Author Topic: Sign Up  (Read 6904 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Sign Up
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
OOC: Well I was going to wait till the start before I started, before lobbying for a position, but now I have a contest for the Survey ministry, I think it time I started lobbying. <grin>

Vergeraiders, you have no policies, no agenda, no direction. How are you suppose to run a responsible ministry like Survey. I Chuck Winston am releasing a proposed policy of minimal expansion and maximum efficient in the grav and geo survey areas. Not a single dollar will be wasted under my proposed guidance.

Chuck Winston - Senatorial Candidate vote 1 now.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:54:34 PM by ardem »

Offline vergeraiders

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
{Transcript of the live speech given by [survey ministry candidate #2] at the Naval Academy graduation ceremony}

Men and women of our navy. Today you embark on the next step of you lives. One of sacrifice and excitement, one of duty and honor. The spirit of these hallowed grounds calls some to greatness in service to their people. And it will be no different with this generation. In fact I predict the your class may be the one to make the greatest contributions in the history of our world. Yes, our world. That word has a new meaning now, and we must never forget what we have all been through together and strive together to rebuild what has been lost, then go further than anyone has though possible. The ships you crew will be marvels, once relegated only to the pages of science fiction. Well this science and these ships are fiction no longer. Your new duty will be to explore, your sacrifice will be to spend months or years from home. But the excitement at what you will find will be your reward. We must take to the high road and we must do so now and in numbers appropriate to the task.

My honorable opponent proposes an efficient survey campaign. Well I say no mission to explore the entire galaxy can ever be efficient. We might as well all stay home. I will send you, our valiant and intrepid explorers forth to find more wealth among the stars. The new minerals on [our yet to be determined homeworld] will not last forever. Already our industry and naval buildup is consuming vast amounts of Duranium [or other critical], even all the deposits in the solar system will not suffice. We must explore, expand, find the mineral wealth of the stars and return it to our people.

And speaking of our people we must never allow the calamity [whatever it was] that has befallen them to happen again. No, I say never again! Our people must find new worlds to call home so that at no time will all of our eggs ever be in one singular basket again. Humanity's [we are human at least?] destiny lies in space, to every star we can reach. We have the will, we have the young lion captains who will lead spaceships thought impossible just years ago. To the minister of design and production, give our people a small fleet of geologic and gravity survey ships, some jump tenders and a good scout ship or two and under my leadership we will transform our society from a bunch of hopeful, but planet bound, survivors to a interplanetary then interstellar civilization.

We have been given this opportunity, it may never come again, so I say we must go boldly to the stars with as many fine ships and well trained men and women to pilot them as we are able. Indeed, it is time to redefine the very meaning of the word ship. For as a great man once said "If the human race survives even as long as the dinosaurs, who are considered to be a short lived order, then for all but a fleeting instant at the dawn of recorded history, the word ship will mean spaceship." Let us take the first steps along that path now! Let us take them together for a brighter future for all!

Survey Minister Candidate 2
[name pending campaign history]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:51:07 AM by vergeraiders »

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
As a retired admiral and only candidate for Minister of Military Affairs, I look with great caution at those who promote a tactic of excessive expansion, the galaxy is not a safe place and Trans-Newtonian resources are not common enough to be spent inefficiently.  The only rational choice must be a measured, slow exploration and expansion, only to be modified in times of great need.  We must fortify systems and consolidate supply lines, and above all, we must ensure that the brave men and women manning the ships expanding our frontiers are never far from reinforcement.  These people represent to much of what is best in our society to throw their lives away. 
I believe my colleague and close personal friend Chuck Winston would be the man for the job, he has shown vision and caution in his previous policies, as well as the willingness to do what is right, not what is expedient.  Despite my great respect for [Survey Ministry Candidate #2] I do not believe he is ready for the responsibility of guiding policy in matters of this magnitude.

Vice Admiral (Retired) and Senator Panopticon (RP name pending world gen)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
As Commerce and Production Minister, my duty should be to ask for restrain and economy. As the Military Affaires Minister said, Trans-Newtonian ressources are expensive and finite and should not be wasted.

However, the Survey Minister will lead our race into space. It has a duty to explore efficiently, but also a duty to inspire our people and show them that the stars belong to us!

I firmly believe to humanity should step defiantly into the stars, sending fleets of survey vessels that can operate safely away from our planets. As such, before casting my vote, I ask both minister: what is your Survey Strategy?

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »

{Reporter from Daily News, requesting a comment on Senator Vergeraiders speech and Senator Panipotocon reply}

Here Here  Senator Panopticon

I full endorse Senator Panopticon comments, he speak wisdom and from his vast military experience understands caution.... is sometimes a necessity of survival. He definitely is a Military leader I wish to have on my shoulder and my firm hope is he gets that chance to fulfil that role and brings the security to our system that we need.

My dear colleague Senator Vergeraiders, made a wonderful speech at the Naval Academy, he is a great orator. But his direction concerns me, and for the people of this planet.

Space is a wondrous thing, but like the days of old, it could also be a poisoned chalice waiting for us to sup at its cup. There will be mysteries that will need to be solved, encounters of friend and foe, possibly, we will need to face.       And friends we need to be READY to counter them.

I do hope that we can travel the stars freely and safely, but until we learn how to run, we must be prepared to learn, how to crawl. A baby does not come out of its mother womb and run to the nearest exit on delivery, so must we be patient and build our base, and strengthen our limbs, build our bulk and eventually learn to stand.

Thankyou, sorry I have no more comments I am late for a Kids in Hospital Fundraiser.

Offline vergeraiders

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »
{HoloNet news program "Hardtalk"}

Host Rachel Lee: And now, turning to the race for the position of Survey Minister. In a unexpectedly fierce contest for this secondary, but nevertheless vital post; 2 candidates had so far thrown their hats in the ring. So far Chuck Wilson [Candidate 1] has  "proposed policy of minimal expansion and maximum efficient in the grav and geo survey areas." vowing "Not a single dollar will be wasted under my proposed guidance." He then challenged <insert name here> [Candidate 2] about his complete lack of having no policies or agenda. But in a stirring speech broadcast earlier today, some of those questions were answered. "I will send you, our (newly graduated naval officers) valiant and intrepid explorers forth to find more wealth among the stars." And ".. so I say we must go boldly to the stars with as many fine ships and well trained men and women to pilot them as we are able." were some of the responses. Here to answer more questions on Hardtalk is Survey Minister Candidate 2. We hope that candidate Wilson will be able to join us later on this program.

Welcome to Hardtalk [Candidate 2]. Do you have any initial statement?

[Candidate 2]: Thank you Rachel. Glad to be here. I'm happy to see a worthwhile debate on policy issues. This will be an important decision our new government will soon make, possibly one of the most important in history.

Rachel Lee: One of the items you challenged your opponent on was the use of the word efficient. Is it your position that your policy would be inefficient?

[Candidate 2]: {chuckles a bit} No, not exactly Rachel. But I would not make cost the single most important factor as my honorable opponent seems to imply with his " minimal expansion and maximum efficient" line. Note my reference to and request for some deep space scouts from the minister of production. I'm sure we are all familiar with the war college studies showing that scout ships operating far from home can often be deathtraps for their crews in the face of threats they discover. I have run studies about using armed scout ships and sadly the cost figures do seem prohibitive at least at this time. The next best thing the simulations show is using a scout ship with some of the best active and passive sensors we can design to scan a system before sending ships to explore the planets for resources or look for more jump points. To show that I have some thought as to the total cost of such a program, I would propose that these scout ships actually be fleet scouts under direct control of the military, but on loan to the survey service in times of peace. The only requirement from my point of view is that they be small enough for the survey command jump tenders and fast - something I don't think any Admiral would be against. The ability to scout an enemy position and run away has been valuable through the entire history of warfare. This way the Admirals would have a few fast scouts with experience scanning system for threats if we ever run into any.

Rachel Lee: You seem to take it as a foregone conclusion that we will run into enemies, many in the ministry of foreign affairs or even the senate would call that very xenophobic.

[Candidate 2]: I'm sure that some of them would. Honestly I do not know what we will encounter. And neither does anyone else. But space is vast, we will probably eventually encounter anything we can imagine and many things we can't. Friends, enemies, specters that will haunt our collective nightmares, wealth beyond counting and tragedy beyond imagination. We must be ready for as much of it as we can.

Rachel Lee: What do you think of the school of thought shared by many that any race advanced enough to explore the stars must be peaceful. What...

[Candidate 2]: I hope it is true, but that anyone who wants to bet the future of all humanity on that hope is blinded by the worst kind of delusion.

Rachel Lee: Well I guess that position is clear at least. Moving on; you hinted at expanding our presence to other worlds. Isn't that the purview of the President or Minister of Colonization?

