Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361565 times)

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2655 on: May 18, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »
Does a twin gauss turret count as a single weapon for BFC design?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2656 on: May 18, 2022, 02:38:50 PM »
Yes.

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #2657 on: May 20, 2022, 01:18:54 AM »
Hey guys,
I just noticed, that some of the systems show up on the galactic map as 100% surveyed, yet when I go to system view window, some bodies are still unsurveyed, marked with an "U". (I guess my survey ships aborted their mission and had to return for refueling or something.) Why is that, and is there a way to find those systems somehow, withouth manually going through 500+ systems in system view?
(And no, at least one of those systems that I have found randomly, only had a few dozen bodies, so it's not a rounding error on the percentage count: even 3-4 unsurveyed bodies would make it a 90% or something.)

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2658 on: May 20, 2022, 04:06:37 AM »
I think you will find the bodies are over 16 billion kilometres away you will have to manually survey them. but be careful you might run out of fuel and  maintenance supplies

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #2659 on: May 20, 2022, 05:44:37 AM »
I think you will find the bodies are over 16 billion kilometres away you will have to manually survey them. but be careful you might run out of fuel and  maintenance supplies
don't know how far they were, but they were moons of a planet, and half of them were surveyed, the other half weren't. that's why I think my survey ship ran out of deployment time or something and left the job. maybe they were que'd up for survey when the standing order to go back to a base kicked in and deleted the que'd jobs, and the game incorrectly assumed they are/were surveyed? dunno.
but the question is, why is the galactic map showing this as 100% surveyed when it is not? and in case there are other systems like that (not "truly" 100%), how do I find them?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2660 on: May 20, 2022, 07:46:10 AM »
Are you still on 1.12 (IIRC from the subreddit)? If so there was a bug related to system survey percentage fixed in 1.13:

Percentage of system body survey completed is now shown correctly on the system view window.

Might be related to that, I'd recommend seeing if the same thing happens in a 1.13 save. If so it may be worth a bug report.

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #2661 on: May 20, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »
that might be it. yes, still 1.12.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2662 on: May 21, 2022, 03:44:54 AM »
I rarely ever asked for tips because I like to figure everything out by myself, but this time it is dire. I recognize that carrier operations will vastly improve in 2.0, but for the current version I still would have liked to make the basics work at least.
In my current game I am attacked by very fast beam attackers which forced me to use fighters, and lots of them. Things were fine when they were just orbiting a planet in their respective formations, but now that they eventually have to be loaded up to carriers, serious issues show up again.
Previously I abandoned another game because I discovered how cumbersome the current process it, and that game was very fighter focused.(a WH40k Tau fleet) I thought I could perhaps do it now, but again I find no option to make it work in a reasonable fashion.
Overview of the 3 core problems:
  • Fighters don't retain organization. The new sub-fleets would be optimal for this job, but currently you can't use this mechanic for fighters, because docking a fighter fleet to ships or stations just lists them all at the highest hierarchy level, destroying the order of the fighter fleet. As a consequence you also cannot launch or detach them all at once, so if you have a still reasonable 50 fighter planes, you now have to go through them one by one upon launch, having to rebuild the entire squadron by hand.
  • Drag and Drop implementation is incomplete. There is no shift click to select multiple objects, and once an object is dragged, there is no scrolling the list. This makes weapon assignment problematic, but also rears its head with a long fighter ship list. E.g. if there are some fighters in the middle of the list, you cannot get them out by drag and drop, since the target fleet isn't visible on screen, and scrolling doesn't work while dragging.
  • Dragging to another fleet is not a launch. If you try to circumvent above problem by for example naming the target fleet similar to source fleet, so you can at least drag and drop the first or last ships in the list, you will instead discover that this bugs out the docking mechanic. Although you can still fly these fighters around, they technically still count as docked, which upon trying to target and open fire will bug out the game.(symptoms are "report window vanishing/not rebootable/gone" and "can't copy attack orders by usual means/ fleet open fire")
These points in combination mean that the only way to actually start a parasite (as far as I can see) is by clicking "detach". So if this is really all you can do, if you want to start a squadron of 50 planes to attack an enemy, you would have to click detach for 50 individual planes, and then order each plane/fleet to join into a fighter group and advance time to get it done.
So many clicks, and on every reload and attack run, you would have to do it all over again, madness.

In VB6, aside from squadrons etc. being in the game already, you could also direct individual ships/fleets en masse by copying orders from the leader, so this last procedure would at least have been bearable. If only shift-click was a thing (or any way to select multiple objects at once), all this would also already be much less troublesome, since I could just detach all needed fighters from a hangar at once into one fleet.
I spent time looking and looking, and I can't find a way to make -not just fighters- but all things hangar related work in a reasonable fashion. Maybe someone has a trick ready that I overlooked, but it seems the available tools to toy around with are very restricted to begin with.

/
Since the fighter troubles will be obsolete with the update to come, I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, so it is here.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2663 on: May 21, 2022, 04:35:34 AM »
Fighters don't retain organization. The new sub-fleets would be optimal for this job, but currently you can't use this mechanic for fighters, because docking a fighter fleet to ships or stations just lists them all at the highest hierarchy level, destroying the order of the fighter fleet. As a consequence you also cannot launch or detach them all at once, so if you have a still reasonable 50 fighter planes, you now have to go through them one by one upon launch, having to rebuild the entire squadron by hand.
I thought you could do this by using join as sub-fleet (maybe once they've been assigned a mothership?).

