Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 273341 times)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2055 on: August 15, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »
It would be nice to have a flag for NO Civilian Mining Colonies.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, Zhukov, Density

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2056 on: August 15, 2021, 11:26:45 PM »
In my current game, I seem not to be able to change the production cycle. Is it possible only at the start?

Just edit, Save Settings, save the game and restart - you'll see changes. It's minor interface bug, it was already reported IIRC.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2057 on: August 22, 2021, 05:21:12 AM »
Hey Steve.

Would be possible to add a checkbox in the officers screen to show only those that are unnassigned? That would be a great QoL improve for those, as me, enjoy the officers assigment, organizing, moving, etc. part of the game.

Also, I'm thinking how to improve the auto-assigment in order to make it much more efficient and avoid ships without CO and officers free of assigment. Nnow it assigns those officers with an specific skill to specific ship, minning for minners, survey for explorations, etc.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, serger, nuclearslurpee

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2058 on: August 22, 2021, 08:28:39 AM »
So, we have a mechanic to automatically assign Governors to colonies.

Slight issue though, as my Sector Commander is reassigned as a colony governer every time I hit "Reassign all governers". Please make Sector Commander excluded from auto-assigning.

Also, I wish there was the same mechanic to automatically assign Sector Commanders, Academy Leaders and Naval Command officers.
Alternatively there should be an interrupt in the events for when assigned personnel is no longer available.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2059 on: August 22, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
Also, I'm thinking how to improve the auto-assigment in order to make it much more efficient and avoid ships without CO and officers free of assigment.

The auto-assignment already does this about as well as it can. Ship commands are always preferred over auxiliary positions (XO, Chief Engineer, Tactical Officer, etc.).

The main "limitation" left is that officers with no relevant skills will not be assigned to any role, or if their only relevant skills are for roles that aren't open they will not fill that role. It's a bit of an open question whether or not this is the best approach, but in my observation officers will usually after sitting around for a few years pick up some kind of useful bonus and earn an assignment, or else continued fleet expansion will provide the necessary job openings.

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2060 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »
The main "limitation" left is that officers with no relevant skills will not be assigned to any role, or if their only relevant skills are for roles that aren't open they will not fill that role.

This is what I am talking about. I can't understand that a very expensive organization as the navy will have just one officer, that needed a lot of money to be totally educated, sat in a chair filling sudokus. I guess the navy would assign him/her to any vacancy available.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2061 on: August 23, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
The main "limitation" left is that officers with no relevant skills will not be assigned to any role, or if their only relevant skills are for roles that aren't open they will not fill that role.

This is what I am talking about. I can't understand that a very expensive organization as the navy will have just one officer, that needed a lot of money to be totally educated, sat in a chair filling sudokus. I guess the navy would assign him/her to any vacancy available.

I agree from a flavor point of view, but from a gameplay point of view this makes sense, as (1) the officers with no relevant skill will not have any effects, and (2) leaving the position vacant allows a later-generated officer to immediately fill the role - if the role is filled by an unqualified officer then whenever a new officer is generated the game must check every command to see if an unqualified officer should be removed, which sounds like a huge mess to try and implement.

I think it is fine, because Aurora is not detailed enough to model this as well as we might like - we also lack many of the junior officer desk jobs or staff officer roles in administrative positions (and in the ground forces for that matter) which is needed to have truly realistic officer corps. Given this I think erring on the side of gameplay was the right decision. Plus it is always possible to assign an officer manually if you feel it is needed.

Offline Elminster

« Reply #2062 on: August 23, 2021, 02:03:10 PM »
You are all missing an important point.

For example, take a modern Carrier (say the Nimitz). You have the Captain (I don't know if he's even higher in rank, doesn't matter), the XO, CAG, maybe an Engineering Officer. All this is also present in Aurora. But... on the Nimitz there are hundreds of additional Lieutenant, Lt. Cmdr., Commander for various roles which are not represented in Aurora.

So, every Officer not assigned to an active command post in Aurora could just fullfil one of those hundreds of unnamed positions.
If they get some actual skills, they will eventually get an important position. ;)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2063 on: August 23, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »

For example, take a modern Carrier (say the Nimitz). You have the Captain (I don't know if he's even higher in rank, doesn't matter), the XO, CAG, maybe an Engineering Officer. All this is also present in Aurora. But... on the Nimitz there are hundreds of additional Lieutenant, Lt. Cmdr., Commander for various roles which are not represented in Aurora.

So, every Officer not assigned to an active command post in Aurora could just fullfil one of those hundreds of unnamed positions.
If they get some actual skills, they will eventually get an important position. ;)

This is kind of what I was implying. I implicitly assume all of my unassigned officers are at Naval HQ sitting at desks pushing pencils and arguing about particle beams.  :P

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #2064 on: August 23, 2021, 05:54:18 PM »

This is kind of what I was implying. I implicitly assume all of my unassigned officers are at Naval HQ sitting at desks pushing pencils and arguing about particle beams.  :P

Are they pushing pencils or stabbing each other with them?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2065 on: August 23, 2021, 05:55:07 PM »

Are they pushing pencils or stabbing each other with them?

