Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 273308 times)

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1410 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:22 AM »
I'm sure it's been suggested before, but to bring it back to your attention:

I would like some kind of visual indicator regarding the fuel needed to fulfill the orders assigned to a fleet.  A simple indication in the naval organization> fleet tab (maybe next to the all orders distance and travel time required) that indicates in red if the fleet lacks enough fuel to finish all current orders or yellow if it passes the point of no return.
This would definitely help us better plan routes and avoid stranded fleets out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. 

This could only be an estimate as the distance is never precisely known, because destinations can move.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1411 on: February 03, 2021, 12:54:51 AM »
Suggestion: Some kind of combat engineer training similar to the environment training you can give ground units.

My idea is to have combat engineer infantry reduce enemy fortification levels similar to the way construction units increase them.  Combat engineer units would have terrible or maybe even no attack; satchel charges are a lot less effective than laser guns against people or tanks.  They would also reduce fortification significantly faster than construction vehicles build it; it's much faster to blow up a bunker than build one.  Last, I would have combat engineer training severely reduce a unit's dodge ability, both to balance it and to represent the fact that they have to get much closer to their targets and possible sit exposed affixing demolitions charges to them.

The following users thanked this post: Black, serger

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1412 on: February 03, 2021, 01:50:47 AM »
1) Ability to tug wrecks!
2) An installation that can change mineral accessibility.   
3) Ability to turn prisoners of war into a population of an alien race. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:19:04 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, LiquidGold2, Gabrote42

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1413 on: February 03, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »
First Suggestion:

The ability to mothball ships and demobilize ground units.

Mothballed ships would take up 1/100th of its usual maintenance capacity, require no crew or officers, and be drained of all its fuel, munitions, and MSP. It will, however, run down its maintence clock at 1/10th the speed of normal regardless of maintence facilities present.

Demobilized ground units will maintain only a fraction of their strength and cut down on the financial burden of keeping them dramatically. They also do not need officers. Once mobilized however, they require some time to get back up to fighting strength.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1414 on: February 03, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
First Suggestion:

Mothballed ships would take up 1/100th of its usual maintenance capacity, require no crew or officers, and be drained of all its fuel, munitions, and MSP. It will, however, run down its maintence clock at 1/10th the speed of normal regardless of maintence facilities present.

Demobilized ground units will maintain only a fraction of their strength and cut down on the financial burden of keeping them dramatically. They also do not need officers. Once mobilized however, they require some time to get back up to fighting strength.
Mothballed ships were a thing in VB Aurora, but were removed. Searching the VB threads would tell you why. I don't recall and I'm not sure which version it was removed in.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1415 on: February 03, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »
First Suggestion:

Mothballed ships were a thing in VB Aurora, but were removed. Searching the VB threads would tell you why. I don't recall and I'm not sure which version it was removed in.

I don't think it ever existed in Aurora - IIRC it was one of the design decisions at the outset.  It DID exist in Starfire Assistant tho, and was perceived to cause some difficulties there as players could build ships straight into mothballs,  building up huge reserves that could be reactivated very quickly (at about 45% of the cost of a new build), which meant that it was economically beneficial if the unit was not paying maintenance for 5+ turns.  There was a bit of a risk in that the unit might be behind the current tech level but I think you could refit while in mothballs which would mitigate that.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1416 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:37 PM »
I actually originally thought mothballs were going to be a thing in C#, having followed that conversation.  I have absolutely no idea why the idea died, presumably I missed something.

First Suggestion:

I don't think it ever existed in Aurora - IIRC it was one of the design decisions at the outset.  It DID exist in Starfire Assistant tho, and was perceived to cause some difficulties there as players could build ships straight into mothballs,  building up huge reserves that could be reactivated very quickly (at about 45% of the cost of a new build), which meant that it was economically beneficial if the unit was not paying maintenance for 5+ turns.  There was a bit of a risk in that the unit might be behind the current tech level but I think you could refit while in mothballs which would mitigate that.

I'm not sure that any of those things are a bad thing per se.  As posed they still would have had a cost.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

Offline Kishmond

• Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #1417 on: February 03, 2021, 09:56:04 PM »
I think we need an installation that can increase or decrease surface temperature i.e. orbital mirrors.

I'm trying to make one of Minerva's moons a bit more habitable but I can only raise its temperature by 30 degrees with 5 atm of aestusium.

The following users thanked this post: Stormtrooper

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #1418 on: February 04, 2021, 03:14:47 AM »
I think we need an installation that can increase or decrease surface temperature i.e. orbital mirrors.

I'm trying to make one of Minerva's moons a bit more habitable but I can only raise its temperature by 30 degrees with 5 atm of aestusium.

Oh yeah, terraforming Nibiru... from -253 to -210 degrees, just gread. To add to this I'd love a bit more depth into terraforming, for example having to care about building magnetic field.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1419 on: February 04, 2021, 03:47:14 AM »
I'd like to see surface construction like Atmosphere Heater Reactor, that will increase atmosphere temperature by some fixed value * reactor tech bonus / ( surface square * atmosphere density ). It might give an interesting option to terraform outermost small planets, that cannot gain enough light to heat up through the greenhouse effect.
These structures might give also very significant thermal signatures.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1420 on: February 04, 2021, 08:41:19 AM »
An option for "Interrupt Mitigation". This would work so that if it's checked, similar to auto-turns, the game wouldn't stop until the desired increment happened. This would work by saving the desired increment length and adding up the time that had passed each subpulse and if an NPR interrupt happened, the game would immediately click an increment button and continue to do so until the desired time had passed. The idea is to circumvent the fact that NPRs need new increments to think.
Example: Player clicks 5 days. An NPR gets detected by another NPR at 2 days 6 hours. Since "Interrupt Mitigation" is checked, the game will click 1 day. The NPR ship gets undetected at 2 days 12 hours. Step 3) repeats twice. Now that the time is at 4 days 12 hours, and that's less than 24 hours, the game clicks (whatever is most efficient, probably 8 hours). And so becoming smaller and smaller until the elapsed time is 5 days, where the game stops.
This might require tagging events to see which ones interrupt this sequence, or just use whatever controls if the event is visible.
Feedback appreciated! Will read tomorrow.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1421 on: February 04, 2021, 10:40:19 AM »

I believe the max atmo is 3 for gaining any effect of Greenhouse or Anti-G gasses. Just fyi, you can move the Terraformers on to the next project at that point.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1422 on: February 04, 2021, 11:27:25 AM »

I believe the max atmo is 3 for gaining any effect of Greenhouse or Anti-G gasses. Just fyi, you can move the Terraformers on to the next project at that point.

Its not max atmo but the greenhouse factor being 3 that stops atmosphere from affecting temperature

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1423 on: February 04, 2021, 01:48:03 PM »
Hi ladies,

what do you think of going full Star Wars and adding planetary shields to the game? They would make a great addition to planetary defense and could help preventing some collateral damage from bombing.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1424 on: February 04, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
Hi ladies,

what do you think of going full Star Wars and adding planetary shields to the game? They would make a great addition to planetary defense and could help preventing some collateral damage from bombing.

I'm not sure, it sounds really cool but orbital bombardment is already pretty balanced, a planetary shield would make orbital bombardment even weaker and there is already a counter to both missile and beam orbital bombardment in the form of STOs.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee