Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 122657 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »
I am very happy to see Steve add that 100 ton wiggle room for not auto-adding a bridge when you go over 1,000 tons; it's always been a pain in my rear end when designing FACs (I like FACs so I use them a lot.)

Not so thrilled about the crew training change, however. Chucking a fleet into a training admin command was simple, straightforward and easy. Now I'll have to micromanage swapping out commanders for smaller ships without an auxiliary control for an XO? No thanks. And inexperienced fleet fire delay penalties are bad enough to make this matter. Maybe the new fire at will option will mitigate that? Iunno. I might just play with experience penalties turned off, instead. Guess we'll see.

The crew grade and fleet training rules haven't changed. The only change was changing the crew training bonus from numeric to percentage.

The following users thanked this post: Demetrious

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »
The crew grade and fleet training rules haven't changed. The only change was changing the crew training bonus from numeric to percentage.

Oh, thank God. I misread your post. I very much like the admin command approach to training!

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
For v1.14, as soon as a freighter accepts the contract for a given installation, even if it is in a different system to the pickup point, the supply and demand amounts for the start and destination populations are adjusted accordingly. This makes it much easier to see if the contracts are being met, even though the involved ships may still be underway, and eliminates the potential for oversupply.

I think this is already the case...at least, I have observed it to be the case when the freighter is in the same system as the supply site. (I haven't tested for inter-system effects.)

The problem I have observed is that when a freighter finishes loading at the supply site, the Assigned amount on the demand contract decreases by 1.
As a result, if additional supply is available (either currently, or becomes available before this freighter finishes this delivery), another available freighter will be assigned to this same demand unit.

I don't think the Assigned amount on the delivery contract should decrement until the freighter completes the delivery.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
For v1.14, as soon as a freighter accepts the contract for a given installation, even if it is in a different system to the pickup point, the supply and demand amounts for the start and destination populations are adjusted accordingly. This makes it much easier to see if the contracts are being met, even though the involved ships may still be underway, and eliminates the potential for oversupply.

I think this is already the case...at least, I have observed it to be the case when the freighter is in the same system as the supply site. (I haven't tested for inter-system effects.)

The problem I have observed is that when a freighter finishes loading at the supply site, the Assigned amount on the demand contract decreases by 1.
As a result, if additional supply is available (either currently, or becomes available before this freighter finishes this delivery), another available freighter will be assigned to this same demand unit.

I don't think the Assigned amount on the delivery contract should decrement until the freighter completes the delivery.

The decrement of the demand and supply amounts were handled within the load and unload movement orders. I've deleted that code now. The assignment of contracts also took into account existing orders for both the supply and demand populations. That code is also gone now because as soon as a freighter accepts the contract, the supply and demand amounts at the respective populations are reduced by the capacity of that freighter. The process is now much simpler and therefore less prone to bugs.

The following users thanked this post: Ektor, skoormit

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »
Adding the "pirates" sounds fun. This makes the planetary protection value actually valuable. They do not have to be strong at all. A gun and some boarding troops would be just fine and would require in system security forces.

I guess I will wait for 1.14 and not play 1.13 ;)

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2021, 12:23:29 PM »
Might want to rethink that Kilo.  It was several months before we got 1.13.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:59:19 PM by Kristover »

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
The downside is that a contract might be accepted and then the civilian freighter lost to enemy action. The player would need to adjust the supply and demand in that situation. In v1.14, the cargo on destroyed ships will be listed in the destruction event.

Can you re-add the demand to the destination in case of destruction?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »
I really love the pirate mechanic... seems really thematic and fun. The game really needed a reason for rear area patrol forces to exist and this is a perfect mechanic for that.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2021, 02:03:15 PM »
The downside is that a contract might be accepted and then the civilian freighter lost to enemy action. The player would need to adjust the supply and demand in that situation. In v1.14, the cargo on destroyed ships will be listed in the destruction event.

Yes, I should have thought of that myself. All the information to do that is already available. I'll update the post accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: Kelewan

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »

Yes, I should have thought of that myself. All the information to do that is already available. I'll update the post accordingly.

While you are at the civilian contract code... would it be possible to make it so I can put a high demand at some place and the supply on another without the game complaining if there is no physical building to pick up... the ship assigned to the demand should just go there and wait... you could add in that a message appear if a specific time goes and no item appear for them to pick up.

The reason being that sometimes you just want 100 mines to a colony and you don't want to calculate how long it will take another colony to make them and just set up the supply/demand and leave it, it will eventually be fulfilled. And if you do it improperly such as setting the supply of some colony that don't build any mines an even will eventually pop up saying there are no supply available and the supply order will be cancelled.

Or something like it... this would help immensely with automation orders and I would not have to babysit my supply/demand orders so closely.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2021, 02:10:54 PM »
I really love the pirate mechanic... seems really thematic and fun. The game really needed a reason for rear area patrol forces to exist and this is a perfect mechanic for that.
It's a good middle point between none and full sized enemy invasion once they find a hidden JP in your home system.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2021, 03:17:20 PM »
Since pirates are being added as an incentive to protect colonies, will tge unrest from lack of protection be scrapped as redundant?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »
Since pirates are being added as an incentive to protect colonies, will tge unrest from lack of protection be scrapped as redundant?

I think with pirates running around, the colonists are even more likely to be upset if you don't leave any forces to protect them :)

Also, the pirates are optional so would not replace PPV in all games anyway.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2021, 05:37:52 PM »
Cargo Handling Modifier = Number of Cargo Shuttle Bays * Admin Command Bonus * Commander Logistics Bonus * Race Cargo Shuttle Load Modifier

Double checking: are the bonuses for Planetary and Sector governors calculated as part of the Admin Command Bonus?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2021, 05:45:28 PM »
Cargo Handling Modifier = Number of Cargo Shuttle Bays * Admin Command Bonus * Commander Logistics Bonus * Race Cargo Shuttle Load Modifier

Double checking: are the bonuses for Planetary and Sector governors calculated as part of the Admin Command Bonus?

No, its just the admin commanders.