"Or"?  ;)

Offline Elminster

« Reply #2066 on: August 24, 2021, 12:45:24 AM »

Officer's Mikado (pick-a-stick), whoever moves first has lost.  ;D

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2067 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »
I had some ideas regarding ground forces that might give players more interesting options when designing their troops. They're largely focused on making infantry and other small unit types more useful. (There are a number of other higher-priority balance and QOL improvements that could be made to ground forces, but those have been discussed extensively elsewhere.)

One idea is a new infantry-only capability called "Infiltration" or "Commando Tactics" or something like that which would double the unit's breakthrough probability (that is, it would negate the 50% reduction in breakthrough probability that infantry have relative to vehicles).

A more extensive addition would be to add new technologies that allow the larger anti-vehicle weapons to be used by smaller unit types, kind of like the compact and small craft ECM/ECCM tech lines. So after researching SHAV, for instance, you would unlock a tech that allows HAV weapons to be used by smaller vehicles and then eventually by infantry. (For the sake of balance I think you'd probably want them to be the same size as the standard weapons, although miniaturizing them for infantry use does make more sense than having infantry somehow dragging around a giant gun.) After all, if the US could deploy tactical nuclear weapons to infantry units in the Cold War, I imagine Trans-Newtonian militaries will find all sorts of new and creative ways of putting massive firepower into the hands of their grunts. :)

Both these additions would give infantry a more useful place on the front lines and allow for more variety and RP opportunities in ground forces design. The first idea is likely easier to implement and balance than the second, but I think they could both probably be made to work.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2068 on: August 24, 2021, 01:42:37 PM »
I had some ideas regarding ground forces that might give players more interesting options when designing their troops. They're largely focused on making infantry and other small unit types more useful. (There are a number of other higher-priority balance and QOL improvements that could be made to ground forces, but those have been discussed extensively elsewhere.)

words

Both these additions would give infantry a more useful place on the front lines and allow for more variety and RP opportunities in ground forces design. The first idea is likely easier to implement and balance than the second, but I think they could both probably be made to work.

I'm confused - in what way are infantry or small unit types not useful? I will concede that the SHV/UHV types are excessively effective against NPRs, but this is because the NPRs are not able to adapt their formations and tactics to handle them. Even so, infantry and smaller unit types are still very much effective in their intended roles - infantry for instance may not be as durable as a SHV but they are much cheaper/quicker to build and allow putting the maximum amount of firepower into the field per ton/BP due to having a zero base weight.

The only real problem I can think of is the better tonnage efficiency of VEH versus LVH, but this is at least partly counteracted by the relative fragility of VEH in a sustained battle so I am not sure if it is a problem or not. If so, an easy fix is to adjust the tonnages of the base types slightly (say, 10/20/40 instead of 12/18/36) which is an easy DB edit.

One idea is a new infantry-only capability called "Infiltration" or "Commando Tactics" or something like that which would double the unit's breakthrough probability (that is, it would negate the 50% reduction in breakthrough probability that infantry have relative to vehicles).

Infantry is already very efficient, and need to have some significant limitations compared to vehicles. Eliminating the breakthrough probability weakness for infantry would eliminate this key limitation and actually make vehicles much worse in comparison. There is probably a price point at which this is "balanced" but it is a very sensitive balance and not one I could see Steve wanting to spend a lot of time searching for.

A more extensive addition would be to add new technologies that allow the larger anti-vehicle weapons to be used by smaller unit types, kind of like the compact and small craft ECM/ECCM tech lines. So after researching SHAV, for instance, you would unlock a tech that allows HAV weapons to be used by smaller vehicles and then eventually by infantry. (For the sake of balance I think you'd probably want them to be the same size as the standard weapons, although miniaturizing them for infantry use does make more sense than having infantry somehow dragging around a giant gun.) After all, if the US could deploy tactical nuclear weapons to infantry units in the Cold War, I imagine Trans-Newtonian militaries will find all sorts of new and creative ways of putting massive firepower into the hands of their grunts. :)

I am not sure why this is really necessary? We can already put the heavier weapon types (except for AC - which would be a simple DB mod if it is bothersome) into a STA base, which is intended to represent such heavy weapons that require more infrastructure to operate than just a couple of guys carrying them. Despite the perhaps misleading name, "Static" units are not intended to be limited to only heavily fortified gun emplacements, bunkers, etc. but really represent anything that is not easily foot-mobile. For example, a STA+MB unit can be thought of as a 40-ton bombardment component plus a 12-ton unarmored truck to tow the gun into position. Imagination need not be limited by the name of things in the game interface.

And mechanically, for the added 12 tons one gains triple the HP compared to an infantry weapon which is very much worth it for a heavy bombardment or AV weapon, so there is little gain from making MB/HB/HAV/etc. "foot-mobile" in game terms.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #2069 on: August 24, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
It would be nice to have a flag for NO Civilian Mining Colonies.

You could just make an empty colony on any planet you want exclusive mining rights in, couldn't you?