Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361694 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2760 on: July 10, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »
The EM sensor part of an AS sensor is only there to receive the signal from the active transmitter but as xenocepter said, it does nothing on its own. You need to have a separate EM sensor to act as a passive sensor.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2761 on: July 11, 2022, 06:10:41 AM »
Did missile design research costs get doubled at some point?

I just designed a new missile.
The designer window said development cost = 58 (as did AurCalc), but the Economics -> Research tab shows the cost as 117.
Interestingly, the displayed costs of the missiles I have previously researched are also doubled.
I'm not sure if they were doubled at the time I researched them...I may just not have noticed.

Costs for other research items are not doubled. Just missiles.

Research Speed setting in this game is 100 (not that I think this would change the cost).

Could something else be causing the cost of missile research to double?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2762 on: July 20, 2022, 03:25:54 AM »
The recent "interesting names" thread and some current developments have inspired me to try to create my own naming theme. I would try to create some bombastic German name theme, you know, like they sound in Anime - "Reinhard von Lohengramm", "Roderick Kronstedter" etc., thunderous names that immediately summon into your head an image of a straight and bearded physique of a WW1 U-Boat commander. Names like you would want them to sound, not the boring and disappointing reality where they are more like "Klaus Bierfreund".

I have tested this shortly, but accidentally saved an empty list which now appears under the race name themes even though there is nothing in it. Do I have to go into the database to delete it, or can name themes be overwritten by just using the same name the next time and selecting other files?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2763 on: July 20, 2022, 04:12:27 AM »
The recent "interesting names" thread and some current developments have inspired me to try to create my own naming theme. I would try to create some bombastic German name theme, you know, like they sound in Anime - "Reinhard von Lohengramm", "Roderick Kronstedter" etc., thunderous names that immediately summon into your head an image of a straight and bearded physique of a WW1 U-Boat commander. Names like you would want them to sound, not the boring and disappointing reality where they are more like "Klaus Bierfreund".

I have tested this shortly, but accidentally saved an empty list which now appears under the race name themes even though there is nothing in it. Do I have to go into the database to delete it, or can name themes be overwritten by just using the same name the next time and selecting other files?

Each theme is assigned a unique ID - the name isn't used for reference within the database. In other words - yes, you need to either delete it or ignore it.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2764 on: July 20, 2022, 06:26:35 AM »

The designer window said development cost = 58 (as did AurCalc), but the Economics -> Research tab shows the cost as 117.
Interestingly, the displayed costs of the missiles I have previously researched are also doubled.
I'm not sure if they were doubled at the time I researched them...I may just not have noticed.

Research Speed setting in this game is 100 (not that I think this would change the cost).

Probably a silly question, but you didn't check a checkbox in the design screen, or accidentally change a parameter, something like that?

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2765 on: July 20, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »

Probably a silly question, but you didn't check a checkbox in the design screen, or accidentally change a parameter, something like that?

No. I even used the topmost dropdown to load the design parameters for other missile designs.
The designer shows the correct cost, but the Research screen shows a higher cost.
Not always double, as it turns out.
I'm looking at one now where the designer says 77, but Research says 138.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2766 on: July 20, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
From Steve's post here:
For Missiles and non-STO Ground Units, the Development Cost has been changed to: SQRT(Cost * 25000)

From this, a missile which should cost 117 RP to develop has a build cost of 0.55 BP, which prior to 1.13 would imply a development cost of 55 RP (not quite 58 but close). Similarly, a missile costing 138 RP to develop has a build cost of 0.77 BP, or a development cost of 77 RP prior to 1.13.

This sounds like it is a display bug which should be reported in the bugs thread.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline trainhighway

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • t
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2767 on: July 21, 2022, 01:48:27 AM »
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there had been any update on when Steve might release the next version.  I'm getting pretty excited for all the new features and QoL stuff.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2768 on: July 21, 2022, 04:52:42 AM »
From Steve's post here:
For Missiles and non-STO Ground Units, the Development Cost has been changed to: SQRT(Cost * 25000)

From this, a missile which should cost 117 RP to develop has a build cost of 0.55 BP, which prior to 1.13 would imply a development cost of 55 RP (not quite 58 but close). Similarly, a missile costing 138 RP to develop has a build cost of 0.77 BP, or a development cost of 77 RP prior to 1.13.

This sounds like it is a display bug which should be reported in the bugs thread.

Don't know how I missed that, but it must be the answer.

A million thanks.

Can you say if it is affecting your game as well?
I have a very slightly modified database, so I avoid posting bugs unless other players confirm them.
In this case it seems like my database is correct and the display is incorrect, but I'd still rather be sure.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2769 on: July 21, 2022, 06:51:42 AM »
Is there a way to force a surrender of commercial ships, not that I want 150 outdated, slow and small freighters, but killing their crews feels, a bit un important...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2770 on: July 21, 2022, 07:42:31 AM »
You can try shooting them with low-damage weapons to not blow them up. Depending on the racial traits some fraction of their crews may surrender out of fear of imminent death.

Otherwise your option is basically to get some boarding parties out there and do some grunt work.

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2771 on: July 21, 2022, 02:30:52 PM »
Is there a way to force a surrender of commercial ships, not that I want 150 outdated, slow and small freighters, but killing their crews feels, a bit un important...

gauss weapons you have for PD work great for this. Though it is a bit micro-intensive firing only 1 gauss volley at a time.

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2772 on: July 23, 2022, 11:31:53 AM »
If I were to start a game with 6 player races and make 5 of them neutral races (no installations, etc. ), would that cause any significant issues (such as slowdown) later in the game? Furthermore, if I could build up a sufficient military force and occupy those neutral nations, could I later add their population to my own without incident?

Essentially, I want to model a mostly intact population of earth while operating with only a portion of that population, to maintain game balance, RPing the other races as fellow megastates without the capability or motivation for interstellar expansion.  Would this be possible, or would I be better off creating my primary player race and a single other neutral player race titled something like "Unaffiliated Nations"?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2773 on: July 23, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »
I would just do a single neutral race making up the unaffiliated population, and if you want to model population transfer over time just use SM mode to edit the population values whenever an "event" happens. It's not possible to transfer population between colonies except with colony ships so you may as well just use SM mode, in which case the actual number of neutral races is academic unless you specifically want to have ground combat between nations as part of the story.

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2774 on: July 24, 2022, 02:37:14 AM »
Is there a way to display survey locations after they were surveyed?