Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361681 times)

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3600 on: December 28, 2023, 06:06:11 AM »
When loading ground units into a transport fleet, you can click a check box to load a parent formation and all sub-unit formations, which means you can load an entire army into a transport fleet as long as it will fit neatly. This might be what you're looking for?

Yup.  It was.

I was so distracted by the "Load assigned ground unit templates" option that I didnt even bother to just do it normally... at which point I would have seen that little checkbox appear when using the option.

Well, at least now I know an alternate method.

The following users thanked this post: Kurt

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3601 on: December 28, 2023, 02:19:51 PM »
Why is my PD chance to hit consistently worse in practice than the estimated chance to hit.

I'm being attacked by amms with a speed of 60,300 km/s. My tracking speed is 16,000 km/s. So, I should have a hit chance of about 26%. The average estimated hit chance according to the event log is 35.7% (probably because of tactical officer bonuses). However, apparently I'm only hitting 16% of the time. Why? Is it counting overkill as misses?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 05:45:04 PM by captainwolfer »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3602 on: December 28, 2023, 02:39:54 PM »
Why is my PD chance to hit consistently worse in practice than the estimated chance to hit.

I'm being attacked by amms with a speed of 60,300 km/s. My tracking speed is 16,000 km/s. So, I should have a hit chance of about 26%. The average estimated hit chance according to the event log is 35.7% (probably because of tactical officer bonuses). However, apparently I'm only hitting 16% of the time. Why? Is it counting overkill as misses?

Did you walk under any ladders and see any black cats in recent memory?

Jokes aside, it's probably a side effect of the new PD rework causing "wasted" shots, I'm assuming you are firing beam pd. How many shots are your guns firing per target? They assign their shots before they engage so if you assign too many shots, they'll waste whatevers left.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3603 on: December 28, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »

Did you walk under any ladders and see any black cats in recent memory?

Jokes aside, it's probably a side effect of the new PD rework causing "wasted" shots, I'm assuming you are firing beam pd. How many shots are your guns firing per target? They assign their shots before they engage so if you assign too many shots, they'll waste whatevers left.
Yeah, I think it counts overkill as a miss. I was fine with overkill, since I figured that would reduce the chances of hits getting through. I was firing about 6 shots per target, I think.

Let see, in one case:
67 incoming AMMs
Code: [Select]
Single GC4 R300-100 Turret: Shots 376 Missile Kills 59 Decoy Hits 0 Overkill 217 Average CTH 35.7% Hit 15.7% Kill 15.7%So, 100 shots missed completely, so 59/159 = 37.1% of shots hit, which matches the average CTH very well, and it does counts overkill as a miss.
8 missiles leaked through.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3604 on: December 29, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »
New question: If I want a 2 stage missile to be able to select a new target when the original target is destroyed, does only the first stage need a sensor or do both stages need sensors

The following users thanked this post: Xkill

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3605 on: December 29, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »
New question: If I want a 2 stage missile to be able to select a new target when the original target is destroyed, does only the first stage need a sensor or do both stages need sensors

I haven't tested or used such tactic, however, the answer should be within the WAI of Aurora missile mechanics.

As the 2 stage missile act as 2 separate entities, both stages will require the sensor.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3606 on: December 30, 2023, 02:39:55 AM »
Going to be useless though. Good luck fitting a big enough sensor inside the carrier-bus that can spot a new target far enough that it can still launch its sub-munition/s without being destroyed.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3607 on: December 30, 2023, 09:02:48 AM »
Going to be useless though. Good luck fitting a big enough sensor inside the carrier-bus that can spot a new target far enough that it can still launch its sub-munition/s without being destroyed.

A 1-MSP active sensor with baseline techs (10 strength, 5 sensitivity) can detect a RES-100 target over 4 million km away, which is probably far enough out of AMM range to get a launch off and this will only improve with tech level. 1 MSP is a big ask even for a carrier bus but it can be done usefully.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3608 on: December 30, 2023, 12:00:07 PM »
When loading ground units into a transport fleet, you can click a check box to load a parent formation and all sub-unit formations, which means you can load an entire army into a transport fleet as long as it will fit neatly. This might be what you're looking for?

Yup.  It was.

I was so distracted by the "Load assigned ground unit templates" option that I didnt even bother to just do it normally... at which point I would have seen that little checkbox appear when using the option.

Well, at least now I know an alternate method.

Wait!  This is a thing?  So much time wasted.  Grumble grumble grumble. 

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3609 on: December 30, 2023, 12:04:04 PM »
Is it still possible to place ruins on system bodies?  I remember being able to do it on the system screen, with the space master mode activated.  I don't see the button now, but its possible I'm just missing it. 

Edit: Just found it.  Should have looked harder.  Thanks anyway!

