Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361629 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3255 on: April 06, 2023, 08:28:37 AM »
1. What exactly can you transfer peacefully? Ships, components, ordnance, and ground forces are all on the table, but what about minerals, colonies, and techs (racial or otherwise)?

Garfunkel answered this; I just want to emphasize that doing this with SM mode is the as-intended approach. SM mode is not "cheating" when you use it to model your roleplay beyond the existing game mechanics.

2. Last time I attempted to load alien ordnance in a game, it didn't show up in the loadouts screen. Is this still true if a race transfers ordnance to another race, or is it only true for captured ordnance? Furthermore, if a ship using alien ordnance was transferred to a race, would that transferred ship still use the alien ordnance (and therefore could that ship load said ordnance, given it would still theoretically have it in the ship loadout)?

Using alien ordnance requires DB manipulation, otherwise it is not possible in-game. I think if a ship already has the alien missiles on board it can use them but I'm unsure.

3. Are there any known bugs with transferring a ship back and forth between races, if for instance, I wanted to use an engineless barge as a "trading platform" to pass back and forth, being filled with different things each time? Would it create a new class every time it was transferred?

No bugs that I know about, but it's also not a commonly used mechanic so maybe they just haven't been reported. The case you ask about is something you can test in two minutes with SM mode.

4. Is initial NPR strength based on the FIRST player race generated, or some other metric? Furthermore, is it based only on population? If the first race created was a large neutral race, would NPR strength be based on the large pop (and not the 0 tech and 0 initial BP of a neutral race)?

It is based only on population, and I believe the first population but it may be averaged over all player races - not sure. But yes, NPRs scale only by population and a few of the game settings, e.g., research rate modifier.

5. Tangential, but - if a cluster missile was launched at a hostile salvo, with a second stage of AMMs, would the released AMMs all target different missiles in the salvo? Also, if the cluster missile had an on-board thermal sensor and the targeted salvo was destroyed, would it target a different salvo, or does that only work for hostile ships? I've never used AMMs and am curious as to how they work. It seems like they might launch automatically like other PD, but in that case, how do you designate certain missiles as AMMs and certain missiles as not? Could cluster missiles be designated as AMMs? How are targets selected?

A salvo is a single target, so if you fire a cluster with, say, 10 second-stage missiles at an incoming salvo, they will all target the salvo - not individual missiles. Single missiles in a salvo basically function as hit points for that salvo, not separate targets. If that salvo is destroyed, any remaining missiles should either self-destruct or attempt to retarget if they have the capability to do so.

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #3256 on: April 16, 2023, 05:31:07 AM »
Is there a way to change the chance to get local systems / loops in my already explored systems in real stars games? I know the option for local stars doesn't work. Would it work to decrease the maximum stars to say a 5th of what it is normally, then do some exploring until I get some loops, and then turn it back up to 1000?

Alternatively, can I add JPs to specific systems using SM somehow? If so, I could read the DB file for current connections and find some ways to add a loop, select one randomly, then add it. Just have to find the table that has the graph. (I have some experience using SQL tools so I think I can do that)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 06:54:51 AM by superstrijder15 »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3257 on: April 16, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »
Is there a way to change the chance to get local systems / loops in my already explored systems in real stars games? I know the option for local stars doesn't work. Would it work to decrease the maximum stars to say a 5th of what it is normally, then do some exploring until I get some loops, and then turn it back up to 1000?

The only way I can think of is to switch to Random Stars, set the maximum number of systems to a low value, and then every JP exploration should connect to an existing system. Note that JP destinations are not set until the first time you explore them, so you will have to explore until you have the desired number of loops before turning back to Real Stars.

Alternatively, can I add JPs to specific systems using SM somehow? If so, I could read the DB file for current connections and find some ways to add a loop, select one randomly, then add it. Just have to find the table that has the graph. (I have some experience using SQL tools so I think I can do that)

You can add JPs with SM, but to connect them to other JPs they must both exist and then you have to make the connection via DB editing.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3258 on: April 17, 2023, 03:43:50 AM »
To make it a little faster you can save before you enter, and if you want the jp to lead to another system you just reload.

Offline superstrijder15

• s
« Reply #3259 on: April 17, 2023, 06:46:42 AM »

The only way I can think of is to switch to Random Stars, set the maximum number of systems to a low value, and then every JP exploration should connect to an existing system. Note that JP destinations are not set until the first time you explore them, so you will have to explore until you have the desired number of loops before turning back to Real Stars.