Drag and Drop implementation is incomplete. There is no shift click to select multiple objects, and once an object is dragged, there is no scrolling the list. This makes weapon assignment problematic, but also rears its head with a long fighter ship list. E.g. if there are some fighters in the middle of the list, you cannot get them out by drag and drop, since the target fleet isn't visible on screen, and scrolling doesn't work while dragging.
I might have missed it but I don't think this will change for the next version.

Dragging to another fleet is not a launch
I thought you could do this by selecting the sub-fleet and clicking detach.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #2664 on: May 21, 2022, 05:18:08 AM »
You can shift/ctrl-select in the fleet window and detach the parasites from there.
Select the parent fleet on the left, then shift/ctrl+click around in the ship list in the middle. Click detach. 

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2665 on: May 21, 2022, 07:35:27 AM »
>> I have unearthed 4x 25cm UV C4 laser, brought them back to Earth to disassemble but do not get any points. Can anyone explain why?

Is it possible that it is a 20cm Spinal laser, not an actual 25cm laser? That would give an effective aperture of 25cm, but no research towards 25cm tech.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2666 on: May 21, 2022, 08:03:40 AM »
You can shift/ctrl-select in the fleet window and detach the parasites from there.
Select the parent fleet on the left, then shift/ctrl+click around in the ship list in the middle. Click detach.
Wow, I looked everywhere but didn't realize this was possible. Thank you, that pretty much settles all the problems.

I thought you could do this by using join as sub-fleet (maybe once they've been assigned a mothership?).
If you do that, they will not land on the mothership. In VB6 there was a button that would let you land all parasites that were in the fleet but not landed, but it doesn't seem to be here yet, so just joining the fleet (sub or not) wont help.

Drag and Drop implementation is incomplete. There is no shift click to select multiple objects, and once an object is dragged, there is no scrolling the list. This makes weapon assignment problematic, but also rears its head with a long fighter ship list. E.g. if there are some fighters in the middle of the list, you cannot get them out by drag and drop, since the target fleet isn't visible on screen, and scrolling doesn't work while dragging.
I might have missed it but I don't think this will change for the next version.
You are correct that this is still not planned. However, I meant that all the other changes to fighter mechanics will make it so this isn't a problem anymore. ..At least concerning fleet managements, concerning FC-setup detailing however... .

Dragging to another fleet is not a launch
I thought you could do this by selecting the sub-fleet and clicking detach.
If you already landed all craft, then you could create a sub fleet afterwards and drag all relevant fighters into it. This sub-fleet could then be launched via detach at once, which is definitely an easier solution than to individually detach them, but still cumbersome.
You cannot however to my knowledge land a squadron as a sub fleet and then re-launch it as you please, because depending how you do it, sub-structure is either eliminated upon docking or you have sub-fleets but nobody docked.

Anyway, what Rince Wind said solves this mostly. I would prefer the sub-fleets to be working, but that is coming next update, so for now a functioning multi-selection detach command is working well enough.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2667 on: May 21, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
If you already landed all craft, then you could create a sub fleet afterwards and drag all relevant fighters into it. This sub-fleet could then be launched via detach at once, which is definitely an easier solution than to individually detach them, but still cumbersome.
You cannot however to my knowledge land a squadron as a sub fleet and then re-launch it as you please, because depending how you do it, sub-structure is either eliminated upon docking or you have sub-fleets but nobody docked.

Anyway, what Rince Wind said solves this mostly. I would prefer the sub-fleets to be working, but that is coming next update, so for now a functioning multi-selection detach command is working well enough.

You can actually make this work but it is a bit cumbersome.

Basically there are two steps needed. The first is to land a fighter squadron on a mothership and assign them to that mothership ("Land on Specified Mothership(+ Assign)"). This is the cumbersome part as there is unfortunately no way to keep fighters as a sub-fleet when doing this, the necessary order is inexplicably missing.

However, once fighters have an assigned mothership and are re-grouped as a squadron (using the helpful Shift/Ctrl-clicking as Rince Wind pointed out), the order "Land on Assigned Mothership as Sub-Fleet" will preserve the squadron sub-fleet. This means that as long as you keep your squadrons on the same ship and do not hop them around from one carrier to another very often, you will be able to keep them as a sub-fleet once the assignment step above is done once, every time after that is much easier.

There are still many problems with the sub-fleets, notably they tend to break easily if you combine fleets with carriers together or move carriers between fleets. Hopefully the squadron feature in 2.0 solves many of these problems, for now it remains very annoying. I am also looking forward to the ability to prevent commander assignment to specific classes as fighter-heavy fleets tend to not play nice with your limited number of officers.

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2668 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:13 AM »
Is "Avoid combat" checkbox in GU creation screen means, that unit will never be shot at, unless there are combatant units in formation, or rather it would still be in danger?
If it's not a complete protection, then is it at lest lowering the chance of getting shot at?
I wasn't able to find answer on wiki, so sorry if it was there and I missed it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2669 on: May 24, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »
Is "Avoid combat" checkbox in GU creation screen means, that unit will never be shot at, unless there are combatant units in formation, or rather it would still be in danger?
If it's not a complete protection, then is it at lest lowering the chance of getting shot at?
I wasn't able to find answer on wiki, so sorry if it was there and I missed it.

Can't locate the source for this at the moment, but the effect of the "Avoid Combat" checkbox is that a unit is 1/4 as likely to be targeted by enemy fire, but also has only 25% of the normal chance to hit if it fires during a ground combat phase. Note that STO weapons are not affected by this malus - your STOs should usually have the checkbox ticked. Otherwise it is good for keeping your non-combat units - HQs, FFD, LOG, etc. - from being shot at.