Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361503 times)

Offline DrBladeSTEEL

• Petty Officer
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3570 on: December 21, 2023, 10:47:11 AM »
What do the Class and System Theme options like System Theme - United Kingdom mean/include in them?

The 'theme' lists are curated collections of system or ship class names based around a singular thematic concept. For instance, ship classes in the Ancient Egyptian theme could be: Amon, Ra, Atep, Sobek, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Tavik Toth

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3571 on: December 21, 2023, 10:54:40 AM »
What do the Class and System Theme options like System Theme - United Kingdom mean/include in them?

The 'theme' lists are curated collections of system or ship class names based around a singular thematic concept. For instance, ship classes in the Ancient Egyptian theme could be: Amon, Ra, Atep, Sobek, etc.

Also worth noting that these lists are usually not alphabetized, unlike most of the other name lists. For this reason I tend to use them a lot.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3572 on: December 21, 2023, 11:32:08 AM »

Also worth noting that these lists are usually not alphabetized, unlike most of the other name lists. For this reason I tend to use them a lot.

Adding to that: I always use "choose random name from list" for my ship names to have more variety, especially in classes with smaller production runs.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3573 on: December 21, 2023, 02:04:22 PM »
Is there any reason to use light infantry armour after researching power armour?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3574 on: December 21, 2023, 02:08:29 PM »
Is there any reason to use light infantry armour after researching power armour?

It is cheaper. Ground unit cost is proportional to armor, so the tradeoff is individual unit strength (more armor) versus weight of numbers (lower cost = build more units).

In practice, armor tend to be a bit less effective than weight of numbers in a purely tactical sense, due to over-penetration effects, but having higher unit capability per ton is useful in several other ways so in practice either approach is about equally viable and a well-balanced ground forces doctrine will use both light and armored units.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3575 on: December 21, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »
Higher capability per ton is especially useful in invasion situations, where you may have a limited troop transport size, and armored infantry will let you land a better initial force.

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #3576 on: December 21, 2023, 03:22:50 PM »
You should continue the campaign by having a lengthy Naval Conference and then never finish despite your best intentions.
Ideally the Naval Conference itself should also be left hanging, for maximum effect.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3577 on: December 21, 2023, 03:45:43 PM »
Hm, is there any point in using Light Anti-vehicle instead of Light Autocannon aside from roleplaying?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3578 on: December 21, 2023, 04:01:03 PM »
Hm, is there any point in using Light Anti-vehicle instead of Light Autocannon aside from roleplaying?

It is smaller, uses less GSP, and better against armor. Also you can use it on infantry whereas LAC is vehicles-only.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3579 on: December 21, 2023, 04:26:43 PM »
This is more since I can't recall, but is transport size usually thought to be the unit plus its support/supply or something like that?

Edit: Since I'm trying to figure out if something similar in weight to a WW2 british cruiser tank should be a medium or light vehicle
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 05:03:52 PM by Tavik Toth »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3580 on: December 21, 2023, 06:18:02 PM »
This is more since I can't recall, but is transport size usually thought to be the unit plus its support/supply or something like that?

Edit: Since I'm trying to figure out if something similar in weight to a WW2 british cruiser tank should be a medium or light vehicle
Yes, it is because INF+PW is 5 tons and most players go with the idea that a single INF is a single soldier. But don't get fixated on the tons, the system is quite flexible for RP purposes. I'm actually starting to use the following categorization:

Light Vehicle - armoured trucks, scout jeeps, armoured cars, transport/utility helicopters, and such.
Medium Vehicle - light tanks, heavy armoured cars, combat helicopters, armoured personnel carriers, and such.
Heavy Vehicle - medium tanks, infantry fighting vehicles
Super-Heavy Vehicle - heavy tanks
Ultra-Heavy Vehicle - futuristic war machines

So, your Crusader II would be a Heavy Vehicle with MAV and ACP. Remember that your armour value depends more on what level of DS armour you've researched rather than the base unit type and same goes for weapons. A WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank or a futuristic tank, it just uses regular old steel instead of ceramic composite materials or exotic neutronium-duranium layers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 06:19:47 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3581 on: December 22, 2023, 12:37:46 PM »
A WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank or a futuristic tank, it just uses regular old steel instead of ceramic composite materials or exotic neutronium-duranium layers.
The main WWII medium tanks are much lighter than modern MBTs, though the heavy tanks could be heavier.

I'd definitely argue that a medium tank and maybe an MBT fits medium vehicle better - medium and heavy vehicles appear to have the exact same armament options.

Of course, most units' tonnage will be dominated by equipment, not chassis, unless they're heavily anti-personnel focused.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3582 on: December 22, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »
A WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank or a futuristic tank, it just uses regular old steel instead of ceramic composite materials or exotic neutronium-duranium layers.
The main WWII medium tanks are much lighter than modern MBTs, though the heavy tanks could be heavier.
I mean, that's why I wrote that a WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank. T-72 is about 40 tons, same as Panther. Sherman and T-34 were lighter but Pershing, Tiger and the IS series were heavier. Sure, Abrams and Challenger are heavier than anything that saw combat in WW2 but there are many post-WW2 AFVs that aren't.

I'd definitely argue that a medium tank and maybe an MBT fits medium vehicle better - medium and heavy vehicles appear to have the exact same armament options.
Heavy vehicles carry 3 modules which is quite a big difference. Plus, they can carry super-heavy weapon modules if I remember correctly.

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
« Reply #3583 on: December 22, 2023, 06:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=11545. msg167444#msg167444 date=1703292218
Heavy vehicles carry 3 modules which is quite a big difference.  Plus, they can carry super-heavy weapon modules if I remember correctly.

Superheavies carry 3, Ultraheavies carry 4
Mediums and Heavies both carry 2
Heavies can carry super-heavy modules though
Speaking of heavies and superheavies, is it confirmed that NPRs don't use anything larger than a medium vehicle?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3584 on: December 22, 2023, 07:34:40 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=11545. msg167444#msg167444 date=1703292218
Heavy vehicles carry 3 modules which is quite a big difference.  Plus, they can carry super-heavy weapon modules if I remember correctly.

Superheavies carry 3, Ultraheavies carry 4
Mediums and Heavies both carry 2
Heavies can carry super-heavy modules though
Speaking of heavies and superheavies, is it confirmed that NPRs don't use anything larger than a medium vehicle?
I'm pretty sure I've seen spoilers use heavies