Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361695 times)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3180 on: February 13, 2023, 12:37:19 AM »

I think the problem with that (i.e., why Steve doesn't just add it) is that there's no decision to be made - of course you put a SCI station on every terraforming ship you ever build, no-brainer once you have the tech because it would be cheap for an obvious bonus.

Is that not the case now for military ships? Assuming of course you aren't making something really small like a fighter.

I'd love to have an actual functional reason to build out our command staff for every ship. The more we can get actual, named characters involved, the better the game is.

Brett

« Reply #3181 on: February 13, 2023, 12:18:37 PM »
Hi there, I have just started a game, and everything seems to be going fine, but I have made multiple classes of ships, but cannot select them for the shipyards when trying to construct them.  I seem to have all of the technologies needed, so I am unsure of what is going wrong (I am rather new to this)

Thank you

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3182 on: February 13, 2023, 06:50:20 PM »
Is that not the case now for military ships? Assuming of course you aren't making something really small like a fighter.

Not in general, because there's a legitimate tradeoff between adding a module versus another component of relevant type.

Survey ships are one easy example, you can add a Science Officer for 3 HS or another sensor for 5 HS. Whether the officer station is worth it or "better" depends on how many sensors you already have (therefore ship size), how much bonus you expect to get based on your commander roster, and whether the tonnage might be better used for, say, a Main Engineering (maybe you value reduced breakdown/MSP consumption more than survey speed?). Of course, if you build your survey ship big enough then you can just put everything on it and call it a day, but I don't think most people do this.

Tactical Officer is another one where you have to consider if the tonnage allocated for the module is giving you a better net DPS output (or PD hit%, whatever the case is) than another weapon - even more so if you run mixed-used ships in which case the total tonnage of weapons mounted is not the same as effective firepower in any given scenario. Again, you can run your ships so large that it's a no-brainer every time, but that's a separate decision and doesn't take away from the fact that ships in the medium size range have some interesting decisions to be made.

Compare to a typical proposed commercial station: a Mining or Terraforming Officer is going to be a negligible amount of tonnage and cost compared to the massive size of a typical mining or terraforming station, so it's a no-brainer every time unless you make the station something completely ridiculous like 25,000 tons in size. That aside, I wouldn't mind having that in the game to promote officer usage and a deeper logistics side of the hierarchy, but there's no interesting decision being made there so I can see why Steve has not been interested so far.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3183 on: February 16, 2023, 06:50:19 AM »
Hi there, I have just started a game, and everything seems to be going fine, but I have made multiple classes of ships, but cannot select them for the shipyards when trying to construct them.  I seem to have all of the technologies needed, so I am unsure of what is going wrong (I am rather new to this)

Thank you
Hi Brett, please register your account so that you can post normally - otherwise we have to manually approve each one.

Make sure that your shipyards are large enough and of the right type - commercial designs require commercial shipyards, military designs require military shipyards.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3184 on: February 16, 2023, 09:31:39 AM »
Also remmember that you have to retool shipyard to a specific ship class

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #3185 on: February 16, 2023, 01:06:00 PM »
I have a question regarding formation templates. How do I have to set them up, so the logistics modules don't get destroyed?

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3186 on: February 16, 2023, 02:45:05 PM »
I have a question regarding formation templates. How do I have to set them up, so the logistics modules don't get destroyed?

Usually you'll want them in a dedicated HQ formation above your fighting units, so that they can supply all formations under them at once. Then, you can set that HQ formation to Rear Echelon to massively reduce their chance to be targeted. Furthermore, make sure you're checking "non-combat" on HQ and supply units, further reducing their chance to be targeted.

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #3187 on: February 16, 2023, 09:10:56 PM »

Logistics modules are consumed during combat, so even if they're not being destroyed by the enemy they'll steadily dwindle.

The usual solution is to have some logistics modules in your combat units, but also bring dedicated supply formations. Set them to 'Rear Echelon' and 'Use as Reinforcements', and your front line troops will draw supplies from these 'depots' to replace their own consumed supplies.
The Sorium must flow

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3188 on: February 17, 2023, 02:38:55 AM »

This has nothing to do with your question, but I noticed you have 9 HQ units, you only need 1 HQ unit.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #3189 on: February 17, 2023, 09:00:38 AM »
So something like this then? The! 1st Super Heavy Army is set on Rear Echelon while the Super Heavy Squad is set on front attack.

I have 9 HQs because one has a limit of I think 10k, and I wanted some backup.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:02:27 AM by Kamilo »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3190 on: February 17, 2023, 10:04:27 PM »
So far, I am up to 449 systems.

Steve, what does your naval command hierarchy look like, what what percentage of unsurveyed systems are close enough to an HQ to give your survey ships a survey bonus?

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3191 on: February 18, 2023, 02:59:32 AM »
I have 9 HQs because one has a limit of I think 10k, and I wanted some backup.
HQs do not stack. Your HQ size should be equal or greater than the size of the formation it is commanding. So your tank Regiment of 50K tons would want an HQ rated for 50K tons. You can bring a backup HQ or three of course, but from what I read, I'm not too sure if they do much good. But for RP reasons it makes sense to have redundancy. If you have a backup HQ, I believe there is a random chance for the officer to get killed in the event of one or more HQs being targeted and destroyed. You can change the size of an HQ when you are creating the unit.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3192 on: February 18, 2023, 05:19:40 AM »
Mechanically having more than 1 HQ module in a unit is strictly harmful. It makes the HQ more likely to get hit and it makes it more likely that the commander gets killed. Only have more than 1 if your RP demands it.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #3193 on: February 18, 2023, 11:21:39 PM »
Could someone give me a good example of a beam monitor that would sit right next to a jump point for extended periods of time to blast the enemy to bits as soon as they jump in?

Cuz I'm unconvinced by the concept. Seems too unnecessarily resource heavy to deploy such a heavily armed ship for long periods of times outside of a maintence dock. Also seems micro-intensive with having to rotate them in and out.

I'd rather build super-fast beam ships that could sit on a maintence point and rush in a matter of hours to the jump point when necessary.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3194 on: February 19, 2023, 03:59:28 AM »
Probably better to make a dedicated thread in the Ship Design sub-forum for that sort of stuff.

The concept is only valid when you know you have hostile neighbours right next door and suspect that they will come knocking sooner or later. Otherwise it's a waste of deployment time, for sure.