Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361556 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3525 on: December 11, 2023, 04:03:44 PM »
How long do missile-based sensor buoys last? (I mean ones with no engines)

They used to have endurance limits, but then you had to spend a lot of time micromanaging to replace them all. It wasn't a major decision, or a significant use of resources, it was just tedious. So I made them last forever.

The following users thanked this post: Zed 6, Xkill, BigBacon, StarshipCactus, captainwolfer, Ush213

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3526 on: December 12, 2023, 01:45:31 AM »
Do I need to put a refueling hub on every fuel harvesting station? If I put say 5 harvester stations with just a refueling module and 1 with a refueling hub in the same fleet, will the refueling hub take fuel from the harvesters to give to ships?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3527 on: December 12, 2023, 03:27:56 AM »
Do I need to put a refueling hub on every fuel harvesting station? If I put say 5 harvester stations with just a refueling module and 1 with a refueling hub in the same fleet, will the refueling hub take fuel from the harvesters to give to ships?

A refuelling module is fine. The advantage of a hub is being able to refuel many ships simultaneously. A simple module will do the same jog - just more slowly.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3528 on: December 12, 2023, 09:15:32 AM »

A refuelling module is fine. The advantage of a hub is being able to refuel many ships simultaneously. A simple module will do the same jog - just more slowly.

Also, a refuelling module will not work with the conditional refuelling orders, so this is technically a second advantage of the hub.

I've posted about this in the suggestions thread before, because I think it's silly that we need to research and build a 50,000-ton module to use a conditional order, but it is what it is.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3529 on: December 12, 2023, 04:08:01 PM »
I read the changes post regarding genetic conversion, but I'm still not sure I'm understanding this mechanic right since this is literally the first time I've *ever* messed around with genetic conversion. Regarding genetic conversion of a population, is this working as intended:

-Build genetic modification center on Titan to convert the population there to a cold temps acclimated human species.
-As they are converted, an entirely new "colony" is established on Titan that doesn't have access to default human colony's factories, mines, ground unit complexes, etc.
-In order to make the new population "productive" I have to "ship" all the constructions from the default human colony to the cold temps human colony using freighters.

I was under the impression that the new species would be part of the existing colony and wouldn't require any logistical intervention? Or am I doing something wrong/the more difficult way? I.e., is there a way to "transfer" all these constructions/minerals/MSP/fuel to the "new colony?"

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3530 on: December 12, 2023, 11:08:51 PM »
How are class names being sorted, exactly?

This question brought to you by the class name list:

Adder
Adder II
Adder IIb
Adder III
Adder II-L

Things I've learned:
" " is sorted ahead of letters as expected
"-" seems to sort as if the - was not there in most cases. Adder "II-i" sorts ahead of "Adder III" but after "Adder IIb"
A lowercase letter sorts before the same letter in uppercase, but after any earlier letter regardless of case.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3531 on: December 13, 2023, 05:20:52 AM »
I read the changes post regarding genetic conversion, but I'm still not sure I'm understanding this mechanic right since this is literally the first time I've *ever* messed around with genetic conversion. Regarding genetic conversion of a population, is this working as intended:

-Build genetic modification center on Titan to convert the population there to a cold temps acclimated human species.
-As they are converted, an entirely new "colony" is established on Titan that doesn't have access to default human colony's factories, mines, ground unit complexes, etc.
-In order to make the new population "productive" I have to "ship" all the constructions from the default human colony to the cold temps human colony using freighters.

I was under the impression that the new species would be part of the existing colony and wouldn't require any logistical intervention? Or am I doing something wrong/the more difficult way? I.e., is there a way to "transfer" all these constructions/minerals/MSP/fuel to the "new colony?"

I think it is not mechanically possible to have a "mixed" colony. But you could provide the human colony with nothing but the conversion centers. I also think you can transfer buildings between colonies, but I might be misremembering. You could just use spacemaster to deduct them from one colony and add them to the other.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3532 on: December 13, 2023, 05:36:43 AM »

Different species have to be in different populations.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3533 on: December 13, 2023, 12:07:22 PM »
How good is the auto-generate AI and designing ground forces?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3534 on: December 13, 2023, 12:17:12 PM »
How good is the auto-generate AI and designing ground forces?

It is serviceable, albeit mainly because it is not too difficult to design reasonable ground forces or more precisely it is not so easy to design ground forces that massively exploit the NPRs as we can with ship designs.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #3535 on: December 13, 2023, 12:21:11 PM »
Is there a way to get the ship name on the map without the hull number except renaming it? for example USS Burma instead of CS-01 USS Burma.  I think it has to do with the hull number option, but I did not understand how.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3536 on: December 13, 2023, 12:42:18 PM »
Is there a way to get the ship name on the map without the hull number except renaming it? for example USS Burma instead of CS-01 USS Burma.  I think it has to do with the hull number option, but I did not understand how.

Class Design window -> select class -> uncheck "Hull Numbers" box at the far right.

This will not change the Fleet names, so you will still have to manually rename those.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3537 on: December 13, 2023, 01:17:12 PM »
Or am I doing something wrong/the more difficult way? I.e., is there a way to "transfer" all these constructions/minerals/MSP/fuel to the "new colony?"

Pretty sure it you can just drag and drop, like most other types of transfers. (Troops between populations, troops between formations, ships between fleets, etc, etc.)

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3538 on: December 13, 2023, 02:11:52 PM »
What's the usual speed I should be trying to reach for Nuclear Pulse Engine ships?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3539 on: December 13, 2023, 02:43:35 PM »
I'd say a minimum of 2000 km/s for ships where speed is not critical, probably 3000+ km/s for fast beam weapon ships if you don't mind sacrificing range or mission equipment size.

The attached image is what I would consider the base/minimum speeds for different techs at different engine size percentages (with a 100% power modifier). So using 25% engine size at Nuclear Pulse gives a base speed of 2000 km/s, using 30% gives a speed of 2400 km/s. I wouldn't go lower than the 25% engine size speed for any military ship, and pretty much always try to go a little higher even if I'm using long-range weapons.