had a followup question.  That why I asked ;p

Offline cdrtwohy

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #2558 on: March 02, 2022, 05:33:15 AM »
The general rules are here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107705#msg107705

IF units at the same population are not stacking, then it is a bug, pure and simple.

To confirm all you have to do is check how many points are generated by all your formations and check how many survey points you'll require to complete the survey.

After that do the math and verify.

Please post as a bug if the verification doesn't give you the expected results.

Please note: Remember to add the commander bonus to the equation. Those currently don't stack - fixed for 2.0

I don't think it is a bug, each formation is independent of each other and each one is incrementing independent of each other until they reach the required survey points

construction formations on ruins do the same except they each roll their chance to recover

Survey ships do the same in space (as far as i can tell)

independent units are treated as independent throughout the code base'

But id be interested to see what Steve says on this

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2559 on: March 02, 2022, 06:02:24 AM »

I don't think it is a bug, each formation is independent of each other and each one is incrementing independent of each other until they reach the required survey points

This is absolutely a bug. The database tracks the remaining geo survey points per body. It does not track how much survey work any given unit or formation has performed over time.

construction formations on ruins do the same except they each roll their chance to recover

The per-turn excavation chance for ruins is probabilistic, but it is still a single aggregated chance based on the total XENO points produced per turn. Not a separate roll for each unit.

Survey ships do the same in space (as far as i can tell)

Sort of.
The database tracks the points remaining for a survey location with the surveying fleet's move order.
After a fleet starts a survey, if it does anything else before finishing that survey, all the progress is lost.
So if you need to replace a survey ship before it finishes, make sure to send another ship to join that fleet first, and then detach the original ship.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2560 on: March 02, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »
Do Fighter Factories get a construction bonus from the governor's Shipbuilding bonus or Production bonus?
What bonus affects Ordnance Factories?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2561 on: March 03, 2022, 11:45:39 PM »
Do Fighter Factories get a construction bonus from the governor's Shipbuilding bonus or Production bonus?
What bonus affects Ordnance Factories?

Production.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Fighter_Factory
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ordnance_Factory

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, Migi, nuclearslurpee

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2562 on: March 04, 2022, 06:16:40 PM »
Why can't this shop jump? I know that it has a commercial engine and a military jump drive, but I was under the impression that military jump drives can make any ship jump (no matter the engine type) as long as the tonnage is appropriate:
Code: [Select]
Hawking III M class Gravitational Survey Vessel      16,405 tons       477 Crew       2,263.5 BP       TCS 328    TH 800    EM 0
2438 km/s    JR 4-50      Armour 1-57       Shields 0-0       HTK 115      Sensors 0/0/1/1      DCR 38      PPV 2.7
Maint Life 5.86 Years     MSP 3,277    AFR 57%    IFR 0.8%    1YR 163    5YR 2,439    Max Repair 790.7 MSP
Magazine 109   
Captain    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 60 months    Morale Check Required   

Martellus-Ardias J20000(4-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 20000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 4

Pertinax-Tigurius Commercial Magneto-plasma Drive  EP800.00 (1)    Power 800    Fuel Use 3.35%    Signature 800    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 900,000 Litres    Range 294.4 billion km (1397 days at full power)

Vash & Vivar Ordnance Size 3.0 Missile Launcher (30.0% Reduction) (3)     Missile Size: 3    Rate of Fire 2600
Orcus Electronics Missile Fire Control FC15-R1 (1)     Range 15.5m km    Resolution 1
Vandis Electronics Vox Sensor Buoy Torpedo R100-5m (23)    Speed: 5,002 km/s    End: 958.9m     Range: 287.8m km    WH: 0    Size: 2.9988    TH: 18/11/5

Orion-Ventris Electronics Industries Active Search Sensor AS12-R2 (1)     GPS 120     Range 12.3m km    Resolution 2
Lexandro-Darillian Warning & Control Active Search Sensor AS53-R100 (1)     GPS 8400     Range 53.7m km    Resolution 100
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Survey Ship for auto-assignment purposes

Many thanks!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2563 on: March 04, 2022, 06:21:26 PM »
Why can't this shop jump? I know that it has a commercial engine and a military jump drive, but I was under the impression that military jump drives can make any ship jump (no matter the engine type) as long as the tonnage is appropriate:

Nope. Military jump drives can only jump military engines, commercial jump drives can only jump commercial engines. This is being, ahem, corrected in v2.0... finally...

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2564 on: March 04, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »

Nope. Military jump drives can only jump military engines, commercial jump drives can only jump commercial engines. This is being, ahem, corrected in v2.0... finally...

Many thanks!