Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361630 times)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2925 on: August 24, 2022, 02:15:24 AM »
In VB Aurora, refueling was a straightforward issue...here it is not.  Why does there no "Move to fleet and refuel it" command exist?  Instead it is all "join and refuel" then nothing happens even after the command it stated to be carried out?  It gets even more complex when I attempt to refuel one tanker with another...then absolutely nothing happens.  There are drop down menues which should allow this but they seem to default to "refuel own fleet" ...  I must be missing something obvious...

I currently have a Spabrook class survey support ship with 800,000 l at 54% and I'm trying to refuel it with a Tidepool Tanker with 650,000 at 99.9% or so...both ships have refueling gear.  The Tidepool is in a subfeet attached to the Spabrook fleet.  Both ships are sitting at a jump point...I select the jumppoint and give the Spabrook fleet the command "refuel from own tankers" wait 8 hours and there is no change in fuel status.  The game tells me the command has been executed....but no fuel has moved into the Spabrook.

What am I not doing?  Oh right the minimum fuel on both ships is 10% of the tank size so not that.  Clearly this has to work...otherwise logistics fails bad but while I managed to refuel a survey command ships from the Spabrook refueling the Spabrook again from a tanker is apparently not possible.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2926 on: August 24, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
In VB Aurora, refueling was a straightforward issue...here it is not.  Why does there no "Move to fleet and refuel it" command exist?  Instead it is all "join and refuel" then nothing happens even after the command it stated to be carried out?  It gets even more complex when I attempt to refuel one tanker with another...then absolutely nothing happens.  There are drop down menues which should allow this but they seem to default to "refuel own fleet" ...  I must be missing something obvious...

I currently have a Spabrook class survey support ship with 800,000 l at 54% and I'm trying to refuel it with a Tidepool Tanker with 650,000 at 99.9% or so...both ships have refueling gear.  The Tidepool is in a subfeet attached to the Spabrook fleet.  Both ships are sitting at a jump point...I select the jumppoint and give the Spabrook fleet the command "refuel from own tankers" wait 8 hours and there is no change in fuel status.  The game tells me the command has been executed....but no fuel has moved into the Spabrook.

What am I not doing?  Oh right the minimum fuel on both ships is 10% of the tank size so not that.  Clearly this has to work...otherwise logistics fails bad but while I managed to refuel a survey command ships from the Spabrook refueling the Spabrook again from a tanker is apparently not possible.

The biggest thing that gets missed is setting the refuel priorities in the ship Class Design screen. You want your bulk fuel tankers to have a lower refuel priority than your fleet oilers for example. The tanker type with the lowest priority will be the one that does the refuelling. If you have multiple tankers with the same priority and don't want them to all refuel, turn off refuelling for the ones that you want to be topped off, and leave refuelling on for the tanker that's supposed to be emptied.

Yes, it's super annoying, and a command that allowed fuel transfer between fleets, instead of only within fleets, would be useful.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #2927 on: August 24, 2022, 03:07:25 AM »

The biggest thing that gets missed is setting the refuel priorities in the ship Class Design screen. You want your bulk fuel tankers to have a lower refuel priority than your fleet oilers for example. The tanker type with the lowest priority will be the one that does the refuelling. If you have multiple tankers with the same priority and don't want them to all refuel, turn off refuelling for the ones that you want to be topped off, and leave refuelling on for the tanker that's supposed to be emptied.

Yes, it's super annoying, and a command that allowed fuel transfer between fleets, instead of only within fleets, would be useful.

Also there are the individual ship commands you set for individual tanker ships (not movement orders, you select the individual ship in the fleet view and there is a drop down list) - "Refuel Own Fleet", "Refuel Own Subfleet", and "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers".  These need to be set to have a tanker refuel ships in the fleet it is part of (the Join and Refuel movement order sets "Refuel Own Fleet" automatically I believe, but you'd need to set "Refuel Own Fleet Tankers" manually if you want other tankers in the fleet to get fuel - my guess is that this is the issue with your Spabrook class, if it is flagged as a tanker). 

These then mix with the Underway Replenishment line of techs.  For the refuelling to happen while the fleet is moving, this line has to be researched - refuelling while the fleet is moving (I think this is defined as having any movement order set) happens at the percentage rate researched here.  My feeling, though I'm not 100% sure, is that a tanker's underway refuelling rate is determined by the tech level when it is built (or maybe designed).  I'm not sure about that, but I've had many games where I've had issues with attached tankers refuelling fleets that are in motion.  Always making a habit of researching a few techs down the Underway Replenishment line before building tankers seems to have fixed this.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2928 on: August 24, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
s there a way to retroactively reorganise multiple formations into a single formation? Can I alter the complex template and get it to hold all the silo STOs after it has been built?

Yes. Click the “Show Elements” button to display formation elements as part of the formation tree. Then you can drag and drop them from one formation to another. If you ever want to move part of an element, click the “Amount Popup” checkbox as well. Then after you drag an element to a new formation it will create a popup asking how many of them to move. Not the most elegant system, but it works.

