Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361454 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3000 on: September 11, 2022, 02:08:51 PM »
I think nuclearslurpee missed that this question was about hangars and fighters?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought hangars stop the maintenance clock and reset the deployment time of carried ships, so you need neither maintenance modules nor recreation modules.

Oh sure I guess this is my day job now huh?  ;)

Commercial hangars will not maintain whatever you put in them, but AFAIK if you have maintenance modules at the same site/fleet or on the same ship you can maintain with those. Maintenance facilities however would not work.

Similarly, a recreation module is necessary for reducing deployment clock if a populated colony is not available to do the job.

Only military hangars preclude the need for other facilities entirely.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3001 on: September 11, 2022, 02:41:39 PM »

Yes. Yes it is. Your salary is hereby doubled.

The following users thanked this post: Black, nuclearslurpee

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #3002 on: September 11, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
I think nuclearslurpee missed that this question was about hangars and fighters?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought hangars stop the maintenance clock and reset the deployment time of carried ships, so you need neither maintenance modules nor recreation modules.

Commercial hangars will not maintain whatever you put in them, but AFAIK if you have maintenance modules at the same site/fleet or on the same ship you can maintain with those. Maintenance facilities however would not work.

Similarly, a recreation module is necessary for reducing deployment clock if a populated colony is not available to do the job.

Only military hangars preclude the need for other facilities entirely.
I just tested it and we were both half right. Having a fighter landed on a commercial hangar DOES reset its deployment time, but it won't stop its maintenance clock, (so it will eventually blow up from maintenance failures unless the ship/fleet also has maintenance modules). Having the carrier orbit a population with maintenance facilities does also work by the way.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3003 on: September 11, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
I just tested it and we were both half right. Having a fighter landed on a commercial hangar DOES reset its deployment time, but it won't stop its maintenance clock, (so it will eventually blow up from maintenance failures unless the ship/fleet also has maintenance modules). Having the carrier orbit a population with maintenance facilities does also work by the way.

I swear I read a post 2-3 weeks ago saying exactly the opposite.  ???

Offline Kinnas

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #3004 on: September 13, 2022, 12:13:53 AM »
This is bound to be me missing something stupidly basic, but I just can't see the problem here.  .  .   I'm geosurveying the Solar system.   I had most of it surveyed, but was waiting for higher tech to do the outer edges.   So, when I got the tech, I upgraded my survey ships and.  .  .   tried to send them out.   But they refuse to move with the message 'unable to carry out primary standing order: Survey nearest body'. 

The standing orders (which worked fine for the inner Solar system) I've tried are:
Primary: 'Survey next five system bodies', and 'Survey nearest body'
Secondary: none
Primary Condition: 'Fuel less than 50%' 'Refuel at colony (All)'
Secondary Condition: 'Deployment exceeded' 'Refuel, resupply, and overhaul at colony'

The ship in question:

Code: [Select]
SV-01 Naraithsol 001  (Naraithsol Mk3 class Survey Vessel)      4,426 tons       83 Crew       481 BP       TCS 89    TH 240    EM 0
2711 km/s      Armour 1-24       Shields 0-0       HTK 27      Sensors 0/0/0/2      DCR 6      PPV 0
Maint Life 7.59 Years     MSP 407    AFR 26%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 12    5YR 186    Max Repair 100 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 60 months    Morale Check Required   

Nuclear Gas-Core Engine  EP240.00 (1)    Power 240.0    Fuel Use 9.76%    Signature 240.00    Explosion 6%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 416.7 billion km (1778 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor AS3-R1 (1)     GPS 10     Range 4m km    MCR 359k km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor AS18-R100 (1)     GPS 1000     Range 18.5m km    Resolution 100
Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Survey Ship for auto-assignment purposes

Please, feel free to point out my idiocy.   I will even thank you for doing so. 
Edit: The closest unsurveyed object is a comet at a distance of 26 billion kms, by the way.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:16:34 AM by Kinnas »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3005 on: September 13, 2022, 12:39:17 AM »

Edit: The closest unsurveyed object is a comet at a distance of 26 billion kms, by the way.

There is distance limit for standing orders - 10 billion km:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106824#msg106824

The following users thanked this post: Kinnas

Offline Kinnas

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #3006 on: September 13, 2022, 12:49:28 AM »
Thank you! I was going nuts! Well. . . .  nuts-er, anyway.

I still had to read through that twice, missed it the first time.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #3007 on: September 13, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

I swear I read a post 2-3 weeks ago saying exactly the opposite.  ???

The trick I've heard (though never tried) is to make a maintenance box.  A no-engine ship that is just (military) hangers and engineering spaces.  Put this inside the commercial hanger, and put the fighters inside it.  The whole matryoshka will last until the maintenance box's clock causes it to break - I think it will draw MSP from the commercial hanger parent too.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3008 on: September 14, 2022, 07:14:54 PM »
Is there a way to automatically assign officers to flag bridges?

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #3009 on: September 14, 2022, 07:23:33 PM »

Selecting automated assignments in the officers tab should do this. If you're still having empty positions, you need to make sure that there's no gaps in your command hierarchies and/or build more academies

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3010 on: September 14, 2022, 08:00:15 PM »

Selecting automated assignments in the officers tab should do this. If you're still having empty positions, you need to make sure that there's no gaps in your command hierarchies and/or build more academies
It didn't seem to be doing it. I had spare officers of the correct rank avaliable, but it didn't automatically assign any when i used the button that un-assigns then reassigns all the naval officers. Might have missed something, I suppose. I can check again later, and ultimately it isn't a huge issue

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3011 on: September 14, 2022, 08:44:51 PM »

It didn't seem to be doing it. I had spare officers of the correct rank avaliable, but it didn't automatically assign any when i used the button that un-assigns then reassigns all the naval officers. Might have missed something, I suppose. I can check again later, and ultimately it isn't a huge issue

It may not be automatic, but be aware that flag bridges only provide that officer's Reaction bonus, so if your available officers have no Reaction bonus it may not assign them anyways.

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #3012 on: September 14, 2022, 11:28:06 PM »
Also in addition to nuclearslurpees comment, IIRC, even if you have multiple flag bridges on multiple ships only one of them matters. Only the officer "flagged" as the flag officer provides any bonuses. All other ships in the fleet just have the flag officer act as the ship commander, which has applies no extra bonuses and "wastes" an officer. Theoretically it can be a redundancy safeguard if your fleet commander...ahem...goes kablooie

Offline Ultimoos

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #3013 on: September 15, 2022, 04:26:21 AM »
I'd like to experiment a little with weapon ranges to create a different combat flow.  Can parameters like weapon range be easily edited or that would require decompiling everything?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3014 on: September 15, 2022, 07:18:14 AM »
I'd like to experiment a little with weapon ranges to create a different combat flow.  Can parameters like weapon range be easily edited or that would require decompiling everything?

In the DB: Table FCT_ShipDesignComponents, column RangeModifier can let you modify the range of an individual component. Otherwise you'd have to mess around with the tech values (and this won't work for every weapon, e.g., plasma carronades have no separate range techs).

The following users thanked this post: Ultimoos