[Candidate 2]: Indeed it is. But I am quite sure just based on human history that if habitable worlds or even near habitable worlds are found by survey crews they will be settled. It's in our nature. The priority and pace of that settlement is indeed beyond the responsibilities of the office seek. I just predict it will happen, and the even the President may not be able to completely control it.

Rachel Lee: You briefly alluded to navy Admirals who you would need to work with, a prominent representative and candidate for Minister of Military Affairs recently endorsed your opponent, saying you are not "ready for the responsibility of guiding policy in matter of this magnitude". Your response?

[Candidate 2]: Well first I would challenge his absolute assumption that "the galaxy is not a safe place and Trans-Newtonian resources are not common". We have no idea what the rest of the galaxy holds, which is precisely why we must explore. If it is true our advance will of necessity be more cautious, but we don't need to assume the worst case right from the beginning. In fact I think his statement "The only rational choice must be a measured, slow exploration and expansion, only to be modified in times of great need." Is exactly backwards, though I do agree with the measured description. In my opinion we should have a robust exploration program in times of prosperity and when there are no threats on the horizon. It is if we encounter a potential threat and adjust our deployments to counter it, that our exploration should be the most conservative as to avoid a multi-axis threat. I do agree with his sentiment that "we must ensure that the brave men and women manning the ships expanding our frontiers are never far from reinforcement".

Rachel Lee: Interesting points. I'm sure we will hear more about this as the campaign progresses. But still his endorsement, the first of the campaign, must be a blow to your campaign.

[Candidate 2]: Only time will tell, but it sure doesn't help. Still some of the most telling words of his endorsement may be "and close personal friend". By the nature of our government, the Minister of Military Affairs and Minister of Survey will need to work closely together and will together control a significant amount of influence and almost all military power. I would say there is a risk if the two ministers are too friendly and think very much the same.

Rachel Lee: Well your reputation for clearly speaking your mind is certainly well deserved. What do you have to say to the candidate for the Minister of Commerce and Production and his call for a complete policy?

[Candidate 2]: I am in favor of a robust exploration program, but not a reckless one. I propose deploying our survey ships in semi-permanent groups. Each group will have 1 jump tender and from 3 to 12 survey ships (most likely evenly divided between geo and grav), plus one scout (on loan from the navy, at least initially). All survey ships should be capable of a high a speed as can be reasonably achieved while still having good fuel efficiency. If they can't be armed, our crews should at least have a chance to escape and it will make them more efficient at their primary task. Each survey ship should be equipped with 2 of the best survey instruments developed. This will make them more efficient in their primary task. The cost per ship, both initial and re-occurring will be higher, but the cost per sensor will be lower. The jump ship should not participate in survey activities, but remain at the jump points to serve as a link in the communication chain back to survey command should anything interesting be discovered. The scout ship could help with this and if possible in the future may be equipped their own jump drives. I'm sure any Admiral would like to have independently deployable scouts. If possible the jump tender could have extra fuel or engineering stores.

When a new point is explored, the tender and scout go first. Once the tender's jump engines are ready for a return jump the scout will light up its active sensors to make sure the area nearby is clear. If it is the tender returns to the known system, picks up survey ships and returns to the new system. Once the ferrying is done the tender takes up station at the JP in the new system and awaits the results. The scout could patrol the area near the JP or head toward the primary for a close look at the inner planets or other area of special interest. That would be the initial tactical plan for survey groups, I'm sure it would be modified with experience and in the future would could look forward to jump capable, long endurance survey ships or even survey "carriers" with parasite boats capable of the survey functions.

Strategically I'm a bit more conservative. First a bubble of at least two star systems should be achieved before any major colonization is attempted. Mining colonies, sensor outposts or even logistics depots wouldn't qualify, but large civilian populations should have at least a moderate safe zone cleared for them. Once such a buffer zone is cleared out around our home, I would focus most of the survey assets on one 'tree' until some natural stopping point is reached or the bubble stretches out to a distance to hard to exploit from the nearest inhabited system. I would then turn our survey asset's attention en masse to the next most promising or neglected tree. This may prove for some uneven expansion, but it will be both more efficient and more defensible. I do concur with our esteemed candidate for Military Affairs that we must have defended (or at least defensible) positions and consolidated supply lines. As another famous man once said "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics". I believe that providing logistics for a star faring civilization will prove a challenge for all.

Rachel Lee: Well that seems pretty complete, at least until the opposition gets a crack at it. Any final comments?