Offline missile

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #3610 on: January 01, 2024, 11:22:01 AM »
Is it worth having many scientists researching many different thing with 1-4 RLs or have 1-2 researchers with lots of RLs?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3611 on: January 01, 2024, 12:07:57 PM »
Is it worth having many scientists researching many different thing with 1-4 RLs or have 1-2 researchers with lots of RLs?

Either way works fine. In practice, you will probably get a bit more benefit from concentrating your labs with the best scientists you have rather than distributing a lot of labs to low-skill researchers, and there is something to be said for developing techs as fast as possible (which means fewer scientists with more labs each), but it shouldn't be too much of a change in practice. Note that the Limited Research Admin game option pushes you towards the many scientists approach which I personally find more fun and immersive, particularly since having a mechanic to enforce this means you can still take advantage of improvements in admin skill without putting 50 labs under one person.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #3612 on: January 01, 2024, 03:18:23 PM »
Where is the best resource for a clear and concise explanation of designing and organizing ground unit formations, if one truly exists? I think I understand the most basic of elements - designing classes. For example, I've designed Garrison Infantry Battalions of 5,000 tons. They contain a Battalion HQ, some infantry with PWL and some infantry with CAP.  I intend to put four of these battalions into regiments and four regiments into divisions. They aren't intended to fight, only to garrison and reduce unrest.

Where I get confused is on how to form the four battalions into regiments and the regiments into divisions and how to account for the necessary HQ capacity and logistics. Is the "regiment" a class in and of itself that needs to be designed and filled with HQ and logistics units that I then drag the battalions into once trained?

This and the more complex issues underlying good naval combat vessel design are the only two things holding me back, but ground unit design seems to be the easiest to master. Just trying to get an understanding of the rules and the the interface, which to me, is not very intuitive.

I've watched some of the videos out there that attempt to cover ground formations and combat, but some of the basic points that I'm stumbling on are glossed over or not covered at all. What would be most appreciated is a ground up explanation from beginning to end. Sorry for what may be a noob question, but I appreciate all your help.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3613 on: January 01, 2024, 04:00:31 PM »
I've watched some of the videos out there that attempt to cover ground formations and combat, but some of the basic points that I'm stumbling on are glossed over or not covered at all. What would be most appreciated is a ground up explanation from beginning to end. Sorry for what may be a noob question, but I appreciate all your help.
Have you read the changelog notes on ground forces? It isn't concise but might help: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105832#msg105832

I'll go over how I design my forces and some tips in a few hours, I don't have time right now though.

The following users thanked this post: Jarhead0331

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3614 on: January 01, 2024, 04:01:47 PM »
Where I get confused is on how to form the four battalions into regiments and the regiments into divisions and how to account for the necessary HQ capacity and logistics. Is the "regiment" a class in and of itself that needs to be designed and filled with HQ and logistics units that I then drag the battalions into once trained?

Short answer: Yes. It is also pretty common to have the regimental formation include artillery (in the form of bombardment units, LB or MB) and assign it to 'support' one of the battalions under its control. In that case, it usually would make the most sense to have the divisional formation handle the logistics elements.

So a simple example of what your formation hierarchy could look like might be:

XX 1st Division: 1x INF+HQ105, 475x INF+LOG-S -- Set as "Use for Replacements" to resupply subordinate formations
       III 1st Regiment: 1x INF+HQ25, 200x INF+LB, 40x INF+LOG-S -- Supports 1st Battalion
           II 1st Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 2nd Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 3rd Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 4th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
       III 2nd Regiment: 1x INF+HQ25, 200x INF+LB, 40x INF+LOG-S -- Supports 5th Battalion
           II 5th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 6th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 7th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 8th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
       III 3rd Regiment: 1x INF+HQ25, 200x INF+LB, 40x INF+LOG-S -- Supports 9th Battalion
           II 9th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 10th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 11th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 12th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
       III 4th Regiment: 1x INF+HQ25, 200x INF+LB, 40x INF+LOG-S -- Supports 13th Battalion
           II 13th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 14th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 15th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S
           II 16th Battalion: 1x INF+HQ5, 1275x INF+PWL, 75x INF+CAP, 25x INF+LOG-S

Note that to handle logistics/resupply, there are two main options. One is to use LVH+LOG units in a higher-level formation, which will automatically resupply formations under the hierarchy. The other, which I show here, is to use INF+LOG-S units with a few in each combat formation and then a large reserve held in a rear echelon formation, which does not need to be in the same hierarchy, and use the Series/Replacement mechanic to keep the combat formations in supply.

Also note that I'm not trying to show the "best" unit composition, although what I have here should work well enough, but I am only trying to illustrate how the hierarchy could look.

I've watched some of the videos out there that attempt to cover ground formations and combat, but some of the basic points that I'm stumbling on are glossed over or not covered at all. What would be most appreciated is a ground up explanation from beginning to end.

Tabled as an idea for a future mechanics EffortPost™.

The following users thanked this post: Jarhead0331