You can also use the replacement system. Create small formations to build as you have already done, but also a the large formation that you want to end up with. Select one of your small formations and change its formation template to the large formation, then go to all the others and check the “Use for Replacements” checkbox. Assuming that you have set up the “Unit Series” tab already, then enough elements will be moved from these replacement formations to turn that small formation into a large one.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2929 on: August 24, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »

There is one. Select the destination fleet, give it a fleet target containing tankers, and select “Refuel from Stationary Tankers”.  This does not require the tankers to join the destination fleet.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2930 on: August 24, 2022, 12:59:13 PM »
This is not a question, but it may be useful information for some players. I noticed that lot of my officers that command or commanded ground force formations with STO weapons developed tactical skill (some have 50% bonus). So it may be worth it to have HQ in your STO formations even if you currently do not have officers with tactical skill.

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2931 on: August 25, 2022, 05:50:08 AM »
Kashada, that question belongs to Spoiler sub-forum.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2932 on: August 25, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »

There is one. Select the destination fleet, give it a fleet target containing tankers, and select “Refuel from Stationary Tankers”.  This does not require the tankers to join the destination fleet.

Somehow I feel the reverse order should exist. We are many scratching our heads with this one. It seems my brain wants to pick a tanker and tells it to refuel something, and not the reverse. IDK why I'm wired this way, but this is how it works with my neurons.

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314

Offline Kandros

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #2933 on: August 25, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »
Sorry if this question has been asked, I didn't seem to find anything on it.  Before I start a game with a few player run human factions, how would one go about possibly merging factions if that was something that I wanted to do?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2934 on: August 25, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »
Sorry if this question has been asked, I didn't seem to find anything on it.  Before I start a game with a few player run human factions, how would one go about possibly merging factions if that was something that I wanted to do?

There's no simple way to do it, but you can use SM mode to research techs, add population, change industry and mineral stockpiles, and copy class designs or transfer ships (new in 2.0).

The following users thanked this post: Kandros

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2935 on: August 26, 2022, 09:36:29 PM »
 --- Can Ground-Support Fighters (GSFSs) armed with Fighter Autocannons engage in Air-to-Air combat?

--- Can regular, Non-Small Craft Refueling Systems be used to refuel Small Craft? I wanna double check before building a forward FAC refueling base.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2936 on: August 28, 2022, 08:09:05 AM »
A missile without sensors shows higher chance to kill than missiles with sensors.
I can't understand why.
Aren't sensors used to guide a missile to the target?
Or does the increased weight reduce so much the manoeuvrability?
But, anyway, without sensors, the missile cannot drive itself against the target, or know when it is near to fire a proximity detonation.

SJW: WAI. You made the missiles slower by adding sensors so they will have a lower chance to hit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:05:43 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline n+1^2

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
« Reply #2937 on: August 28, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »
Quote from: paolot link=topic=11545. msg161732#msg161732 date=1661692145
A missile without sensors shows higher chance to kill than missiles with sensors.
I can't understand why.
Aren't sensors used to guide a missile to the target?
Or does the increased weight reduce so much the manoeuvrability?
But, anyway, without sensors, the missile cannot drive itself against the target, or know when it is near to fire a proximity detonation.

Adding sensor makes it heavier, hit chance is only affected by speed, agility, and mass.   You mainly use active sensors when you want stuff like fire and forget missiles and mines.   so basically, sensor doesn't mean increased hit chance.    :)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2938 on: August 29, 2022, 07:53:47 AM »
Are problems with Firecontrol Auto Assign widespread in the current version?
I am on 2.1.0 quite a bit in a game, and it has yet to work even once, which has now become a problem. First it wouldn't work for a single-weapon-FC + 1 particle beam FAC design, which is no issue to do by hand. Then a 22 launchers + 1 MFC fighter didn't work; also no issue. However, I recently launched a 50kt SRM orbital that has no less than 1200 launchers, which are supposed to be distributed to 6 different controls, because it would be a waste to fire that much on just one target most of the time.
Well, auto assign again did nothing but 'unassign all', and this is a bit too much to do by hand.(especially since the window still has the bug-adjacent habit of opening all tabs after each single assign, forcing me to do many extra clicks for each launcher, since I can't see the top)

Before 2.0, there were issues with it, but it seems to have worked more than not, even well distributing the launchers to all controls and such. For me this function is now completely out of order.
I used AuroraPatch to get a different background for this particular game, but I of course checked this with the unmodded version as well, and it yields the same.

All this would never be an issue, if the window just allowed shift-selection like VB6 did. :P
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Doc

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #2939 on: August 29, 2022, 08:48:00 AM »
In the latest series of updates was gene modification implemented?

I have been looking through the change logs and don't see anything, but wanted to confirm with someone who is sure before I make some new game decisions.