[Candidate 2]: I welcome any constructive suggestions, from them a better plan will develop. Some may say this sounds like and expensive plan, and they are likely correct. Some will say why spend all this money 'in space'. First let me say that the long term cost of not expanding is greater than staying home and second not once credit will be spent 'in space'. Every bit of it will be spent right here at home. We will spend it developing the technology to deploy the best ships we can. We will spend it on good jobs building these ships and others for the navy to defend us if needed. The same technologies that make a warship evasive can make a survey ship fast and efficient. Those that let a laser or missile target a threat will let the scouts see the threat, while its still 'out there'.
It is true we must use the limited supply of the new 'Trans-Newtonian' minerals wisely, but if we don't find more, no matter how efficient we become we will eventually run out. The only way to get more is to go out there and that is what we must do. That is what we will do under my leadership in the Ministry of Survey, at a fair but safe pace.

Rachel Lee: Thank you. This has been [Survey minister candidate 2]. After the break our campaign coverage continues...

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
I suppose I need to come out of the shadows and stop being a 'Senator at large" and look to managing a ministry. I therefore put forward myself, Orion Starion, as the new minister of Civilian and Colonial Affairs.

I would also like to endorse our favorite candidate 2 for the survey command position.

--Mav

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
Well, Mr Starion, I would like to know what's your program is as minister of Commerce. I personnaly think that the private sector is much more efficient than the State when it comes to freight and colonists transport. Private shipyards can constructs ships with much less minerals and since fuel is money, privately-operated ships tend to be much more fuel-efficient.

Apart from a small fleet of freighter (maybe as little a 125,000 tons of cargo capacity) and a coule of cryo ships, we do not need to own anything. Civilians  shipping lines, if properly supported, will provide cheap transportation, infrastructures and pay taxes over the top!

Thus, as a Minister for Commerce, my policy would be a creating a vibrant civilian economy, and settle as many world as worth.

I also ask that the Ministry of Commerce be given oversight over the Planetary Environment Terraforming Agency. Terraforming is an integral part of colonizing, but the high level of technology involved and the potential risk from terrorrism mean it must be state-controlled.

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Senator Sheb: All extra curriculum activities will need to be proposed into government and ratified by the electorate (polled) and then put into the charter, as law.

There will be many activities that fall out of scope of the minimum charter, I suggest you raise this as a point of order in the next government sitting. Which I believe is a good one and is showing your credibility as a good representative for the commerce industry.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:13:54 PM by ardem »

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »
I believe healthy subsidies to the private sector should be encouraged to foster growth in civilian freight, colonization and travel efforts.

I support having terraforming under the purview of the colonization and commerce division and believe our terraforming assets should be mobile and self contained to allow the best use of those resources.

I strongly support civilian mining of asteroids and moons supplemented by mining ships for lower value locations.

I believe is it important to spread humanity throughout the stars, but it must be done in a reasoned and responsible manner. We must work with our military to ensure our expansion can be adequately protected.

The government does need to control some freighters but the investment need not be large. We do need to control jump ring construction vessels and build a network of such gateways such as to allow our civilian companies access to the widest possible markets and greatest variety of goods and resources.

Orion

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »
So you're basically for copying my agenda and make it yours.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
No, you're copying my agenda. I cannot help that it's the best way to perform these operations.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Sheb for commerce and colonization, he was the first to give us a complete idea of his policies, and his competitor has simply copied them for his own.  This shows a lack of creativity that I for one do not find appealing in a policy setter.

Offline areyoua

• a
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
I, George Payne, would like to announce my application to the Ministry of Infrastructure. 
Not only does there seem to be nobody who is willing to take up the position, I have a plan to make our glorious nation become a glorious, space-faring nation.  If I were to be accepted at the position, I would commence by building ship components using our industry that would then be used on building survey ships in order to explore our surroundings to see if there are any threats to humanity or planets suitable for mankind to walk upon.  Of course, the shipyards not building survey ships would still be building warships and commercial ships, just not with the support of our construction factories.  In terms of commercial ships I would prioritize the building of Jump Gate Construction Ships and Terraforming ships in order to allow ships without jump drives to freely go to planets of interest and to transform those planets of interest into new homes for humanity.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
Shouldn't the industry's priority be to develop itself? How much of our industrial capacity do you plan to use on construction facotries, mine and scientifics institutes? All together, they should represent at the very least 50% of our industry.