Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361681 times)

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3105 on: November 20, 2022, 09:52:27 PM »
It happened once or twice in my most recent game, but I couldn’t figure out how to reproduce it.

Same, I can't find a way to reproduce it consistently. it keeps happening in my game but not at the same bodies or the same fleets or classes of ships. just really random.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3106 on: November 21, 2022, 04:42:59 AM »
It happened once or twice in my most recent game, but I couldn’t figure out how to reproduce it.

Same, I can't find a way to reproduce it consistently. it keeps happening in my game but not at the same bodies or the same fleets or classes of ships. just really random.

I've seen an issue with the Absorb command occasionally.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3107 on: November 21, 2022, 09:17:02 AM »
Does anyone else have fleets fall out of orbit on a regular basis? never had that issue in previously versions.

Gravity sucks

The following users thanked this post: db48x, papent

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3108 on: November 22, 2022, 03:21:48 AM »

I've seen an issue with the Absorb command occasionally.

Curiously I don’t think I have ever used the absorb command! If I recall correctly, the last time I saw the problem it was a group of fighters that I had dropped out of a civilian carrier for repairs. I remember that I had to send the carrier over to pick them up since they ran out of fuel pretty quick.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3109 on: December 06, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »
I have 2 quick questions...

1- If i make a fighter and decide to use a pod instead of a missile launcher, will it work? Because the designer says its missing a missile launcher, but the designer accepts the missile on it...

2- If i make geosurvey missiles and use them on a planet, would it work the same as if i had a team on the ground? And if so... Would it take too long to grab the minerals data?

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #3110 on: December 06, 2022, 07:08:22 PM »
2- If i make geosurvey missiles and use them on a planet, would it work the same as if i had a team on the ground? And if so... Would it take too long to grab the minerals data?

Geosurvey Missiles work the same as Shipborne Geosurvey sensors it usually takes longer than a normal sensor due to it earns less points per hour.

Ground Geosurvey is a different mechanichttp://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107705#msg107705
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3111 on: December 06, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »

1- If i make a fighter and decide to use a pod instead of a missile launcher, will it work? Because the designer says its missing a missile launcher, but the designer accepts the missile on it...

The Pod Bay is for gound support and can only hold ground support weapons. Missile launchers can hold both missiles and ground support weapons. Allthough, missile launchers can carry less ground weapon pods.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:14:51 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3112 on: December 06, 2022, 07:25:52 PM »

The Pod Bay is for gound support and can only hold ground support weapons. Missile launchers can hold both missiles and ground support weapons. Allthough, missile launchers can carry less ground weapon pods.

I thought it was the other way around, that pods could grab missiles. But, thanks for the clarification, it helped a lot!

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3113 on: December 06, 2022, 07:34:20 PM »
I had a idea a few days ago and it made me curious: if i make a dud missile (no warhead), would i be able to fire at my own ships and test their PD capabilities? And if it passes and hit my ships, would it still damage it?

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3114 on: December 06, 2022, 08:40:48 PM »
I had a idea a few days ago and it made me curious: if i make a dud missile (no warhead), would i be able to fire at my own ships and test their PD capabilities? And if it passes and hit my ships, would it still damage it?

Tagging onto this, what would happen to a missile with an active sensor but no warhead upon reaching a target (assuming no PD)? Would it follow until fuel ran out, or detonate on arrival?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3115 on: December 06, 2022, 10:23:41 PM »

The Dud missile won't be able to target your ships and even if it could (there may be a mechanic able to do that I have not used) your PD battery will not engage the target as you can shoot only hostile contacts. To do so you will have to create an hostile race under your control and shoot at your ships once set such a race hostile.

Probably, you better off by using the PDLEAK tool you can find in the forum.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3116 on: December 07, 2022, 01:50:27 AM »

The easiest thing is to just create another player faction and use SM to spawn ships to shoot at using the same technologies.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3117 on: December 08, 2022, 11:45:49 PM »
 --- How do Ground Support Fighters calculate fuel? Do they use fuel when performing Ground Support missions? How much do I need? ???

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #3118 on: December 09, 2022, 01:08:30 AM »
--- How do Ground Support Fighters calculate fuel? Do they use fuel when performing Ground Support missions? How much do I need? ???

I actually tested this recently. They don't need fuel. They don't even need engines.

Code: [Select]
Avenger class Strikefighter      61 tons       1 Crew       23.5 BP       TCS 1    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      Armour 1-1       Shields 0-0       HTK 0      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 1
Maint Life 6.45 Years     MSP 10    AFR 12%    IFR 0.2%    1YR 0    5YR 6    Max Repair 10 MSP
Magazine 20   
Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 8 months    Morale Check Required   

Avenger Nose Mount (1)     Pod Size: 10    Hangar Reload 158 minutes    MF Reload 26 hours
Avenger Wing Mount (2)     Pod Size: 5    Hangar Reload 111 minutes    MF Reload 18 hours
Helios Pattern M39.A Torpedo Guidance Matrix (1)     Range 8.7m km    Resolution 10
Avenger Bolt Cannon (1)    Armour Penetration: 24     Damage: 30     Shots: 3
Avenger Lascannon (2)    Armour Penetration: 16     Damage: 10     Shots: 3

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Ground Support Fighter for auto-assignment purposes

This design works both for the Search & Destroy mission as well as the ground support mission.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3119 on: December 09, 2022, 02:14:12 AM »
I actually tested this recently. They don't need fuel. They don't even need engines.
Maybe they are glider bombers?