So I tried this, and it seems not to work. I did manage to discover the system of "levinor" about 10 times though. Maybe the rng is not very random? Also I turned known stars back on and tried it a few more times and then I get to different systems each time so it isn't the case that it already generated the desination

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3260 on: April 19, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
Is levinor always the same? Maybe it is just the next name on the list, but each time created differently.

Offline superstrijder15

• s
« Reply #3261 on: April 19, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »
Is levinor always the same? Maybe it is just the next name on the list, but each time created differently.

Yeah the system is always different but always the same name. But the point is that it doesn't ever connect to a different system or to a system I already had so I can't seem to use it to generate loops that I want. Really annoying that I can't just SM in some connections that I might want without DB editing

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3262 on: April 20, 2023, 10:50:35 AM »
Can anyone walk me through the way to replace ordnance on a vessel.

I have a 3 ship fleet each having 219 MK1 AMM as ordnance. I have just finishing reseaching the MK2 version of the AMM and have built 1000 of the MK2. Whatever I do I cannot get the 3 ships to load the MK2 missiles. I have amended the missile loadout in the class design window to show Mk2 . I have tried removing the ordnance from the ships at base , then obsoleting  and scrapping the MK1 missiles. I have then ordered the 3 ship Fleet to load ordnance at the colony but the 3 template loadout windows still show MK1 as the missile of choice and the ships will not load the new ordnance.

What am I doing wrong ,as I have tried ( i think ) everything available?

DavidR

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3263 on: April 21, 2023, 05:50:12 AM »
Further to my previous post , I attach a zipped Aurora DB file . Could anyone please advise why my 1st Fleet of 3 AMM Frigates will not change their ordnance from the MK1 AMM to the MK2 AMM. I am at a loss to know what to do and any help would be much appreciated.

DavidR

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #3264 on: April 21, 2023, 07:07:58 AM »
I clicked on one of the ships in the fleet.  Removed the old mk1 from the loadout. 
Its handy to change the radio button to 100/1000 if there are loads of missiles.  Saves clicking.
Filled up the loadout with the mk2. 
Clicked copy to class on the right.
Is that what you needed?

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3265 on: April 21, 2023, 09:59:07 AM »
Have you tried the "replace ordnance" order? if you just use load the ship will only try to fill up empty space.

Offline trabber Shir

• t
« Reply #3266 on: April 21, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
What does the second part of the damage value in a design text mean?

Example, an STO Laser Turret:
Code: [Select]
LR Twin 25.0cm C5.5 X-Ray Laser Turret
Range 600,000 km      Tracking 10,000 km/s      Damage 16 / 1     Shots 2     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 600,000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 0%
Maximum Sensor Range 6,055,510km      Max Range vs Missile 544,996 km
when I click the "Point Defense Weapon" option it becomes
Range 150,000 km      Tracking 12,500 km/s      Damage 16 / 7     Shots 2     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 150,000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 0%

What does the 7 in "Damage 16 / 7" mean?

Offline GrandNord

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #3267 on: April 21, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »
Further to my previous post , I attach a zipped Aurora DB file . Could anyone please advise why my 1st Fleet of 3 AMM Frigates will not change their ordnance from the MK1 AMM to the MK2 AMM. I am at a loss to know what to do and any help would be much appreciated.

DavidR

Try to increase the increment size when you're waiting for the ordinance to transfer. Ordinance transfer is very slow and I'm not sure if it counts missiles partially loaded, so use bigger increments, that might help.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3268 on: April 21, 2023, 01:51:59 PM »
What does the second part of the damage value in a design text mean?

Example, an STO Laser Turret:
Range 600,000 km      Tracking 10,000 km/s      Damage 16 / 1     Shots 2     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 600,000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 0%
when I click the "Point Defense Weapon" option it becomes
Range 150,000 km      Tracking 12,500 km/s      Damage 16 / 7     Shots 2     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 150,000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 0%

What does the 7 in "Damage 16 / 7" mean?

I think it is the damage at the end of the range. So at 600k km you'll do 1 damage, and at 150k km it is still 7 damage.

The following users thanked this post: trabber Shir

Offline trabber Shir

• t
« Reply #3269 on: April 21, 2023, 02:34:09 PM »

I think it is the damage at the end of the range. So at 600k km you'll do 1 damage, and at 150k km it is still 7 damage.

Ahh, thank you, that makes sense.